Top 4 White River Rafting Locations around Chengdu
Chengdu is known for its amazing natural beauty. There are many rivers for go rafting in the summer. Here are four places for rafting around Chengdu.
Hongkou Rafting is located at the Hongkou Scenic Area, Dujiangyan. Hongkou Scenic Area, a newly opened area, is a national nature reserve where the primordial ecosystem is well-protected, including hills and mountains, gorges, clear springs, waterfalls and virgin forests. Such a natural beauty makes Hongkou Drifting known as “the first river drift in West China”.
The water there is clean and clear. The drifting line is 24.2 kilometers long with many rapids and slopes. The falls are usually one meter high. The line is divided into two parts for the brave men and the challenger respectively. The dangerous river and its natural surrounding beauty create a good environment for drifting where people can relax. Also, it is designated as the national whitewater kayak training base.
- Ticket: 140-170 yuan per person
- Opening hours for the scenic area: 8am-5pm
- Opening hours for drifting: 10am-5pm
- Location: Hongkou Scenic Area, Gaoyuanxin Village (Highlands New Village), Dujiangyan, Chengdu
- Transportation: take the Drive Chengguan Expressway from Chengdu to Dujiangyan and then to Hongkou.
Known as "the first river drift among hills and mountains", Xiling Gorge Rafting has high altitude and the big fall. It is one of the closest rafting site from Chengdu, only 80 minutes' drive.
The rafting features big falls - the biggest fall is 10 meters, with 100 meters' fall between the upper and lower streams, a long route (4 kilometers in length) with many treacherous rapids (more than 10 rapids and currents), and a long duration time (about one hour’s drifting).
It has a guaranteed water source (a reservoir with two million meters3 at the head of the river), advanced security facilities (people are required to wear special clothes uniformly) and there is a professional rescue team for the whole trip.
- Ticket: 128 yuan per person
- Opening hours: 9am-8pm
- Location: Yunhua Village, Xiling Town, Dayi County, Chengdu (成都大邑县西岭镇云华村)
Shunan Bamboo Sea in Yibin
Shunan Bamboo Sea is located in the south of Sichuan which has been called one of the ten most beautiful forests in China. Drifting among the bamboo forests, people can enjoy the fresh air and appreciate the wonderful scenery.
The drifting line is 2,578 kilometers. It begins near the Bamboo Sea Museum (竹海博物馆旁) and ends at the West Gate (西大门). The vertical falls are about 96 meters in total. The water flows gently from its beginning to the Wan’an reservoir (万安水库), thus it is called leisure drifting where people can enjoy the bamboo sea and smell the freshness of nature while drifting.
The exciting trip comes after the leisure drifting. There are nearly 85 meters of falls in total and many dangerous rapids in the back section which make people scream, especially women.
- Ticket: 127 yuan per person
- Opening hours: 9am-5pm
- Location: Shunan Bamboo Sea Scenic Area, Changning County, Yibin, Chengdu (四川省宜宾长宁县蜀南竹海景区)
- Transportation: take a non-stop bus at New Southern Gate Terminal (新南门客运站) in Chengdu or take a bus at Southern Bus Station (南客站) in Yibin; the bus there goes to Shunan Bamboo Sea every 30 minutes.
Wangyou Valley Rafting (忘忧谷）is situated 17 kilometers away from Mount Qingcheng Scenic Area which is a World Natural and Cultural Heritage Site. It is 60 kilometers away from Chengdu. The river for rafting begins from Lianghekou of Chaping Village (茶坪村两河口) to Lianghechang Town (两河场镇); it's about 4.5 kilometers long and takes nearly 90 minutes.
Self-rafting with a rubber raft is the new entertainment in tourism which incorporates the features of sports and amusement. Drifting down the river and going through many rapids with big falls and turning points makes tourists hold their breath and feel amazing. Along the river are rolling peaks and a vast stretch of bamboo groves. Therefore, there is nothing to worry about when drifting in such a fantastic environment, just as its name suggests.
- Ticket: 120 yuan per person
- Opening hours: 9am-6pm
- Location: Chaping Holiday Resort, Daguan Town, Dujiangyan, Chengdu (四川省成都市都江堰市大观镇茶坪旅游度假区)
- Transportation: take a high-speed train at Chengdu North Railway Station and get off at the last station, Mount Qingcheng, then take bus 102 to Daguan Town (over 10 minutes' drive), and then take a local minibus to Carefree Valley (10 minutes' drive).
Traveling with China Highlights
As all these rafting sites are located in areas which are not easy to access on your own, we recommend you to travel with a travel company. China Highlights can help you arrange your tour.
Questions and Answers About Top 4 White River Rafting Locations around Chengdu
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.