The Hong Kong Museum of Art
- Big, modern facility in scenic Victoria Harbour location
- Outstanding ancient and modern Chinese art
- 15,000 pieces of art
- Excellent views
- 4 floors with 7 galleries
- Gift store and good cafe
The Museum of Art is one of the five main public museums. Ancient Chinese ceramics and glass objects are the highlight of the exhibits. The exhibits of paintings and calligraphy emphasize the techniques involved in the arts. It is one of Hong Kong's most important and interesting museums for tourists.
It is in a prime location for tourists -- only about 300 meters from the Star Ferry pier on the Avenue of Stars.
A highlight is the view of Victoria Harbor from the large second floor patio and the windows.
The big art and gift store and the fine cafe make the museum useful and entertaining for tourists.
The Chinese Antiquities Gallery (3rd floor) has the most interesting collection. There are ancient objects of pottery, glassware, and art. Most were made in the Qing era. But some objects are from the Han or Zhou eras.
The contrast of color and translucence of layers in the glass pieces of the Qing era is especially beautiful.
The Chinese Fine Art Gallery (4th floor) contains modern art and calligraphy from China and Hong Kong. The emphasis is to explain and contrast Western styles and traditional styles of modern Chinese art.
The Xubaizhai Gallery of Chinese Painting and Calligraphy (2nd floor) contains many examples of calligraphy such as poems. They are especially interesting if you can read them. The main focus is to show the evolution of Chinese calligraphy techniques since the Zhou era.
Useful Auxiliary Facilities
- Cafe: The small cafe is a tourist highlight because of the location along the Avenue of Stars near the ferry. The prices are a little high, but the quality is good.
- Gift shop: There are English guidebooks, art books, prints, craft objects, postcards, and other souvenir-type artworks for sale. The prices are high, but the quality of the products is a high as well. It is a place to get souvenirs of your trip to HK.
The museum collection was founded in 1962. The main building opened in 1991.
- Hours: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm, Sunday - Friday. 10:00 am - 8:00 pm Saturdays.
- Closed on Thursdays (except public holidays) and the first two days of the Chinese New Year.
- Closed at 5:00 pm on Christmas Eve and Chinese New Year's Eve.
- Address: 10 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui.
- Transport: Walk 7 minutes from the Star Ferry. Bus 7. Near TST MTR.
- Admission: HK$10 for adults, HK$5 concession. Free on Wednesday.
- Nearby Attractions: Avenue of Stars, Star Ferry at Victoria Harbor, Space Museum
Questions and Answers About The Hong Kong Museum of Art
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
- Things to Do
- Top Reasons to Visit
- Top Things to Do
- Things to Do With Kids