The Best Restaurants Around Chengdu's Major Attractions
As we all know tourist areas are notorious for raising the price a little. For this reason it is a good idea to avoid the "Sichuan Specialty Items" stores and buy souvenirs elsewhere. Also you probably don't want to go to an overpriced average restaurant.
In China it is important not to judge a restaurant by its appearance. Sometimes the best food comes from a place the size, shape, and perhaps even feel of a garage. Here are the best places for delicious food near the top tourist areas in Chengdu.
Zhugeliang Memorial (Wuhou Temple) and Jinli Ancient Street
The Zhugeliang Memorial is the place to go in Chengdu for those interested in the Shu Kingdom and Three Kingdoms Culture. Right next to that is Jinli Ancient Street where you can get a feeling for ancient China and try some bizarre food.
While visiting these places you have an excellent chance to try Tibetan food, because just across the street is a Tibetan area. A place that is sure to please is the Gresar Tibetan Restaurant. Try the homemade yogurt!
But if you want some good Chinese food have a try of what the locals recommend. Just outside of the local high school is Sanyikoufu Dumpling restaurant. You'll find all the basics here: rice, noodles, dumplings.
- Location of Gresar Tibetan: 30 Ximianqiaoheng Street 格萨尔藏餐吧 (洗面桥横街30号附9号)
- Location of Sanyikoufu: 52 Wuhouci Avenue三益口福抄手 (武侯区武侯祠大街52号)
Qingyang Palace and Dufu's Thatched Cottage
Those interested in Eastern philosophy can travel to Qingyang Palace to get a glimpse into Daoism. And just a little ways away is a place to contemplate poetry and learn about Dufu, a famous poet. In between these two places are the Sichuan museum and Huanhuaxi Park.
Chen Mapo, a great place for authentic Sichuan cuisine, is just across the street from the museum. Long Chaoshou around the corner is a famous place for noodles and dumplings. Closer to Dufu's cottage, Guanghua Niurou Guan is a great place for a unique meal. Try the fried bananas!
- Location of Chen Mapo: 8-10 Qinghua Street (Across the street from the Sichuan Museum) 陈麻婆川菜馆 (青羊区青华路8-10号)
- Location of Long Chaoshou: 9 North Huanhuaxi Road (Near Songxianqiao) 龙抄手 (青羊区浣花北路9号附3号)
- Location of Guanghua Niurou Guan: 55 Guanhuacun Street (next to the second south gate of the Southwestern University of Finance and Economics)光华牛肉馆(光华村街55号附12)
Wenshu Monastery is the center of Buddhism in Sichuan. The monks don't eat meat, but still make great tasting vegetarian food and you are invited to have a try. There is a restaurant in the monastery.
- Location: 15 Wenshu Monastery Road, Inside Wenshu Monastery (文殊院街15号文殊院内)
Wide and Narrow Alleys
These alleys are renovated, but still in the old style. Tai An Ju is a restaurant that serves dishes that the locals love, but others consider strange (pig snout, rabbit head, bullfrog). If you'd like something with less of a culture shock then head down to Hongshao Niurou Mian for some nice beef noodles. Finally, Lixue Niuza Hotpot is a well-known hotpot restaurant that Chengdu people enjoy.
- Location of Hongshao Niurou Mian: 125 Changshunshang Street 红烧牛肉面(长顺上街125号附3 )
- Location of Lixue Hotpot: 72 Xiatongren Street 李雪火锅食府(下同仁路72 )
- Location of Tai An Ju: 98 Changshunshang Street 太安居 (长顺上街98号附6号 )
Eat Real Chengdu Food with China Highlights
China Highlights tours take you to authentic local restaurants. Our Chengdu tours visit many of the attractions above, and if they don't include one of the above restaurants that you would like to eat at, our tours can be customized to your requirements at the inquiry stage.
- Chengdu Things to Do
- Top Things to Do
- Best Places to See Fall Foliage