Shanghai Travel Guide
Shanghai has a long history as a gateway to China and the Yangtze River delta. It is also the largest economic and trade center in China, and one of China's cultural centers.
Top Reasons to Visit Shanghai
- Shanghai is China's largest and richest city: China's biggest and most prosperous city oozes an atmosphere of vitality and rival New York and Paris in terms of modernity.
- A Blend of Eastern and Western Cultures: Shanghai's colonial legacy combined with Chinese culture has created a unique fusion of East and West.
- Ease of Onward Trips: From Shanghai it is easy to travel to Xian to see the Terracotta Army or up to Beijing to see the Forbidden City and the Great Wall of China, or to Guilin to see the beautiful karst landscape.
- Shanghai's gorgeous night scene: One of the main highlights that will linger in visitors' mind. As night descends the entire city is lit up by colorful lights.
- More Reasons to Visit Shanghai
Shanghai has emerged as one of the most popular travel destinations worldwide. Shanghai is constantly improving the travel infrastructure and facilities to ensure tourists exceptional and memorable experience, and many choose to return.
A Blend of Eastern and Western Cultures
Shanghai retains China's last vestige of its unusual colonial past. The architecture along the Bund area is a living museum of the colonial history of the 1800s, and visitors find themselves immersed in thoughts of a bygone era.
Shanghai stands in the front line of China's economic development and has undergone unimaginable changes in the last two decades. The new Pudong area with its prosperous cosmopolitan features is guaranteed to wow visitors.
Shanghai is a renowned green city. Lush green covers all the open space of the city.
Shanghai Walking and Biking
Although Shanghai is a very busy city with heavy traffic, the old part of the city has a lot of quiet streets which you may bike around to have a look at old Shanghai. See our Shanghai biking guide.
Best time to travel Shanghai is autumn and spring when the weather is pleasant. Hot summer and cold winter are also good seasons to travel in terms of cost.
Hi Alister, glad to hear that. Next time, our tour guide will teach you some words of the local language. Welcome to China again.Whitney Liao Replied on 2013-03-27
Hi Mark, sorry, I don't know the cities you mentioned above.Whitney Liao Replied on 2013-03-08
Hi Kelly, we have 11-Day Beijing, Xian, Chongqing, Yangtze, Yichang and Shanghai Tour here: http://www.chinahighlights.com/tour/cht-62/ Hope you like it.
As an online travel agency, we don't have booklets, but we have a huge website, you can check almost all the travel information here: http://www.chinahighlights.com/tour/
If you are interested in any of them, or need tour tailor made, we are very glad to offer our utmost assistance.Whitney Liao Replied on 2013-02-28
- Things to Do
- Top Reasons to Visit
- Top Things to Do
- Things to Do With Kids
- Chinese Name: 上海
- Chinese Pinyin: Shang hai
- Location: East of China
- Latitude: 31° 14' N
- Longitude: 121° 29' E
- Elevation: 4.5 M (15 FT)
- Area Code: 021
- Population: 19.2 million
- Time Zone: (UTC+8)