Name: Hohhot (呼和浩特 Hūhéhàotè /ho-hot/)
Meaning: blue city or god city
Previous names: Guisui
Other names: Hohhot is Qingcheng in Mandarin.
- Former Mongol town
- Remaining Mongolian and Qing Empire construction
- Mongols and other ethnic groups
- The Naadam Festival in July and August
- Now it is the administrative city for the vast region of Inner Mongolia and a growing industrial city.
- Gegentala, Huitengxile Grasslands, Xilamuren Grasslands, Dazhao Lamasery, Inner Mongolia Museum, Temple of the Five Pagodas, Great Mosque, Xilitu Zhao, Naadam Festival
- Most famous food: milk, milk tea, Mongolian hot pot, shaomai, roasted mutton
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: carpets, ethnic clothes, Mongolian silverware, dairy products, cashmere sweaters
The city was an army outpost for hundreds of years, but it recently has grown quickly and has become an industrial city. About six major ethnic groups are in the city.
- 1579 The Dazhao Temple was completed.
- 1580 A town was founded by Altan Khan.
- 1937 The Japanese Empire captured the area.
- 1947 The city became the capital of Inner Mongolia.
- Significance of city: Hohhot is the administrative capital of Inner Mongolia.
- Nearby cities: Ordos (213 km/132 mi), Datong (145 km/90 mi)
- Municipality terrain: The city sits in a basin between a plateau and mountains.
- Average altitude: 1,065 m (3,494 ft)
- Main rivers: Dahei River
- Municipality Population: 2,866,000
- Municipality Area: 17,224 sq km (6,650 sq mi)
- Metro area: 2,158 sq km (833 sq mi)
- Metro population: 1,980,000
- Metro population density: 918/sq km (2,377 sq mi)
- North to south distance of urban area: 17 km (11 mi)
- East to west distance of urban area: 26 km (16 mi)
- City center: at the corner of Tongdao North Road and Hailaer Street (40.83N, 111.65E) in Xincheng District
- Average high temperature in July: 28.5 °C (83.3 °F)
- Average low temperature in January: -16.8 °C (1.8 °F)
- Semi arid, cold climate; annual precipitation: 400 mm (15.7 in) Known for sunny days, dry freezing weather in the winter and dust storms.
- Average annual income: (2008) 51,016 RMB (6,800 USD)
- Development: developing
- Industry: 58.7% tertiary industry (services, tourism), 36.4% secondary industry (metallurgy), 4.9% primary industry (mining, dairy)
- CBD: near Qingcheng Park (40.81N, 111.66E)
- Shopping Streets: Zhongshan Street, Wenzhou Commercial Pedestrian Street
- Hohhot Baita International Airport is a domestic airport about an hour from the city center.
- Hohhot Railway Station