Beijing’s Daxing Watermelon Festival
- Celebrated: May. 28 to May. 28
- Location: Beijing
Daxing District, in Beijing's southern suburbs, pays homage to the watermelon every May 28 during the Daxing Watermelon Festival.
Watermelons Compete for Title
Consider it a beauty pageant for this juicy red summertime fruit. Farmers from all over China bring their watermelons for a chance at the 10,000 yuan grand prize for the best watermelon. Watermelons compete in various categories on such characteristics as appearance, taste, sugar content and skin thickness.
This king of the watermelons' competition is held May 25, before the festival's official start, at the Chinese Watermelon Museum in Daxing. The winning watermelons are displayed during the festival, which started in 1988 as a way to promote tourism and economic development in Daxing.
Fun Festival Activities
Other festival activities include presentations on watermelon growing and modern Chinese agriculture, as well as folk art exhibits. Of course, eating watermelons is a part of the festivities, and visitors also can pick their own watermelons from the field to buy for eating at home.
Recommended Festival Tours
I updated this article on June 13, 2013
See all my travel articles
Questions and Answers About Beijing’s Daxing Watermelon Festival
Hi Sally, we can arrange such a van for you. How many people will be traveling with you, please?Whitney Liao replied on 2013-04-14
- Send your inquiry January 1 – February 28, 2014, and we will email you a US$30 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till December 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth US$300 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
- The coupon cannot be combined with any other coupons, promotions or discounts.