Qiaojiao(standing on tiptoe) beef
>Qiaojiao beef is a famous local snack of Leshan made from the internal organs of a bull. There is an interesting saying from the old days: “Fishers were poor, could not afford beef, so they cooked the internal organs of bulls with soup, and ate them standing. Because they were very tired, they stood on tiptoe and leaned on the table.”
Stewed Jiangtuan Fish
Jiangtuan fish is tender and has few bones. It tastes very fresh when stewed with mushrooms, ham and yulan slices. These fish live in the rivers of Leshan, so Leshan Stewed Jiangtuan Fish has a great reputation in Sichuan Cuisine.
Dongpo Ink Fish
Dongpo Ink Fish lives in Minjiang River at the foot of Leshan Giant Buddha. According to legend, the fish is dyed with the ink of the poet Su Dongpo (1037-1101), who studied in the Dongpo Reading Building at the Dafo Temple (Lingyun Temple). When cooked, the outer skin of the fish gets crisp and the meat becomes tender.
Bang-Bang (stick) Chicken
This is one of the most popular dishes, made with cold chicken (breast or leg) shreds and topped with a spicy sauce. The cold chicken meat must be hit with a stick while cooking, which is how it gets its name! This dish is delicious and tender, and is offered by most restaurants in Leshan, attracting hundreds of thousands of diners.
Zhongshi Lao Xiba Bean Curd Restaurant
Recommended dish: Xiba Bean Curd, Sichuan Cuisine
Address: at Jiahui Mansion in Xiaogongzui area in Leshan City Center
Jiuding Hotel Restaurant
Recommended dish: Sichuan Cuisine, Bean Curd dinner, local snack
Address: at No.1 at Wuyouba Diaoyutai in Leshan City
Bus route: Bus No.3, 13
Pattaya Western Food Restaurant
Recommended dish: beefsteak, fruit wine, cost-free lemonade
Business Hours: from lunch time until 2:00am
Address: at No.10 building on Mishuiyuan Walking Street, Leshan City
Han Mei Wei (Korean Dainty)
Recommended dish: Korean traditional kimchi, stir-fry rice cake, pork belly
Average cost per person: CNY 50-60
Address: Wenxinyuan of Wanren Residential Community, Shizhong District, Leshan City
Wang Haoer Fishing Port Restaueant
It is a restaurant built on a ship, mainly serving fish dishes, with the signature dish is Huangla Ding (黄辣丁, a kind of fish named plteobagrus fulvidraco). Most dishes there are spicy, customers can ask the serves to change the tastes (light spicy, mid-spicy and super-spicy). Hot pot is also available there.
- Chinese name: 王浩儿渔港 Wang Haoer Yugang /wung haoww-er yoo-gung/
- Average price per person: 79 yuan
- Address: Wang Haoer Port, Middle Section of Binjiang Road (滨江路中段王浩儿码头)
- Tel: 0833-2454 838
Zhao Family Youtang Spiced Crispy Duck
It is such a small restaurant that customers who have never heard of it might ignore it. Spiced crispy duck enjoys a high fame for its great taste (a little sweet crispy duck skin and tender, light spicy, fragrant and salty duck meat), and some people think it is more delicious than Beijing roast duck (北京烤鸭). Customers are advised to enjoy the duck when it is freshly made.
- Chinese name: 赵记油烫甜皮鸭 Zhaoji Youtang Tianpi Ya /jaoww-jee yo-tung tyen-pee yah/
- Average price per person: 20 yuan
- Address: Facing to Xinchuan Cinema (新春电影院), on the Tuiyang Wan Slope, Xinchun Street Corner (新春街口兑阳湾坡上)
- Tel: 0833-2114196, 2129283
It is a biggish restaurant in Leshan, mainly serves Sichuan-style dishes. The dishes of the restaurant have no highlight, but all the dishes are okay according to customers having been there. It is a nice restaurant for banquet.
- Chinese name: 红利来酒店 Honglilai Jiudian /hong-lee-leye jyo-dyen/
- Average price per person: 71 yuan
- Address: 268 Jiading Middle Road, Shizhong District (市中区嘉定中路268号)
- Tel: 0833-2175 888
Questions and Answers About Leshan Dining
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on May 11, 2012
See all my travel articles