Huangshan Travel Tips
Huangshan is most famous for its sun rise and sea of clouds. However, these wonders are subject to weather conditions.
The weather on the mountain is changeable. However, you don't have to be upset about the possibility of inclement weather, because the landscapes of Yellow Mountain are outstanding at any time. After the rain, the scenery is enhanced with the sea of clouds, rainbows and waterfalls.
The peak tourist season lasts from April to November. However, the winter season is considered a better time to view the sea of clouds. Please note that paths up some peaks may be closed due to snow or footpath maintenance. More about Huangshan Weather
What to Pack
It is advised that suitcases and excess luggage be deposited at a hotel in the city or at the foot of the mountain. Just bring an overnight bag to the top of the mountain. A backpack is easier to carry.
Don't forget to bring a torch (you'll be walking in the dark if you want to get to a viewing point for the first rays of dawn); walking poles (if you use them); sunscreen; mosquito repellant, enough warm clothes (bearing in mind that it is several degrees colder at altitude), and waterproofs (an umbrella can be inconvenient when climbing or unusable in the wind). Bring warm clothes and wear trekking shoes with a good grip. Layers of clothes are practical for taking on and off when climbing the mountain. If feeling cold in your hotel room on the mountain, you can ask the hotel staff for additional quilts.
Carry water/ other drinks to prevent dehydration and snacks to keep your energy levels up. It you want to save money and don't mind carrying more weight, you could buy provisions before you start to ascend the mountain. Although supplies are available, the prices are around three times more expensive at the mountaintop hotels and shops.
The cost of eating and shopping is very high on the mountain, because all items are carried up to the top by porters. Food in hotels and restaurants is expensive, but the quality is often not as good as similarly priced dishes in the city. Fortunately all food tastes much better after walking in the mountain air.
- Watch your footing when climbing the steps and be mindful of your safety when taking photos. Particularly take your time and watch your step where there is snow or ice on the ground. Stop walking if you want to look at scenery or take photos.
- There is no smoking allowed on the mountain, except in the smoking areas.
- If there is a storm, please do not climb to the summits or stand under trees which may be struck by lightning.
- Use a raincoat for protection from the wind and rain. Don't use an umbrella as it can be an inconvenience or even a hazard.
- Please keep away from monkeys on the mountain. Don't bring out food in front of them.
- During the peak season, as well as weekends and Chinese holidays, like International Workers' Day Holiday (May 1-3); National Day Holiday (October 1-7), and Spring Festival Holiday (1 week in January or February), Huangshan is a very popular destination. It is advisable to make your reservations as early as possible if you want to visit Huangshan in these periods.
- Keep abreast of the latest weather information, and make appropriate preparations. This is the first thing to consider before traveling to Huangshan.
- Those who have asthma, high blood pressure, heart problems or other health conditions should bring along enough medicine and water in case of emergency. Don't travel alone. Those to whom mountain climbing presents a serious health risk are recommended to take the cable cars and sedan chairs.
- Tour guides are familiar with the Yellow Mountains, both the good points and the risks, so tourists should follow tour guides' suggestions and instructions. Don't ignore good advice, or else problems and accidents may occur.
- There are hospitals in Huangshan CIty, 70 km (40 miles) from the foot of the mountains. If you develop serious symptoms it is advised that you use the sedan chair service and cable cars to get down the mountain and to a hospital as soon as as possible. There is no specialist mountain rescue service or medical center on the mountain.
Useful Travel Information
A Bank of China branch can be found inside Yellow Mountain Scenic Area. The bank clerks may not speak Engligh, so bringing an interpreter is advised. There is a cash point at North Sea Hotel.
There are phone booths inside the scenic area.
Huangshan City People's Hospital
Add: 4 Suli Street, Tunxi District
Huangshan District People's Hospital
Address: 19 Taiping West Road
Second People's Hospital of Huangshan City
Address: 72 Daizhen Road, Tunxi District
Useful Telephone Numbers
- Fire: 119
- Police: 110
- Ambulance: 120
- Consumer Complaints: 12315
- Tourist Complaints: 2517464
- Local Telephone Number and Long-Distance Area Code Inquiries: 114
- International City Code Inquiries: 116
- Weather Forecast: 121
- Zip Code Inquiries: 184