Atushi is one of the paradises of the adventures. It has been listed as “One of the 20 most attractive places in the world” by ADVENTURE, one American journal of adventure.
Shipton’s Arch is located at the junction of the Kunlun Mountain and the Snow Mountain, around 75 kilometers (47 miles) away from the Atushi city. It covers an area from 75°31′ 22″ to 75°31′ 47″ east longitude and from 39°39′ 29″ to 39°40′ 11″ northern latitude.
In 1947, Aric Shipton, English consul at Kashmir and adventure, found a huge natural stone arch in Atushi. The stone arch measures 475 metres (1,558.4 ft) in height and it is the highest stone arch in the world.
The Stone arch stands on the Pamirs Plateau. It is shaped like “∩”. It is around 100 meters (328 ft) wide and 500 meters (1,640 ft) high. The huge stone arch stands on the plateau. Travelers can find it at a distance.
There are many stone caves at the right side of the stone arch. People can hear the echoes in front of the right side. The left sides of the stone arch looks like a wired paintings. People can hear all the echoes in the middle of the stone arch.
It is quite difficult to clime the stone arch. The rock weathering here is severe and the rock is brittle. Accidents occur a lot. It is a good place to enjoy the prompt drop. There are lots of rock jocks visiting the Stone Arch every year.
- China Hiking Tours: China Hiking Tours offer energetic out-door people a different and exciting option for an adventure holiday.
- Natural Scenery Tours in China: China natural is unique and renowned as some of the most beautiful on earth. Choose our Natural Scenery Tour to see it’s magnificence with your own eyes!
- China Attractions Guide
1.Although this site does not charge admission fees, the only way to enter it is through a household. The locals put up wooden ladders here for visitors to climb. 2 yuan is charged for using one section of the ladders. There are 8 sections here, so you need to pay 16 yuan for using it. It is suggested that you use the ladders because it is hard to climb without it.
2.The terrain here is rather complex, and there is no signal for cell phones. You might easily get lost. Using a tour guide is suggested, and you need to prepare enough food and water, fill up the tank. Do not rashly run a risk.
Questions and Answers About Shipton's Arch
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.