Tsing Ma Bridge
- Seventh longest suspension bridge in the world.
- Beautiful and sturdy.
- Allows quick access between the nearby Hong Kong urban area and the airport on Lantau Island.
In order to give access to Lantau Island where they were building Hong Kong's airport, the Hong Kong government built the Tsing Ma Bridge to connect Tsing Yi with Ma Wan across the channel. The bridge is the world's seventh longest suspension bridge, and it is the longest suspension bridge that is able to handle trains. It was an architectural achievement, and a part of the Hong Kong airport construction project that was considered one of the world's ten greatest construction projects that were completed during the 20th century.
It is 41 meters (135 feet) wide and about 2.2 kilometers in total length. The main span is 1,377 meters (4,518 feet) long. It has two decks. The top deck has a six lane highway, and the bottom deck can handle two trains at the same time. The bridge has to be able to withstand a heavy load and severe typhoons. The towers are 206 meters (676 feet) tall. The span is the largest of all bridges in the world carrying rail traffic. It looks like a heavier version of the Golden Gate Bridge. In comparison, the middle span of the Golden Gate Bridge is about 1,280 meters long (4,200 feet).
This bridge is over the Ma Wan Channel.
The bridge was designed by Mott MacDonald. Construction of the bridge was carried out by a joint venture of Costain, Mitsui and Trafalgar House. Construction started in May of 1992 and ended in May of 1997. The former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher helped to inaugurate the bridge and the Lantau Link transportation facilities.
- See the view from the bridge.
- The best spots to view the Tsing Ma Bridge are the visitor center and sight-seeing flat of Tsing Yi-Lantau Islands Line in the northwest end of Tsing Yi Island.
- Good places to see the bridge and learn more about it is at the visitor center on small Tsing Yi Island.
Lantau Island has hiking areas and interesting places to visit. Near the bridge on Lantau is the Lantau North Country Park. Hong Kong Disneyland is on the island near the airport. You can also visit the airport area that is listed as among the greatest construction achievements of the 20th century.
Other nearby highlights include Kowloon with its many good restaurants and four good museums: the Hong Kong Museum of History, Museum of Art, Space Museum and Science Museum. Central has Victoria Peak and its mall area, the free Hong Kong Park with a big bird zoo, and the Zoological and Botanical Gardens. You can walk up the escalators and then walk up a small park road to reach the top of Victoria Peak, or you can take the nearby Victoria Peak Tram. Either way makes for good sightseeing.
Questions and Answers About Tsing Ma Bridge
Hi Erwin, besides those places, you can also visit Victoria Peak, Aberdeen, Repulse Bay, Hong Kong History Museum, Avenue of Stars, etc.Whitney Liao replied on 2013-04-26
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
- Things to Do
- Top Reasons to Visit
- Top Things to Do
- Things to Do With Kids