The Xifengkou Legend
- the longest fully-restored section open to tourists.
- the best preserved section of the Great Wall.
- steep with many watchtowers and breathtaking views.
- known as the First Pass Under Heaven since ancient times.
- Chinese Pinyin: Cháng Chéng
- Location: North China
- Length: 6,260 km (3,890 miles)
- Great Wall Facts »
There is an underwater section of the Great Wall in Hebei Province called Xifengkou (Happy Meeting Mouth).
A legend relates that in the Qin Dynasty (221-206 BC), a young man was taken away to build the Great Wall. Winter came but he failed to return. His father worried about him so much that he went to the site to look for him. They ran into each other at Songting Hill by chance. They were so happy that they laughed themselves to death. The pass where they were buried was later named Xifengkou Pass.
Other Great Wall Legends:
This is a legend about love and devotion. It tells the story of Meng Jiang Nü and her anguish after her husband died building the wall. It is said that her bitter weeping caused a section of the wall to collapse. Read the Meng Jiangnü story.
This story tells of the construction of the Huanghuacheng Great Wall. The great general who masterminded this section was beheaded wrongly for his high expenditures, but later redeemed and honored. Read the "Metal Soup" Great Wall story.
- One-Day Great Wall Tours from $87*
- Include transport, entry, tour guide and lunch.
- 4-Day Essence of Beijing Tour A from $445*
- See the top sights of Beijing, including the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
- 6-Day Great Wall Hiking Around Beijing Tour from $885*
- Includes Mutianyu, Gubeikou, Jinshanling, Simatai and Huangya Pass.
- 8-Day Essence of China Tour – Beijing, Xi’an, Shanghai from $1463*
- See the top sights of China’s Golden Triangle, including the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
- more Great Wall Tours *Prices based on 2 persons