Bifengxia Giant Panda Base and Chengdu Research Base?
- Name: The Chinese call it the ‘big bear-cat’ (大熊猫 da xiongmao /dah-sshyong-maow/).
- Size: 75 centimeters (2.5 foot) tall and 1.5 meters (5 foot) long
- Weight: Up to 150 kg (330 lb)
- Habitat: Central- Western and Southwest China.Mainly Sichuan. A few in Shaanxi and Gansu. See the map »
- Diet: 99% bamboo. 13 kg (30 lb) or more a day.
- Life Span: Up to 30 years in captivity, but usually only 15 to 20 years in the wild
- Protection status: Endangered。 Estimates of giant panda numbers in the wild vary between 1,500 and 3,000.
- Giant Panda Facts »
Both are very good places to see the pandas, or join in the volunteer programs to take care of the pandas.
Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding is located almost in the city center, and it is more professionally run and controlled.
Bifengxia Giant Panda Base is about 2 hours drive from the city center. It has more pandas, and you will get to see pandas more in their natural habitat than the one in Chengdu.
For tourists who stay for a few days in Chengdu, it is suggested that you see the pandas at Bifengxia Giant Panda Base, and also take part in their volunteer program. For tourists with less time, going to see the pandas in the Research Base near the city center would be more convenient.
More Giant Panda FAQs
- Are Giant Pandas Dangerous?
- Why are giant pandas black and white?
- Why are pandas so popular and cute?
- When is the best time to see the pandas?
- Where can I see giant pandas in China?
- Are there any programs where I can take care of the pandas?
- What are the differences between Bifengxia Giant Panda Base and Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding?
- What should I know while visiting or taking care of the pandas?
- Chengdu Highlights and Panda Tour from $380
- Panda Keeper and Chengdu Highlights Tour
from $615 USD
- Giant Pandas, Yangtze River and Golden Triangle Combo from $2146 USD
- Panda Discovery and Chengdu Highlights Tour
from $407 USD
- » More tours to see pandas