The city of Lijiang is located in the northwestern corner of Yunnan Province, southeast of Tibet Autonomous Region. It has the same beautiful terrain as Shangri-La, located about 200 km (125 mi) northwest of Lijiang in Diqing Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture.
As with many small mountainous towns and cities in China, Lijiang is mystically beautiful. So, while getting there might under ordinary circumstances be half of the fun, we suggest that you instead "cut to the chase" and get to Lijiang by the quickest means at your disposal (by air) — we feel confident that you will not regret it!
Lijiang Sanyi International Airport is one of the three international airports in Yunnan Province, together with Kunming Changshui International Airport and Xishuangbanna Gasa International Airport. All the main cities in China are accessible from Lijiang Sanyi International Airport.
The facilities of Lijiang Sanyi International Airport are complete to tourist requirements. It has a single runway, 19 aircraft bays, and eight boarding gates. Shuttle buses are very convenient for you to get to the city center.
There are two railways stations in Lijiang: Lijiang Railway Station and Lijiang East Railway Station. They make Lijiang much more accessible from the major cities of Yunnan Province, such as Kunming and Dali. It is an important part of the Yunnan–Tibet Railway.
Lijiang East Railway Station has 17 windows selling train tickets to tourists, from 7:20am to 9am, 12pm to 3pm, and 5:20pm to 8:30pm. You can take buses 4, 16, 18 to the railway station.
Lijiang has several bus stations to reach the main cities in Yunnan Province.
Lijiang Passenger Transport Service Center Bus Station
- Address: Changshui Road, southwest corner of Lijiang Ancient City
- Telephone: 0888-5121106
- Buses to Zhongdian, Deqin, and Kunming
Lijiang Guluwan Bus Station
- Address: Red Sun Square, close to Black Dragon Pool Park, north of Lijiang Ancient City
- Telephone: 0888-5122929
- Buses to Daju, Xiaguan, Zhongdian, Panzhihua, and Kunming
Lijiang Gaokuai Bus Station
- Address: Shangri-La Avenue
- Telephone: 0888-5169758
- Buses only to Kunming
Lijiang Tourist Bus Station
- Address: Close to Naxi Hotel, Changshui Road
- Telephone: 0888-5125492
- Buses to local tourist areas
As Lijiang is small, exploring on foot is ok. Taxis and rentable bicycles are also available.
Questions and Answers About Lijiang Transportation
Hi Lau, yes, it is doable for 4 of you to complete your sight seeing within 6 days. Are there any kids or elderly people in your group? How old if yes? Please also kindly advise the exact date you would like to start the tour. Then we will send you a proposal.Whitney Liao replied on 2013-01-15
Hi Richard, either from Shanghai to Kunming or from Kunming to Lijiang, there is a long distance. So both recommend plane as transportation. Between Kunming and Lijiang, Dali is also highly recommended. Then you can fly to Dali first from Kunming, and drive to Lijaing from Dali. We are very glad to send you a detailed itinerary, please let me know below the information:
1. Number of people in your group including yourself
2. Length of stay in China
3. Inbound / outbound city
4. Starting date of the tour
5. Class of Hotel: 3 / 4 / 5 star
6. Estimative total budget per personWhitney Liao replied on 2012-11-05
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on December 26, 2013
See all my travel articles