How to Plan a One-Day High-Budget Shopping Tour of Hong Kong
To minimize travel time, what would be better than a room in a 5-star hotel right above the best malls in Hong Kong?
Both the Elements Mall in Tsim Sha Tsui and the IFC Mall in Central are reached via the Airport Express MTR in half an hour. Both malls are in central convenient locations near the best malls and boutiques for specific types of products.
Morning at the IFC Mall
- The IFC Towers complex includes the "6-star" Four Seasons Hotel. From the hotel, the mall is about a minute away via elevator.
- The transportation system is the best in the region. The ferry terminal is only a five minute walk away, and the scenic Island Tram runs nearby. Four MTR Lines (to airport, Kowloon, Tung Chung, and Island).
- Two 3-Michelin-star rated restaurants make the IFC stand out. (There are only five 3-Michelin rated restaurants in HK, Macau, and China!)
- 200 boutiques and stores, including an Apple Flagship Store (two bright white floors!)
- Movie theater, gym, bookstores, cafes, open roof dining, and posh bars
- A few minutes walk from the Landmark
Start with Breakfast
Have breakfast and start the day right. We suggest a French-style breakfast at a restaurant famous for its pastries: Le Goûter Bernardaud (Shop 2028-2029) opens at 8 am.
Shops and Products
- Fashion: Lane Crawford, ZARA, Burberry, Gieves and Hawkes, Brooks Brothers, AJ Armani, and many others.
- Jewelry: Jewelers Chopard, CARAT, Pandora, BVLGARI, with others.
- Electronics: Apple, Bose, and Oregon Scientific. Apple became super hot in 2012. Customer service will customize your purchases.
Women's Fashion at the Landmark
Head over to the nearby Landmark Mall and boutique cluster about 200 meters east and south of Central Station. These are in four buildings that are interlinked by pedestrian walkways.
The Landmark is a shopping complex that has top women's fashions: Gucci, Tiffany & Co., Polo, Marc Jacobs, Paul Smith, Vivienne Tam, and many others.
The interlinked Prince's Building has Chanel, a. testoni, Cartier, and Ralph Lauren. Alexandra House has Prada and Dolce & Gabbana. The Chater House closest to the IFC has Armani shops.
Transport: Walk to the Landmark cluster via Central Station through the pedestrian underpasses. Take Exit E for Chater House or Exit H for Alexandra House.
Midday at the Elements Mall
- Modern tower opened in 2011
- Vast array of luxury products
- Stunning views
- Kowloon Station (Airport Express)
- One of the biggest malls
- Tourist attraction
The ICC Tower has the most modern features to enjoy during your shopping tour. The 5-star Ritz Carlton on the top floors has luxurious restaurants with stunning views for your lunch or tea.
The shopping attraction is the Elements Mall below the ICC Tower. It is five minutes from Hong Kong Station below the IFC Mall to Kowloon Station under the Elements Mall. Just take the escalator up.
The Elements Mall has five sections: Wood, Water, Metal, Fire, Earth. These correspond to the 5 elements of Chinese Daoist philosophy and provide different kinds of goods or services. The emphasis is that you can find basically almost anything.
- Metal (high fashion): BVLGARI, Cartier, CHAUMET, DAMIANI, GUCCI, HERMÈS, Mulberry and Prada.
- Wood (health and beauty): Bobbi Brown, Chanel, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Giorgio Armani, Helena Rubinstein, La Prairie, and others. For healthy food and drink, the ThreeSixty organic food supermarket is the largest in the Guangdong region.
- Water (food and fashion): international restaurants and fashion brands including Zara and H&M.
- Fire (entertainment): a large high-tech movie theater ("the world's first with infrasonic capability") and an ice rink.
- Earth (men's and women's fashions, men's goods, and electronics): Alfred Dunhill, Cerruti 1881, Montblanc, Kent & Curwen, Fortress and Broadway.
Lunch and Tea
Ozone on the top floor of the Ritz is the world's highest pool and lounge (118th floor). If you prefer Japanese cuisine, the Inakaya (101st floor) has some internationally recognized fine food and the view of Hong Kong and the mountains.
Watches, Art, Jewelry, Fashions
The 1881 Heritage nearby is known for its watch and jewelry stores, colonial architecture and landscaping. It was once an imposing British military headquarters. You'll find Rolex and Tudor, IWC Schaffhausen, Cartier, Vacheron Constantin and other luxury watch brands. Jewelers include Tiffany & Co and Van Cleef & Arpels.
The very rich Peninsula Hotel is known for fashion. You'll find Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Dior, and Prada. It is about 200 meters from the Heritage on Salisbury Road.
The K11 is billed as the world's first art mall and is artistically decorated with small art exhibitions. It is below the Hyatt Regency about 400 meters from the Heritage.
Transport from the ICC to 1881 Heritage by taxi takes 10 minutes. The ICC has a taxi waiting room.
Evening at the IFC
Have a superb dinner at the Four Seasons, the 60-story hotel on Victoria Harbor. What makes the hotel a highlight in the culinary world are the 3-Michelin-Star Caprice and the Lung King Heen with their lighted Victoria Harbor views.
Dinner at the Four Seasons
According to the Michelin guide, these are the finest Cantonese and French restaurants in Hong Kong.
3 Michelin stars is an honor. The entire U.S. only has ten Michelin 3-star restaurants in 2012. Hong Kong has only one other.
- Lung King Heen is the first Cantonese restaurant in the world to receive a 3-star rating.
- The Caprice's team of chefs hails from the famous Cinq in France. Much of the food is flown in. The cheese is the best in Hong Kong.
Watch the relaxing harbor view as the ships float by and the Hong Kong Symphony of Lights at 8 pm.
Let us help you plan your personalized shopping tour and book reservations.
- Top Street Markets in Hong Kong
- How to Plan a 2-Day Tour of Hong Kong's Highlights
- How to Plan a 3-Day Tour of Hong Kong's Highlights
Questions and Answers About How to Plan a One-Day High-Budget Shopping Tour of Hong Kong
I updated this article on September 17, 2013
See all my travel articles