There is a large zoo is in the southern part of Chongqing. Chongqing Zoo has an area of about 45 hectares. There are over 200 species of animals and 1,000 birds. There is a tea house and restaurants. There are pens or corrals for animals and amusement facilities, and the two kinds of pandas in the Panda Room are the star attraction.
The zoo has an interesting variety of animals and amusement facilities. There is the rare South China Tiger. It is thought to be about the rarest kind of tiger. There may be less than 20 left in the wild. They used to live in forests in southern China. They are smaller than most tigers, and look lankier. There is also a Tibetan bear with a yellowish colored head that dances when people give it coke or goodies.
In the Panda Room, visitors can see the giant pandas and the cat-like small pandas, as well as their off springs. Between 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. is the panda feeding time when you can see the pandas feeding. The small pandas are a species of animal that look like big but unusually long house cats that move strangely. I thought that they are fascinating. Even though they look like cats, they are more beautifully colored and don’t act like cats.
The amusement facilities include an open stage and a roller skating rink and a children’s play area. There are restaurants and places to get beverages.
The zoo was established in the 1950s. It is a mid-sized zoo. The panda enclosure is the zoo’s main draw. A giant panda there had three offspring which is kind of a record for captive pandas.
- Rare animals like pandas and the South China Tiger.
- Panda Room with both giant pandas and red pandas.
- Children’s play area, roller skating rink, stage, and restaurants.
- See the pandas and other animals.
- If you have children, they can enjoy the children’s amusement areas and roller skate.
Questions and Answers About Chongqing Zoo
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on November 27, 2012
See all my travel articles
- More about Chongqing
- Chongqing Facts
- Top Five Special Folk Arts in Chongqing
- Free Things to Do in Chongqing