Loaf On Seafood Restaurant
This little seafood restaurant serves up excellent food at low prices. It seats a few dozen people, and the table setting, chairs and decor are simple. It doesn’t have a view either. But the environment is more peaceful than most, and though the service isn’t consistent, the food is usually good or very good.
Loaf On 六福菜館 has been rated One Michelin Star for several years. It is only one of about 62 starred restaurants in the whole of Hong Kong in 2012, and it is probably the least expensive.
People can enjoy a good meal for as little as 100 HKD (13 USD). But special orders cost more. The prices are increasing since it was first listed in the Michelin Guide. Due to the star rating, the restaurant is attracting a following, so it is best to make a reservation and order beforehand if you want a special dish.
Good for Hikers
Sai Kung is a favorite spot for expats and outdoors enthusiasts. There are big beaches and hiking paths. The restaurant is an ideal place for hikers to have lunch or dinner. You aren’t expected to dress up to eat there. Casual dress is fine. You may need to experiment a little to find out what you like. The flavors, ingredients, and ways of preparing the dishes may not be what you are used to or what you like especially if you are new to Hong Kong.
The head cook is a Hakka man, and its mostly Hakka style cuisine. The Hakka people are a large ethnic group with a distinct heritage.
People especially like the Hakka fried pepper tofu (~70 HKD), the “al dente” abalone, geoduck (~500 HKD per plate), and clear fish soup.
- Types of Seafood: Hakka and Cantonese Chinese style
- Preparation: freshly prepared.
- Low Prices: 32 HKD to 400+ depending on selection.
- Reputation: the quality of the food is very good, but the restaurant’s decor isn’t ritzy. It’s simple.
- Location: 49 Market St., Sai Kung, New Territories, 西貢市場街49號.
- Transportation: Take the MTR to Choi Hung (Kwun Tong line). Exit through at Exit C2. Take Bus 92 or 96R at the bus stop (arrives every 5 minutes). Get off at the end of the line (25 minutes).
- Hours: 11:30am to 12:00 midnight.
Back to Hong Kong Restaurants
- Things to Do
- Top Reasons to Visit
- Top Things to Do
- Things to Do With Kids