Lhasa Western Restaurants
1. Dunya Restaurant & Bar
Dunya Restaurant & Bar serves serves real Western food as well as Tibetan food, and is popular with foreign travelers. It was the first Western-style restaurant in Lhasa, and is run by two foreign couples. The name means “the world” in ten languages.
The two-storied restaurant is decorated in Tibetan style, combined with western features: crystal chandeliers and owners’ travel photos mixed with delicate Tibetan arts and crafts. The brown wooden tables and chairs with some green leaves suspended from the ceiling create a peaceful and quiet environment for the guests.
The seats on the second floor veranda are highly recommended for enjoying the changing panorama of the street. The western style bar stocks wines imported from all around the world
- Chinese name: 顿尼亚西餐厅 Dunniya Xicanting
- Recommended dishes: Pizza (披萨), steak (牛排), stir-fried rice with vegetables (蔬菜炒饭), Nepalese coffee (尼泊尔咖啡), and sandwiches (三明治).
- Average price per person: 54 yuan
- Address: 100 Beijing East Road, Chengguan District (城关区北京东路100号)
- Tel: 0891-6333374
Transportation: Take bus 7, 8, 20, 22, or 23, and get off at Cemenlin (策门林站).
2. Lhasa Snowland Restaurant
Lhasa Snowland Restaurant is ideal for travelers because it is near the Jokhang Temple. It is famous for Tibetan-style western food and delicate desserts, like cake with yogurt. In addition, the restaurant also offers tasty Nepalese food.
Like most restaurants in Lhasa, the Snowland Restaurant is decorated in Tibetan style, with many Tibetan ornaments. What’s interesting is that there is a place for travelers to write down their thoughts and impressions on Lhasa.
- Chinese name: 拉萨雪域餐厅 Lasa Xueyu Canting
- Recommended dishes: Cake with yogurt (酸奶蛋糕), yogurt (酸奶), steak (牛排), cheese cake (芝士蛋糕), lamb chops (羊排), Tibetan butter tea (酥油茶), buns stuffed with potato (土豆包子), stir-fried rice with curry (咖喱饭), and Indian fried pies (印度白饼).
- Average price per person: 48 yuan
- Opening hours: 7 a.m.–11.30 p.m.
- Address: Floor 1, 4 Tibetan Hospital Road, Chengguan District (城关区藏医院路4号1楼)
- Tel: 0891-6337323 0891-6323687
- Transportation: Take bus 7, 8, 20, 22, or 23, and get off at Cemenlin (策门林站).
3. Lhasa Namaste Restaurant
Lhasa Namaste Restaurant is a Nepalese restaurant that also serves Tibetan and Indian dishes. It is very popular among travelers, and sometimes gets crowded.
The restaurant may look commonplace on the outside but inside design and decorations are elaborate, with many Tibet and Nepalese ornaments, and a picture of the whole Potala Palace. Seats near the window are popular due to the scenery and the mountains in the distance.
- Chinese name: 拉萨娜玛瑟德餐厅 Lasa Namasede Canting
- Recommended dishes: Masala chicken with naan bread (马沙拉鸡配楠), sweet tea (甜茶), cheese cake (奶酪蛋糕), deep-fried lamb chops (炸羊排), braised cauliflower with potatoes (菜花烩薯),Tibetan butter tea (酥油茶), yogurt (酸奶), and Namaste-style fruit salad (招牌水果色拉).
- Average price per person: 48 yuan
- Opening hours: 8 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Address: Floor 2, Pearl Peak Greatness Mall, 30 Yutuo Road, Chengguan District (城关区宇拓路30号珠峰伟业2楼)
- Tel: 0891-6324669
- Transportation: Take bus 10, 12, 15, 17, 18, 19, or 24, and get off at Dongchong Jiaoyi Zhongxin/Cordy Ceps Trade Center (冬虫交易中心).
Questions and Answers About Lhasa Western Restaurants
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on November 15, 2012
See all my travel articles