Hohhot Muslim Restaurants
Hong Ye Lou Restaurant
Covering an area of more than 2,000 square meters, Hong Ye Lou Restaurant is a large Muslim-style integrated restaurant that primarily offers traditional mutton hot pots over charcoal, assorted hot pots, various snacks, a buffet Korean-style barbecue, and dishes that are mainly fried, braised, and sautéed. Among these, the mutton hot pot over charcoal is the most popular because it is boiled in a special nutritious soup along with unique ingredients which are fresh and appetizing.
The restaurant's dishes are so great that sometimes it can become crowded, even though it has four floors. The restaurant is divided into three areas: the hot pot area on the first and second floors, the barbecue area on the third floor, and some private rooms on the fourth floor. All of the floors are decorated elaborately, which provides a pleasant dining atmosphere.
- Chinese name: 鸿烨楼 Hong Ye Lou
- Recommended dishes: mutton hot pot (涮羊肉), beef hot pot (牛肉火锅), lamb sweetbread soup (羊杂汤), shaomai steamed dumplings with the dough gathered at the top (烧卖), barbecue (烧烤), brick tea (砖茶), assorted balls (丸子拼盘), golden mushrooms (金针菇), sautéed sliced lamb with green onions (葱爆羊肉), and Moo Shu Rou/sautéed sliced beef or mutton with egg and black mushrooms (木须肉).
- Average price per person: 42 yuan
- Opening hours: 9am – 10pm
- Address: Opposite Hui People’s Hospital, Zhongshan West Road, Hui District 回民区中山西路回民医院对面
- Tel: 0471-6961555
- Transportation: Take bus 1, 3, 4, 16, 19, 21, 50 or 57, and get off at Shoufu Rencai Shichang (Capital Human Resource Market/首府人才市场).
Red Pomegranate Restaurant
Red Pomegranate Restaurant
Red Pomegranate Restaurant, a Muslim-style restaurant, is notable for its yellow color appearance on the Business Street. The restaurant is popular for its traditional halal dishes and snacks that are cooked with special flavored ingredients. The two-storied restaurant is decorated simply but brightly because of its beautiful crystal chandeliers and elegant French windows.
- Chinese name: 红石榴 Hongshiliu
- Recommended dishes: Xinjiang-style braised chicken (大盘鸡), mutton kebab (烤肉串), sautéed handmade noodles (拉条子), sautéed lamb with naan bread (馕炒肉), grilled fish balls (烤鱼丸), grilled garlic (烤大蒜), Xinjiang rice (手抓饭), grilled mutton with rose willows (红柳烤肉), roast leg of lamb (烤羊腿), and fried mutton with cumin (孜然羊排).
- Average price per person: 39 yuan
- Opening hours: 10am – 10pm
- Address: 2101 Jinyuwenyuan Business Street, College East Road, Saihan District 赛罕区大学东路金宇文苑商业街2101号
- Tel: 0471-3331891
- Transportation: Take bus 31, 53, 54, 61, 62, 63, 72 or 86, and get off at Neimeng Yiyuan (Inner Mongolia Hospital/内蒙古医院).
Lao Kan Shang Hot Pots Restaurant
As its name implies, Lao Kan Shang Hot Pots Restaurant is famous for a variety of delicious hot pots such as mutton hot pot and beef hot pot. The soup in a hot pot, boiled down with special ingredients including some traditional Chinese herbs, is fresh and nutritious, hot but not dry, and fat but not greasy. The delicate decorations, neat and tidy environment, and considerate service provide the restaurant with an additional charm.
- Chinese name: 老坎上火锅楼 Lao Kan Shang Huoguo Lou
- Recommended dishes: hot pots (火锅), grilled squid with shrimps (干锅鱿鱼虾), spicy grilled lamb chops with shrimps (香辣羊排虾), spicy grilled fish with pepper and chili (炝锅鱼).
- Average price per person: 30 yuan
- Opening hours: 10am – 2.30pm, 4.30pm – 9pm
- Address: 71 South Road, (diagonally opposite to the Jiuzhou Commercial Building), Xincheng District 新城区南马路71号 (九洲商厦斜对面)
- Tel: 0471-6201212, 0471-6203300
- Transportation: Take bus 2, 4, 21, 27, 52, 54, 55, 61, 62, 63 or 303, and get off at Jiuzhou Shangsha (Jiuzhou Commercial Building/九洲商厦).