Are there any programs where I can take care of the pandas?
- Name: The Chinese call it the ‘big bear-cat’ (大熊猫 da xiongmao /dah-sshyong-maow/).
- Size: 75 centimeters (2.5 foot) tall and 1.5 meters (5 foot) long
- Weight: Up to 150 kg (330 lb)
- Habitat: Central- Western and Southwest China.Mainly Sichuan. A few in Shaanxi and Gansu. See the map »
- Diet: 99% bamboo. 13 kg (30 lb) or more a day.
- Life Span: Up to 30 years in captivity, but usually only 15 to 20 years in the wild
- Protection status: Endangered。 Estimates of giant panda numbers in the wild vary between 1,500 and 3,000.
- Giant Panda Facts »
Yes, there are volunteer programs at Bifengxia Giant Panda Base and Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding. During the programs, participants can work with skilled panda keepers to take care of the pandas. See more at Volunteer Programs.
More Giant Panda FAQs
- Are Giant Pandas Dangerous?
- Why are giant pandas black and white?
- Why are pandas so popular and cute?
- When is the best time to see the pandas?
- Where can I see giant pandas in China?
- Are there any programs where I can take care of the pandas?
- What are the differences between Bifengxia Giant Panda Base and Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding?
- What should I know while visiting or taking care of the pandas?
- Chengdu Highlights and Panda Tour from $380
- Panda Keeper and Chengdu Highlights Tour
from $615 USD
- Giant Pandas, Yangtze River and Golden Triangle Combo from $2146 USD
- Panda Discovery and Chengdu Highlights Tour
from $407 USD
- » More tours to see pandas