Datong Airport is located in the north of Beijiazao Township, Datong County, about 15 kilometers from the downtown of Datong City. Flights to China's major cities, including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu and Shenyang are available.
There are free airport shuttle buses from the downtown of Datong to Datong Airport.
The bus route is as follow:
Datong Hotel—Datong Continental Hotel-- Civil aviation ticket office located at Yingbin Dong Road—Datong Airport.
The domestic railways such as Beijing - Baotou, Datong - Fenglingdu, Datong - Qinhuangdao lines as well as the international railways to Erlianhaote and Moscow all join in Datong, which makes its railway transportation quite convenient.
Datong Railway Station, located at North Xinjian Road, can be easily reached by No.2, 4, 8, 14, 16, and 21 buses. Everyday there are many trains leaving for many major cities of China such as Taiyuan, Beijing, Hangzhou, Baotou and Shenyang.
Besides the option of purchasing train tickets at the railway station itself, train tickets can be purchased at alternative railway ticket offices in the city's suburbs. Find Datong train ticket offices.
The bus network of Datong City is so fully-developed that it covers the whole city. The fare for the buses varies according to the distance.
There are more than 5,000 taxies in Datong City. The basic charge for a taxi is 5 yuan, and 1.2 yuan or 1.4 yuan is charged for every one more kilometer. Normally it costs 8 to 10 yuan from the city center to the railway station by taxi.
The highway network of Datong is well-developed, with more than ten main highways stretching to almost all parts of China. There are four long-distance bus stations in the city, namely Datong South Long-distance Bus Station, Datong North Long-distance Bus Station, Datong Xinpingwang Long-distance Bus Station, and Datong Xinnan Long-distance Bus Station.
- Datong South Long-distance Bus Station, located at No.20 West Yantong Road, mainly operates long-distance buses to many major cities of China including Beijing, Tangshan, Shijiazhuang, Qianjiang of Chongqing, Jinan, Luoyang, Baoding, Baochang, Hohhot and Baotou.
- Datong North Long-distance Bus Station, situated 200 meters west of Datong Railway Station, mainly runs the long-distance buses to Taiyuan and Shuozhou.
- Datong Xinpingwang Long-distance Bus Station, located 100 meters south of Department Store of Mining Affairs Bureau, mainly runs the long-distance buses to other cities, counties and townships in Shanxi Province as well as Beijing.
- Datong Xinnan Long-distance Bus Station, located at No.699 South Xinjian Road, mainly runs the long-distance buses to Taiyuan, Shuozhou and Beijing. The station can be reached by No.11, 15, 28, 30, 16 or 201 public buses.
Questions and Answers About Datong Transportation
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on December 16, 2012
See all my travel articles