What should I know while visiting/taking care of the pandas?
- Name: The Chinese call it the ‘big bear-cat’ (大熊猫 da xiongmao /dah-sshyong-maow/).
- Size: 75 centimeters (2.5 foot) tall and 1.5 meters (5 foot) long
- Weight: Up to 150 kg (330 lb)
- Habitat: Central- Western and Southwest China.Mainly Sichuan. A few in Shaanxi and Gansu. See the map »
- Diet: 99% bamboo. 13 kg (30 lb) or more a day.
- Life Span: Up to 30 years in captivity, but usually only 15 to 20 years in the wild
- Protection status: Endangered。 Estimates of giant panda numbers in the wild vary between 1,500 and 3,000.
- Giant Panda Facts »
It’s important for the pandas to have a quiet environment. Please see the following tips:
- Please do not make noises or sudden movements that might startle the pandas.
- Please do not approach or throw food to the pandas, unless the panda keeper tells you to do so. Otherwise it might disturb the panda’s eating regime and cause them to become sick.
- Follow the panda keeper’s instructions. Please do not touch the adult pandas or let them touch you.
- Do not take photos or videos unless it’s allowed. Taking a photo of the panda costs 500 yuan (73 USD), while holding a baby panda costs 1000 yuan (147 USD) at the panda base. These costs are at visitors’ own expense.
More Giant Panda FAQs
- Are Giant Pandas Dangerous?
- Why are giant pandas black and white?
- Why are pandas so popular and cute?
- When is the best time to see the pandas?
- Where can I see giant pandas in China?
- Are there any programs where I can take care of the pandas?
- What are the differences between Bifengxia Giant Panda Base and Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding?
- What should I know while visiting or taking care of the pandas?
- Chengdu Highlights and Panda Tour from $380
- Panda Keeper and Chengdu Highlights Tour
from $615 USD
- Giant Pandas, Yangtze River and Golden Triangle Combo from $2146 USD
- Panda Discovery and Chengdu Highlights Tour
from $407 USD
- » More tours to see pandas