Qinghai Lake International Cycling Race
- Celebrated: Jul.
- Location: Qinghai
Qinghai Lake International Cycling Race is held at a high elevation of 3600 to 5000 meters above sea level. The height imposes a great challenge, even for serious cyclists. The cycling route, 1350 kilometers in length, runs around Qinghai Lake. The natural scenery along the cycling course is a lush green carpet of prairie framed by sweeps of rape flowers. Snowy mountain peaks in the distance are embraced by drifting clouds, highlighting their silhouettes. This natural beauty together with the height at which the race is held are the main reasons why the event lures competitors from around the world.
The event is held during the period from July to August every year since 2002. Co-organized by Qinghai Provincial Government, Union Cycliste Internationale, UCI Asia Tour and Chinese Cycling Association, it is the largest international road cycling race and top of its kind in Asia. The participants increase every year.
- Held in at the Roof of the World, Qinghai-Tibet Plateau with an average altitude of 3000 meters, the Tour of Qinghai Lake is the "highest" international road cycling race. It is really challenging and will put athletes’ physique to the test.
- The Tour of Qinghai Lake is a multi-day stage race of the highest level in Asia (2.HC) and attracted 147 riders from 21 teams, including UCI pro-continental teams, UCI continental teams and national Olympic teams in the Eighth Tour of Qinghai Lake 2009. The race distance was totally 1,356.4km in 2009’s competition. . It is not only popular with participants but also spectators, the number of who were unprecedented reaching three million in 2009.
- The race course takes Qinghai Lake as its center, which is one of the most astonishing sights of Qinghai Province. The breathtaking surroundings of Qinghai Province will compete with athletes’ tired muscles for attention.
- There are 43 ethnic groups in Qinghai Province, occupying 42.8% of the total population of the Province. The minorities that have lived here since ancient times are Tibetan, Hui, Tu, Shala, Mongolia, etc. Their hospitality and rich customs add much more charm to the completion.
Time: During the period from July to August
Venue: Qinghai Province (located in the northeast of Northwest China’s Qinghai-Tibet Plateau.)
Registration: Only team registration is accepted. The participants need to have authentication of UCI (the Union Cycliste Internationale, also called International Cycling Union).
I updated this article on February 4, 2013
See all my travel articles
Questions and Answers About Qinghai Lake International Cycling Race
You can go to the sea.Whitney Liao replied on 2013-03-20
- Send your inquiry January 1 – February 28, 2014, and we will email you a US$30 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till December 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth US$300 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
- The coupon cannot be combined with any other coupons, promotions or discounts.