Shangri-la Horse Race Festival
- Celebrated: Jun. 12 to Jun. 12
- Location: Yunnan
Shangri-la Horse Racing Festival is the most solemn traditional folk festival for the ethnic group people living in Shangri-La, and it’s a grand rally for Tibetans in the spring. Currently the horse racing festival has developed into a national sporting competition and an exchange event of folk activities.
Shangri-la Horse Racing Festival is normally held around the Dragon Boat Festival in Fengshan Horse Racing Field, and it usually lasts for 3 days, during which a number of entertaining activities such as yak racing and ox-drawn bars are held in addition to the traditional equestrian competitions and performances. Players and performers are from the local grassland as well as the adjacent counties like Kangmang, Xiangcheng, Daocheng, Litang, Batang and Derong. The whole family of local residents will come out and set tents at the foot of the mountain to have a picnic and hold banquets. The horse racing always attracts people to gather at the spacious lawn to watch the riders' brilliant performance.
Many art performance teams well-selected from various villages are dispatched to Deyin County to participate in song and fashion performances as well, adding so much luster to the festival.
I updated this article on January 16, 2014
See all my travel articles
Questions and Answers About Shangri-la Horse Race Festival
- Send your inquiry January 1 – February 28, 2014, and we will email you a US$30 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till December 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth US$300 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
- The coupon cannot be combined with any other coupons, promotions or discounts.