Luodai Ancient Town
- Luodai Ancient town has a history of 1,800 years. It was built by Emperor Liuchan during the Three Kingdoms Period.
- The Water Dragon Festival is held in the town every 26th and 27th of July.
- The town is very close to Chengdu city (20 km or a one-hour drive), and can be arranged as a day trip.
- Over 85% of the residents in the town are Hakka (Hakka is a branch of the Han nationality. They follow their ancient practices and traditions, are very friendly and have big hearts. Most Hakka people live in Guangdong and Fujian Provinces).
Luodai Ancient Town is the most well-preserved ancient Hakka town near Chengdu. It has a good reputation as "the best Hakka town in China." The Hakka residency and old street, which have thousands of years of history, are well preserved. While in this town, you can visit the Hakka museum and park, which take up an area of over 20,000 square meters, and experience the progression of Hakka history.
The Water Dragon Festival is held every 26th and 27th of July in Luodai. People go to the streets and splashing water on each other. It is how the locals send their best wishes to and bless each other.
Both man-made structures and natural beauty are perfectly combined in Luodai Ancient Town. No wonder people say that it is the "backyard of Chengdu."
The town enjoys very good transportation. There are highways connecting it with Chengdu city, and regular buses travel from Chengdu every day. You can take bus no. 81 or no. 58 at Chengdu city, which go to Wugui Bridge bus station. Public buses from Wugui Bridge go directly to Luodai every five minutes.
Traveling via private vehicle takes about half an hour from Chengdu to Luodai.
- Travelers can purchase replicas at the gift shop in town.
- Since Luodai Ancient Town is the residence of the Hakka people, the food there is mostly Hakka style cuisine, which is quite spicy and crisp.
I updated this article on February 12, 2014
See all my travel articles
- Chengdu Things to Do
- Top Things to Do
- Best Places to See Fall Foliage