Harbin is one of the largest commercial cities in Northeast China. Local specialties and souvenirs can be divided into roughly two categories: Northeastern Chinese specialties and Russian products. Lots of stores selling these products are located at Central Avenue and Guogeli Avenue.
The most typical among Northeastern Chinese specialties are the Three Treasures of Northeast China, namely Ginseng, pilose antler, and marten. However, when buying these products, please be careful and only buy in reliable stores, because there are many fake goods in the market. Other specialties include red sausages (please choose Churin Brand), smoked salmon, black fungus, mushroom and dried fruits.
Tourists can also find lots of souvenirs of typical Russian characters, such as lacquer ware, tinwork, violet gold jewlery, and Russian dolls suite.
MYKAL Department Store
The most upscale shopping center with a number of world-famous brand names.
- Address: Intersection of Shangzhi Street and Shitoudao Street
- Address: 222 Central Avenue, Daoli District
Harbin No.1 Department Store
- Address: 118 Shitoudao Street, Daoli District
Grand Shopping Center
- Address: 373, Guoheli Avenue, Nangang District
- Xianfeng Branch: 168 Xianfeng Road, Nangang District
- Zhongshan Branch: 254 Zhongshan Road, Nangang District
- Youyi Branch: 2 – 4 F, Wanda Shopping Square, Youyi Road, Daoli District
- Dazhijie Branch: 40 Xidazhi Street, Nangang District
- Xinyang Brach: 364, Xinyang Road, Daoli District
Imported Russian goods of all types and qualities are available from tourist shops around town, but the best place to go to buy Russian products is the Chinese-Russian Market. It was set up in 1992 as a place for Russians and Chinese to shop and trade. You can find imported vodka, Russian dolls, chocolate, furs, food products, fossils, petrified wood and other things, as well as Russian restaurants. Chinese products such as jewlery and antiques are also available.
Stores and restaurants open every day from about noon till 11 pm. Choose carefully because there are fake products. It is not a place to buy expensive products. It is necessary to bargain, and sometimes bargain hard!
- Address: 29 Jianshe Street, Nangang District
Questions and Answers About Harbin Shopping
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on January 11, 2013
See all my travel articles