Chinese Embassy in the USA
- Name Chinese Embassy in the USA
- Address: 2300 CONNECTICUT AVENUE, N.W., WASHINGTON D.C. 20008, U.S.A.
- Tel: 001-202-3282500,3282
- Fax: 001-202-3282582
- Office hours: 9:00-17:30 Monday to Friday
- Website: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/
- Email: CHINAEMBASSY_US@FMPRC.GOV.CN
Tourist (L) Visa Application
Mailed applications are not acceptable and will be returned. You may submit the application to the Visa Office of the Embassy or Consulate-General which holds consular jurisdiction over the state where you live in; if you cannot go in person, you may entrust someone else or a travel/visa agent to transact your application affairs. No appointment is required.
A neatly filled out L visa form, passport (with at least 6 months validity and at least on blank visa page), and a 2 inch passport style photo.
Fee and Payment Method
All USA visas cost $140 regardless of number of entries or duration of stay. If you are a citizen of another country living in the USA a 6-month single-entry L visa will typically cost $30. Cash or personal checks are not acceptable. Pay by Visa, MasterCard, money order, cashier's check or company check.
- The regular processing time is 4 working days (e.g. submission on Monday, pick up on Thursday).
- Express service: 2–3 working days processing, $20 will be charged per visa.
- Same day rush service: additional fee of $30 for 1 working day processing (applications presented before 12am may be picked up between 2:30–3pm on the same day).
Visas can be picked up on or after the pick-up date specified in the receipt. The receipt must be presented. Applicants can pay and pick up visas themselves or send an entrusted person or travel agency with the receipt.
Where to Apply
You need to choose the Visa Office of the Embassy or Consulate-General which holds consular jurisdiction over the state where you live. See figure below. Addresses, etc. follow the office hours info.
The embassy and the consulates generally have the same visa section office hours: 9:30am–12:30pm, 1:30pm–3pm (Monday–Friday, except holidays)
Holidays Schedule in 2011: New Year's Day, Martin Luther Kin's Birthday, Spring Festival, International Labor Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, National Day, Columbus' Day, Veterans' Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas
The Chinese Embassy Visa Office
- States covered: Washington DC, Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming
- Website: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/
- Address: 2201 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W. Suite 110, Washington, DC 20007.
- Automated Voice System: (202) 338-6688
- Telephone Consulting Service: (202) 337-1956
- Fax: (202) 588-9760
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Consulate-General of the People’s Republic of China in New York
No same day visa service in May, June and July 2011.
- States covered: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont
- Website: http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/eng/
- Address: 520 12th Ave., New York, NY 10036
- Tel: 001-212-244 9456
Consulate-General of the People’s Republic of China in Chicago
- States covered: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri and Wisconsin
- Website: http://www.chinaconsulatechicago.org/eng/
- Address: 100 WEST ERIE STREET, CHICAGO, IL 60610
- Tel: 001-312-8030095
- Fax: 001-312-8030110, 8030105
- E-mail: email@example.com
Consulate-General of the People’s Republic of China in San Francisco
- States covered: Alaska, Northern California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington
- Website: http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/eng/
- Address: 1450 LAGUNA ST. SAN FRANCISCO，CA 94115
- Tel: 001－415-6742900
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Consulate-General of the People’s Republic of China in Los Angeles
- States covered: Arizona, Southern California, Hawaii, New Mexico and Pacific Islands
- Address: Passport & Visa Office, 3rd Floor, 500 Shatto Place, Los Angeles, CA 90020. (The Chinese Consulate General in Los Angeles is located at 443 Shatto Place, Los Angeles, CA 90020
- Office hours: 9am to 2pm, Mon. to Fri. (Passport & Visa Office)
- Tel: 213-807-8006 (Passport & Visa Office)
- E-mail: email@example.com
Consulate-General of the People’s Republic of China in Houston
- States covered: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas
- Website: http://houston.china-consulate.org/eng/
- Address: 3417 MONTROSE BLVD. HOUSTON TX 77006 USA
- Tel: 001-713-5219996 (being available at 9–10am), 713-521-7495 (automatic voice)
- Fax: 001-713-5213064
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: This information was last updated on June 17, 2010. See the embassy website for confirmation: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/