Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Gardens
- Nature walks
- Animals for children
- Organic food
- Large area: 148 hectares or 365 acres
- Off the beaten path and offbeat too.
This place is off the beaten path. It is near the China border outside of Fanling, and is sort of an organic farm, sort of an animal preserve, and sort of a place for kids and families to go to see nature and farmland, eat organic yummies, and go for nature walks.
Kadoori Farms is a strangely eclectic place, but it isn't a joke. They have a good reputation among experienced locals as a place to take kids for nature walks, hiking, and fun. They display and house some local wild animals. The place has a lot of natural land (148 hectares) on Tai Mo Shan, Hong Kong’s tallest mountain. The place functions as a natural preserve and a small animal sanctuary.
Kadoorie Farms is an educational and charitable endeavor of one of Hong Kong's richest oldest clans that also owns the Peninsula Hotel near the Space Museum that is known for Hong Kong's most expensive hotel rooms.
In 1950s, members of the family began an association for helping poor farmers to prosper and learn new farming and animal husbandry methods. In 1956 the association established a experimental farm at the present location. In 1995 the HK government gave the project a permit to develop into the present organic farm, animal and plant conservatory, and nature theme oriented park.
- Hours: 9:30 am to 5 pm.
- Transportation: There are various routes involving the West Rail Line and the East Rail Line and then taking Bus 64K. From Tsim Sha Tsui, the journey takes about two hours.
- 2013 entrance fee: 20 HKD per person; children under 12 free.
China Highlights Tours
Our 3-day Hong Kong Memories Seat-in-a-Coach Tour goes to Kadoorie Farm. Alternatively use our free specialist tailor-making service to design your own Hong Kong tour, including Kadoorie Farm and any other offbeat or mainstream attractions you are interested in.
Also read Top 5 Offbeat Things to Do in Hong Kong.
Questions and Answers About Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Gardens
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on May 13, 2013
See all my travel articles