Anshun Travel Guide
Anshun, located in the middle of Guizhou Province and the eastern part of Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau, is one of the nine hot destinations of China and the tourism center of west Guizhou province. With a total population of 2,523,000, Anshun has an area of 9,264 sq. km with an altitude of 1,300 meters. Once an important centre for tea trading, Anshun remains the commercial hub of western Guizhou.
As the center of South China Karst physiognomy, Anshun features abundant rivers, waterfalls, gorges, caves, stone forests, lakes and underground rivers. There are totally over one hundred waterfalls and 1200 caves. The famous attractions include Huangguoshu Waterfall: one of the Largest Waterfalls of Asia; Dragon Palace (Longgong Cave): a marvelous Karst Wonder ;Tianxingqiao Scenic Area featured potted landscape, various grotesque limestone formations, caves, stone forest on water, waterfalls, forest and lakes, offers visitors a pleasant hiking environment.
As an ethnic minority group area, Anshun has kept intact its unique folklore. Stone village (Shitou Zhai) is a Buyi ethnic village where all the architectures in the village are made of stone, stone houses, stone walls, flagstone roofs, flagstone roads, stone bridges and stone banks. It is said to be the Birthplace of wax painting. The rich traditional festivals and customs of Buyi people are feast for tourists' eyes.
Besides, Anshun is an ideal place to discover ancient Han ethnic culture. Tianlong Tunpu (Village Fortress), built during the reign of Emperor Zhu Yuanzhang of Ming Dynasty (1368AD to 1644 AD), is valued highly by experts as the living fossil of Han ethnic culture and the last ancient village of Ming Dynasty in the world. The villagers are called Tunpu people who still live in forts and keep a simple and peculiar army style, retaining their traditional Ming lifestyles, clothing and hair styles. Dixi Drama is an exclusive ritual dance of Tunpu people which contains functions of drama, sacrificing and entertainment. It is staged up by during the period of Chinese New Year, at festivals and celebrations and the months after harvest.
Food and Restaurants
Anshun food features sour and spicy flavor which is rich in kinds and tasted delicious. The famous snacks include Broiled Mini Xiang Pig, Buckwheat cool bean jelly and Fried Egg Cake (made from the choice rice and soy bean and is stuffed with meat).
Broiled Mini Xiang Pig
Mini Xiang Pig is also named Qian Gui Mini Xiang Pig. It is a kind of pig produced in Guizhou province (called Qian for short) and Guangxi province (called Gui for short) exclusively. As it is raised in the mountainous area with high altitude and low temperature all year round, Mini Xiang Pig grows short and small with the maximum weight of five kilogram. They are featured small bone, thin skin and the pork is tasted delicate and springy. Miao ethnic people broil it with special season, which makes the dish fragrant, pure, and delicate.
Buckwheat Cool Bean Jelly
Buckwheat Cool Bean Jelly is the favorite snack of Anshun people, especially for the young people. It is made from the powder of sweet buckwheat planted on the Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau, seasoned with preserved spicy bean curd, chili oil, fried soy bean and pignut. It is tasted hot and spicy. Sometimes, Anshun people like to put some fragrant vinegar into it to enhance the appetite.
Genuine Anshun food is usually can be found at local night markets. The night markets of Anshun mainly concentrate at the Xiaoshizi (Small Cross) of Dongjie Street and Guofu Street. Besides, there are many snack stalls serve local food at Tashan Road. Many distinct restaurants with sightseeing gazebos can be found in Huangguoshu Waterfall Scenic Area, where tourists can admire the beautiful scenic while having meals.
Anshun is located at 105.26-106.56E and 25.35-26.62N with the altitude of 560-1500 meters. The weather is mild and agreeable without severe winter and intense heat of summer. The annual average temperature is 57.2 - 60.8 °F. July is the month with the highest temperature of 71.6 - 75.2 °F and January is the lowest: 39.2 - 44.6 °F.
1. Best time to go: July and August. It is cooler than many other places of China in summer. Anshun is in raining season at that time and the water amount of Huangguoshu Waterfall, one of the most famous scenic spots of Anshun, is abundant and of great momentum which makes the Huangguoshu Waterfall a spectacular sight.
2. Buses traveling form Anshun city to Huangguoshu Waterfall Scenic Area and Longgong Palace Scenic are available.
3. Tourists should take umbrellas or raincoat with them when visiting Huangguoshu Waterfall. Otherwise they will be totally wet. They can also buy umbrellas at the scenic spot at the price of 10 Yuan.
4. Good places for shooting a good picture of Huangguoshu Waterfall: (1) Rhinoceros Pool where the scenery, angel of the view and the light are the best. (2) Waterfall-Viewing Pavilion (Guan Pu Ting): it is nice to have an overlook of the waterfall; (3) the stone brand in the Water-curtain Cave, it’s a good place to shoot the rainbow; (4) Water-Viewing Pavilion (Wang shui Ting): Tourists can have a bird-view of the waterfall there.
5. There is a 300-meter-high escalator in Huangguoshu Waterfall Scenic Area, which is the highest one in Asia. The price is 50 yuan per person.
Anshun Police Station
Address: 36#, Shiwei Lu
Emergency Numbers: 110
Anshun People’s Hospital
Address: 22#, ShandongLu, Xixiu District, Anshun
The first People's Hospital in Xixiu District, Anshun
Address: 47#, Tashan Lu, Xixiu District
Internet bars are mostly distributed in the Minzhu Lu. It usually costs 2 RMB per hour. There are also many bars in other roads, which are difficult to find.
Questions and Answers About Anshun Travel Guide
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
- Chinese Name: 安顺
- Chinese Pinyin: ān shùn
- English Name: Anshun
- Province: Guizhou
- Location: Southeast of China
- Area: 9,264 sq. km. (3577 sq. mi.)
- Latitude: 26° 25' N
- Longitude: 105° 92' E
- Area Code: 0853
- Population: 2.67 million
- Time Zone: (UTC+8)