Metal Soup Great Wall
- the longest fully-restored section open to tourists.
- the best preserved section of the Great Wall.
- steep with many watchtowers and breathtaking views.
- known as the First Pass Under Heaven since ancient times.
- Chinese Pinyin: Cháng Chéng
- Location: North China
- Length: 6,260 km (3,890 miles)
- Great Wall Facts »
On the outskirts of Beijing, there is a famous section of the Great Wall called Huanghuacheng (the yellow flower fortress). It was so named for the hills covered by yellow flowers in the summer. There is a famous story about the construction of this section of the wall.
During the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), the emperor ordered a general named Cai Kai to build the Huanghuacheng Section of the Great Wall. Cai Kai employed meticulous quality control and spent several arduous years to finish this task. However, he was hastily beheaded when the ministry of war got wind of his extravagance. The emperor realized he had wronged Cai Kai after an official found the wall to be extraordinarily solid and steep.
Later, the emperor built a tomb and tombstone for Cai Kai to commemorate his great contribution. At the same time, he had someone engrave Jintang (Metal Soup) into a rock to describe the sturdiness of this section of the Great Wall. Therefore, the Huanghuacheng wall is also referred to as "Metal Soup" Great Wall.
Other Great Wall Legends:
This is a legend about love and devotion. It tells the story of Meng Jiang Nü and her anguish after her husband died building the wall. It is said that her bitter weeping caused a section of the wall to collapse. Read the Meng Jiangnü story.
A story of love between father and son and their reunion at Xifengkou. Read the Xifengkou story.
- One-Day Great Wall Tours from $87*
- Include transport, entry, tour guide and lunch.
- 4-Day Essence of Beijing Tour A from $445*
- See the top sights of Beijing, including the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
- 6-Day Great Wall Hiking Around Beijing Tour from $885*
- Includes Mutianyu, Gubeikou, Jinshanling, Simatai and Huangya Pass.
- 8-Day Essence of China Tour – Beijing, Xi’an, Shanghai from $1463*
- See the top sights of China’s Golden Triangle, including the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
- more Great Wall Tours *Prices based on 2 persons