Fangshan World Geopark
As an in situ geological museum with sightseeing, recreation, scientific research, and education combined as one, Fangshan World Geopark is very rich in geological features, including surface karst landforms, granite landforms, subsurface karst caves, ancient human fossils, and paleontological fossils. It was listed on the World Heritage site list by UNESCO on September 19, 2006.
Fangshan World Geopark fully displays the geological evolution of North China from the Archaean era (2.5 billion years ago) to the Cenozoic era (current). It consists of 8 scenic areas:
- Zhoukoudian Peking Man Site Scenic Area
- Shihuadong Cave Cluster Scenic Area
- Shidu Karst Valley Scenic Area
- Shangfangshan Mountain — Yunju Temple Scenic Area
- Shenglianshan Mountain Scenic Area
- Baihuashan Mountain — Baicaopan Ecological Scenic Area
- Yesanpo Complex Scenic Area
- Baishishan Peaks and Waterfalls Scenic Area
Zhoukoudian Peking Man Site has evidence of ancient humans dated up to 750,000 years ago.
Shihuadong Cave Cluster Scenic Area features cascading karst caves holding dazzling array of stalagmites and stalactites.
Shidu Scenic Area is known as “the Fifty-Kilometer Gallery” in Beijing, and it’s an ideal place for rafting.
Baihuashan Scenic Area is famous for its marble clusters, and Shenglianshan Scenic Area its rugged limestone caves. Yunju Temple is a famous Buddhist temple with an over-1,300-year history, which is celebrated for its stone scriptures of various dynasties. Baishishan Great Wall retains well its original appearance, silently witnessing the history of China. Haotian Tower of Fangshan built in the Liao Dynasty is a masterpiece of Chinese architecture, which is of high scientific and aesthetic values.
Location: southwest suburb of Fangshan District of Beijing, 40 km from central Beijing
Transport: bus 917 takes you there directly from central Beijing
Opening times: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Questions and Answers About Fangshan World Geopark
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on August 28, 2013
See all my travel articles
- Beijing Things To Do
- Top Things to Do
- Top Reasons to Visit
- Things to Do With Kids