Lei Garden Restaurants
If you would like to have a fine Chinese or seafood meal at at a Michelin-starred restaurant, yet pay middling (even low) prices in Hong Kong, you can go to the Michelin-starred Lei Gardens restaurants (2012 guide) listed below. There are ten locations in the city and town areas of Hong Kong, and nine below are Michelin starred! Lei Garden Mong Kok received two Michelin stars!
You can have a several course meal with friends for about 140 HKD or 18 USD per person. You can enjoy a variety of seafood including grouper, shrimp, and lobster as well as Cantonese-style dishes and dim sum.
The restaurant chain is best known for delicious dim sum. It is also known for placing people in places foreign tourists are likely to be such as the IFC Mall in Central above the Hong Kong Station and Central Station and Elements Mall in Kowloon above the Kowloon Station.
Lei Garden is known for continuously innovating new dishes, sauces, and tastes. They are also known for fine poultry dishes, steaks, and sea food.
- Types of Seafood: Cantonese and Chinese style
- Preparation: innovative and artistically presented. Formal environment.
- Low Prices: ~120 HKD for lunch to 350 HKD (45 USD) for dinner.
- Reputation: the quality of the food is very good, and the prices are relatively economical. The environment tends towards formality.
- Hours: 11:30 am to 3:00 pm; 6 pm to 11:30 pm (generally).
The Michelin Guide is a fine-food ratings guide based in France. For the Lei Garden restaurant chain to have so many starred restaurants is unusual in the world. No other chain of restaurants in Hong Kong comes close to their record.
2 Stars: Lei Garden (Mong Kok)
Hong Kong only has 10 two-star restaurants, and this one recently received a second star. For comparison, the whole US only has about 14 two-star restaurants. This Lei Garden’s dim sum was called the best in Hong Kong in a 2012 Wall Street Journal article.
Perhaps a place to go after shopping in the Ladies' Market.
- Address: 121 Sai Yee St, Mong Kok 旺角洗衣街121號.
1-Star Lei Garden Restaurants
Lei Garden, Elements Mall
This restaurant in the ritzy Elements Mall is known for being bright, spacious and good for family groups. But it is popular, so a booking is necessary.
- Address: Shop 2068-70, 2/F, Elements, 1 Austin Road West, Tsim Sha Tsui 尖沙咀柯士甸道西1號圓方(Elements)2樓2068-70號舖
Lei Garden, IFC Mall
It is in the busy IFC Mall and has become well known around Central for its delicious food. They serve Chinese dishes including dim sum and seafood.
There are long lines during lunch hours since it is in the middle of a large business area. It is at location 3007–3011 on the third floor.
- Address: Two International Finance Centre Mall, 1 Harbour View Street, Central 中環港景街1號國際金融中心商場二期3樓3008號舖
Lei Garden, Shatin
Shatin is a town north of Kowloon. It is in the New Town Plaza mall, and the MTR station in it allows easy access. The mall and Hong Kong Heritage Museum makes this town popular with tourists.
- Address: Shop 628 & 631, 6/F, New Town Plaza Phase 1, 18 Sha Tin Centre Street, Sha Tin 沙田沙田正街18號新城市廣場一期6樓628&631
Other 1-Star Branches
Lei Garden, Wan Chai
- Address: 1/F, CNT Tower, 338 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai 灣仔軒尼詩道338號北海中心1樓
Lei Garden, Causeway Bay
- Address: 10/F, Times Square, 1 Matheson Street, Causeway Bay 銅鑼灣勿地臣街1號時代廣場食通天10樓
Lei Garden, Tsim Sha Tsui
- Address: 2 U/F Houston Center, 63 Moody Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui 尖沙咀麼地道63號好時中心地庫2層
Lei Garden, North Point
- Address: Shop 13, ground floor, Hoi Lei Garden, Tuen Mun 屯門海麗花園商埸地舖13號
Lei Garden, Kowloon Bay
- Address: Shop F2, Telford Plaza 1, Kowloon Bay 九龍灣偉業街33號德福廣場一期F2號舖
I updated this article on August 23, 2012
See all my travel articles