Hong Kong Restaurants
Ming Court Cantonese Restaurant
Ming Court was selected as a Michelin 2-star restaurant for 2010. It is a luxury Chinese restaurant featuring Cantonese cuisine. The exquisite traditional Chinese decoration provides relaxing atmosphere. Ming Court was also named as one of Hong Kong’s best restaurants in 2005 by Hong Kong Tourism Board.
- Price per person: HKD 151-300
- Opening hours: Monday to Sunday, 11:00-14:30, 18:00-22:30
- Tel: 3552 3300
- Address: 6/F, Langham Place Hotel, 555 Shanghai Street, Mong Kok (旺角上海街555號朗豪酒店6樓)
Island Tang offers a new style of eating. It is a luxurious Hong Kong café serving all the authentic Cantonese dishes prepared in a traditional way, and it offers haute Chinese cuisine with abalone and shark fin. The head-chef Frankie Ho has 30 years of cooking experience. Signature dishes include Braised Whole Abalone with Premium Oyster Sauce, Braised Superior Shark's Fin Soup Imperial Style, Simmered Imperial Fish Maw in Fish Broth, and Beijing Roast Duck.
- per person: HKD 301-500
- Opening hours: Monday to Sunday, 12:00-23:00
- Tel: 2526 8798
- Address: 2/F, The Galleria Plaza, 9 Queen's Road Central, Central 中環皇后大道中9號嘉軒廣場2樓
Lei Garden restaurant mainly serves Guangdong style dishes and Hong Kong style dishes. The dishes there are so exquisite that they look like art works, hence most dishes there are worthy to relish, such as crackling chicken (脆皮鸡), roast goose (烧鹅) and seafood. The service there is in high quality.
- Chinese name: 利苑酒家 Liyuan Jiujia /lee-ywen jyo-jyah/
- Average price per person: HKD 369
- Address: Unit 3008, Shopping Mall of International Financial Center, 1 Harbor View Street, Central (中环港景街1号国际金融中心商场3008号 店)
- Tel: 00852-2295 0238
Bo Innovation was selected as a Michelin 1-star restaurant for 2010. It offers contemporary Chinese food, and the head-chef Mr. Alvin is creative and tries to cook Chinese food combining traditional recipes with special ingredients and cooking techniques.
- Price per person: HKD 500 above
- Opening hours: Monday to Saturday, 12:00-14:00, 19:00-00:00; closed on Sunday
- Tel: 2850 8371
- Address: Shop 13, 2/F J Residence, 60 Johnston Road, Wan Chai (灣仔莊士敦道60號 J Senses 2樓13號舖)
Hu Tong was selected as a Michelin 1-star restaurant for 2010. It features traditional Northern Chinese cuisine with a touch of spicy flavor. Signature dishes include Abalone Carpaccio with Spring Onion Oil, Chili-spiced bamboo clams and Drunken Crab Raw Crab Steeped in Chinese Wine.
- Price per person:HKD 151-300
- Opening Hours:Monday to Sunday, 12:00-15:00, 18:00-00:00
- Tel: 3428 8342
- Address:28/F, 1 Peking Road, Tsim Sha Tsui (尖沙咀北京道1號28樓)
Tim Ho Wan, The Dim Sum Specialist
Tim Ho Wan was selected as a Michelin 1-star restaurant for 2010. It is a small and busy dim sum restaurant. The signature dishes include Steamed Rice Roll, Steamed Prawn Dumplings, Baked Barbecued Pork Bun Pastry, and Sticky rice in lotus leaf.
- Price per person: Below HKD 40
- Opening hours: Monday to Sunday, 10:00-22:00
- Tel: 2332 2896
- Address:Shop 8, Taui Yuen Mansion Phase 2, 2-20 Kwong Wa Street, Mong Kok (旺角廣華街2-20號翠園大樓2期地下8號舖)
Maxims Palace Chinese Restaurant
Maxim’s Palace restaurant is a typical Hong Kong style restaurant. Dim sum could be one highlight there. Food there is really delicious, such as shrimp dumplings (虾饺), steamed chicken claws with black bean sauce (豉汁蒸凤爪), all kinds of dim sum, steamed vermicelli roll (肠粉), steamed buns stuffed with barbecued roast pork (叉烧包), steamed ribs with black bean sauces (豉汁蒸排骨) and spring roll (春卷).
- Chinese name: 美心皇宫 Meixin Huanggong /may-sshin hwung-gong/
- Average price per person: HKD 188
- Address: Floor 3, Base of Central City Hall (中环大会堂底座3楼)
- Tel: 00852-2521 1303
Qiao Tei Chili Crab
It is a quite popular seafood restaurant in Hong Kong. Bifeng Tang stir-fried crabs (避风塘炒辣蟹) is a dish should be missed in the restaurant. Other recommended dishes are Bifeng Tang stir-fried mantis shrimps (避风塘炒濑尿虾), stir-fried clams (炒蚬), razor clam and fried rice with seafood (海鲜炒饭).
- Chinese name: 桥底辣蟹海鲜馆
- Average price per person: HKD 335
- Opening hours: 6pm–6am
- Address: Unit 6-9, Basement, 429 Lockhart Road, Wanchai District (湾仔骆克道429 号地下6-9号铺)
- Tel: 00852-2573 7698
Bubba Gump Shrimp Restaurant
It can be a theme restaurant based on Forrest Gump. Most of the seats there are facing to Victoria Harbor with nice views. Shrimp must the “leading role” there: roast shrimp, stir-fried shrimp, shrimp soup, fried shrimp, salted shrimp and bucket shrimp with minced garlic smell (蒜蓉桶虾, the signature dish). Western dishes are available, such as steak, salad, bread and red wine.
- Chinese name: 阿甘虾餐厅 /ah-gan sshyah tsan-ting/
- Average price per person: HKD 243
- Opening hours: 11am–11pm (from Sunday to Thursday); 11am–0pm (during Friday, Saturday and public holidays)
- Address: Unit 304-305, Floor 3, the Peak Tower, 128 Peak Road (山顶道128号凌霄阁3楼304-305号铺)
- Tel: 00852-2849 2867
Continue to read Leaf on Seafood Restaurant
Taiwan Food Restaurants
Din Tai Fung
Din Tai Fung mainly serves Taiwan style dishes and Shanghai style dishes. Dim sums and all kinds of steamed stuffed buns are two highlights there. The signature dishes there are: steamed small meat dumplings in basket (小笼包), noodles with beef in brown sauce (红烧牛肉面), fresh chicken soup (原盅鲜鸡汤) and shao-mai (a kind of steamed dumpling) wrapped with shrimp meat (虾仁烧卖). Fired rice, desserts, vegetables, unique fried dishes and huntun are available in Din Tai Fung.
- Chinese name: 鼎泰丰 Ding Tai Feng /din teye feng/
- Average price per person: HKD 133
- Opening hours: 11:30am–10:30pm
- Address: Number 130, Floor 3, Silvercord, 30 Canton Road, Tsin Sha Tsui, Kowloon (九龙尖沙咀广东路30号新港中心3楼130号)
- Tel: 00852-2730 6928
Qing Zhen Beef Restaurant
This Xinjiang-style restaurant has a good reputation among both foreigners and Chinese considering that the prices are economical and they serve take-out. However, it isn't certified as Halal by the local board. This isn't gourmet Uigher food, but ok for a regular lunch or dinner. Many people love Xinjiang-style Uigher food because there is a greater range of ingredients, more meat and dairy products is served, and there is a greater variety of dishes than in a typical Lanzhou Lamian noodle restaurant. At the crossroads between east and west in far northwestern China, the Uigher people have a cuisine style that is a combination of Chinese-style food and Western Asian-style food. So Westerners find the tastes more familiar. A low-cost specialty at this restaurant is Beef Bread Bun (牛肉餅) and the curry is said to be good.
- Specialty: Beef Bread Bun 牛肉餅, about 22 HKD or 3 USD.
- Address: 1 Lung Kong Rd, Kowloon City,Ground Floor. Here is the address in Chinese for a driver: 九龍城龍崗道 1 號. It is near Olympic Garden and Prince Edward Road West in Kowloon.
- Bus Transport: Bus 5C from Tsim Sha
- Price: HKD 41 - HKD100
- Number of Seats: 70
- Hours: 11am-11pm
- Tel: 00852-2382 2822, 2718 3809
Habibi Muslim Restaurant
The halal food is good, and the setting is special: the restaurant is decorated like Cairo of the 1930s with mirrors, arches, tassels, cushions, and ceiling fans.
Next to the restaurant is the auxiliary Habibi Cafe where the food is cheaper and take-out food is available. Pita bread, tehina, and falafel are served.
- Meze- HKD 25 to 40; meze platters HKD 85 to 105
- Weekday set lunch- about HKD 65 (9 USD)
- Main dinner: HKD 145-200
- Address: 112-114 Wellington St. Shop B & D, Ground Floor in Sheung Wan west of Central District.
- Hours: 11am-3pm Mon-Fri, 5pm-midnight Mon-Sat
Baolian Temple Vegetarian Restaurant 宝莲寺斋堂
- Address: Baolian Temple, Angping Road, Lantau Island (离岛大屿山昂平昂平路宝莲禅寺内)
- Average Price per person: HKD 73
- Tel: 00852-2985 5248
Botree Vegetarian Restaurant 菩提素食馆
- Address: No.57-63, Dahe Avenue, Tsuen Wan District (新界荃湾大河道57-63号卓明大厦地下)
- Tel: 00852-2151 1872
Islamic Center Canteen
Islamic Center Canteen is the more popular of the two official Halal Chinese restaurants in Hong Kong. It is conveniently located in the Islamic Center in Wanchai, and it is a place for friends and businessmen to meet. The food is southern Chinese Muslim food, so you can enjoy dim sum and Cantonese dishes made from chicken, beef, and lamb. Tea may be served in the small Chinese teacups. The food is great and is certified Halal by the Islamic Community Fund of Hong Kong.
The meat comes from China or other countries, and the seafood is good. The Islamic Centre Canteen is not only a place to eat, but a place where you can mingle with fellow Muslims from around the world.
- Speciality: dim sum with Chinese tea, Cantonese dishes, and seafood
- Address: 5th Floor, Masjid Ammar and Osman, Ramju Sadick Islamic Centre, No. 40, Oi Kwan Road, Wan Chai
- Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
There are several branches for this restaurant. The restaurants are known for late night hours (people go there from bars at night) and moderate prices. It is also known for the gyros, clean settings, and kebabs. It is certified as Halal. There are at least six locations:
- G/F, California Place, 25 D'Aguilar Street, Lan Kwai Fong, Central, HK.
- G04, Wanchai Central Building, 89 Lockhart Rd, Wan Chai, HK.
- G/F, 52 Lockhart Rd, Wan Chai, HK.
- G/F, Shop S11 & S12, Gold Coast Shopping Mall, No 1, Castle Peak Rd, Castle Peak Bay.
- G/F, 1C, 24-38 Astoria Building, Ashley Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon.
- G/F, 3A, Discovery Bay Plaza, Discovery Bay, HK.
- Speciality: chicken and beef kebabs, gyros
- Light lunch or dinner: about 75 HKD (10 USD)
- Drinks: canned pop is available.
The Delhi Club 新德里餐厅
- Address: C Building of Chongqing Mansion, No. 38-44, Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon ( 九龙尖沙咀弥敦道38-44号重庆大厦C座3楼3室)
- Average Price per person: 86 yuan
- Tel: 00852-2368 1682
Khaber Pass 咖喱王
- Address: E Building of Chongqing Mansion, No. 38-44, Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon (九龙尖沙咀重庆大厦E座七楼E2铺)
- Tel: 00852-2721 2786
Jashan Celebrating Indian Cuisine
This is higher class Indian cuisine. There are polished wood tables, and there is a romantic atmosphere in the evenings. There is a buffet at lunchtime. Entertainment is available in the evening. The food is certified Halal.
- Lunch Buffet: about 100 HKD
- Dinner: 300 to 500 HKD (45-90 USD)
- Address: 1/F, Amber Lodge, 23 Hollywood Road, Central. The restaurant isn't far from Central MTR Station in Central, but if you want to take a taxi, here is the address for a driver: 中環荷李活道23號金珀苑1樓.
A place to go for more economical and less formal Indian-style or Arabic Halal food is Ziafat. Ziafat has a convenient location near the main mosque and Chung King Mansion. It is only about 100 meters away from the mosque. It is right next to the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station. There are several Pakistani/Indian Muslim restaurants in or close to the the Chung King Mansions building, but probably this is the only one officially certified as Halal. The food is generally thought to be good for the price.
- Specialty: Indian curry and Arabic BBQ
- Dinner: 120 HKD
- Hookah/Shishah: 80 HKD (10 USD) / pipe
- Address: 6 Floor Harilela Mansion, 81 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui (尖沙咀彌敦道81號喜利大廈6樓) It is basically across the street and a little down from Chung King Mansion. It is at the crossroads of Nathan Road and Haiphong Road.
The restaurant serves breakfast, afternoon tea and food taken at late night. Shrimp dumplings (虾饺), chicken claws (凤爪), minced pork porridge with preserved egg (皮蛋瘦肉粥) and crab cream Shao-mai (蟹黄烧卖, a kind of steamed dumpling wrapped crab cream) and steamed buns with barbecue roast pork (叉烧包) are quite popular food there.
- Chinese name: 稻香 Dao Xiang /doww sshyung/
- Average price per person: HKD 63
- Opening hours: 7am–0am
- Address: Unit 601, Tsuen Wan Plaza, 4-30 Daba Street, Tsuen Wan District, New Territories (新界荃湾大霸街4-30号荃湾广场6楼601铺)
- Tel: 00852-2499 0032
The highlight in Café Deco is that customers can appreciate the beautiful views of Victoria Harbor and the colorful night scenery of Hong Kong in the restaurant. Café Deco serves various kinds of food from several countries, including western food, Hong Kong food and Indian food. Oyster should be the most famous food there, and there are a great number of desserts and drinks meeting customers’ demands.
- Chinese name: 峰景餐厅 Fengjing Canting /feng-jing tsan-ting/
- Average price per person: HKD 494
- Opening hours: 11:30am–0am (from Monday to Thursday); 11:30–1am (during Friday and Saturday) and 09:30am–0am (during Sunday and public holidays)
- Address: Floor 1, Peak Square, 118 Peak Road (山顶道118号山顶广场1楼)
- Tel: 00852-2849 5111
Cova Ristorante & Cafe
It is an Italian restaurant mainly serving Italian food, such as lasagnas, rice cooked with seafood, lobster soup and Italy-style dishes and desserts. Coffee and self-service appetizers are available there.
- Average price per person: HKD 151
- Address: Floor 3, Taigu Square, 88 Queensway (金钟道88号太古广场3楼)
- Tel: 00852-2918 9660
Caprice French Restaurant
Caprice mainly serves French food, featuring fresh and natural taste. Caprice chooses the best seasonable ingredients; hence the menu will be changed with the seasons change. Contemporary French cuisine is accompanied by exclusive wines and Pastry Chef Marike Van Beurden's unforgettable desserts. Caprice features an extensive selection of wines from the Bordeaux and Burgundy regions, as well as a variety of European and New World wines from great vineyards around the world. Customers can visit the following website to check the menu in advance (http://www.fourseasons.com/hongkong/dining/caprice/). Customers can appreciate the charming scenery of Victoria Harbor and Kowloon Peninsula in Caprice.
- Average price per person: HKD 823
- Hours: 12pm–2:30pm (for lunch) and 6pm–10:30pm (for dinner, and closing time for last order)
- Address: Floor 6, Four Seasons Hotel, 8 Financial Street, Central (中环金融街8号四季酒店6楼)
- Tel: 00852-3196 8860
- The Key Places in Hong Kong that Every Tourist Needs to Know (including the Best Restaurants in Hong Kong)
Questions and Answers About Hong Kong Restaurants
Hi Mi, please check here for the restaurants information. http://www.chinahighlights.com/hong-kong/restaurants.htmWhitney Liao replied on 2013-05-25
Hi Ismail, you can check it here: http://www.chinahighlights.com/hong-kong/restaurants.htmWhitney Liao replied on 2012-12-24
Hi Ching, you can go to Xigong 西贡in Hong Kong for the delicious sang mee with lobster. There are lots of seafood restaurants there. And it is the most popular one for the local people. Different restaurant has different range.Whitney Liao replied on 2012-10-29
Hi Kevin, most of the hotels in HK provide both Chinese and western dinners. Here is also a detailed one for you.
The Langham Hong Kong 香港朗廷酒店
Add: No.8 Beijing Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, HK 香港九龙尖沙咀北京道8号
Tel: 00852-23751133Whitney Liao replied on 2012-09-11
We listed one Muslim restaurant on our website:
Habibi Muslim Restaurant
Address: 112-114 Wellington St. Shop B & D, Ground Floor in Sheung Wan west of Central District.
I updated this article on April 15, 2013
See all my travel articles