Nanjing Vegetarian Restaurants
Baiweizhai Vegetarian Restaurant
The dishes mainly have a light taste. The restaurant is known for its creative cuisine names, tenacious noodles and its soup which has a light taste. You’d better sit in comfort by the window through which you can enjoy watching the boats on Xuanwu Lake or the flow of people walking past. The decoration is a classic style and the environment is elegant and great. The meat-like vegetarian dishes are quite vivid and alike both in appearance and taste.
Chinese name: 百味斋素菜馆 Baiweizhai Sucai Guan
Recommended dishes: vegetarian noodles (素面), Ping’an noodles (平安面, lasagna with vegetables), vegetarian “goose” (素鹅, mixture of dried tofu skin, mushroom and mats to take on the appearance of goose), mixed noodles (什锦面, mixed vegetables with noodles), frozen cream in coconut juice (椰汁冻膏), tofu with dry skin in pot-stewed soup (回卤干), spring roll (春卷, vegetables wrapped in a thin flour skin), plum juice (乌梅汁), twice cooked “pork” (回锅肉, fried eggplants with a flour paste), spicy “kebabs” (羊肉串, roasted gluten with a kebab taste)
- Average price per person: 26 yuan
- Opening hours: 9am – 8pm
- Address: 1 Jiming Temple Road, Xuanwu District (玄武区鸡鸣寺路1号), near to the Jiefang Gate (解放门)
- Tel: 025-57713690
- Transportation: Take Bus 24, 48, 67, 140 or 304 and get off at Xiajia Datang station (西家大塘)
Jiangxi Vegetarian Restaurant
It is located near Nanjing Normal University where you have a good chance to experience the university culture. There are many kinds of southern Chinese style rice noodles which are quite delicious. The environment is good and this gives you a feeling of comfort. It is a perfect place for lovers who are dating, self-relaxation and having a break after a long time spent shopping or walking.
Chinese name: 江西素食馆 Jiangxi Sushi Guan
Recommended dishes: sour and spicy rice noodles (酸辣粉), vegetable rice noodles (三鲜粉), fried rice noodles with eggs (鸡蛋炒粉), preserved egg and shredded “pork” congee (皮蛋瘦肉粥, bean products with a meat taste), “old friend” rice noodles (老友粉, sour and spicy taste)
- Average price per person: 15 yuan
- Address: Suojin Cun, Xuanwu District (玄武区锁金村), near to Nanjing Normal University (南京师大)
- Transportation: Take Bus 11, 28, 45, 68, 115, 118 or 136 and get off at Gangzi Cun (岗子村)
The Buddhism Vegetarian Restaurant
It advocates the concept of supporting vegetarian diets and cultivating good health. The ingredients are all organic vegetables, beans, peanuts and seaweeds or other healthy items. The environment is great, giving you a sense of comfort. Complimentary health tea is offered. The entire turnover is used for printing Chinese classics. There are also many books available to read about Buddhism.
Chinese name: 佛缘素食 Foyuan Sushi
Recommended dishes: pumpkin paste (南瓜羹), sweet and sour “fish” (糖醋鱼, bean products with the appearance and taste of fish), plain fried small cabbage (清炒小白菜), walnut cookie (核桃酥)
- Average price per person: 15 yuan
- Address: 12 Small Jiuhua Mountain, Xuanwu District (玄武区小九华山12号), near to Beijing East Road (北京东路)
- Tel: 13337836064
- Transportation: Take Bus 1 or 33 (air-conditioned) and get off at Gulou Hospital station (鼓楼医院)
Shensongju Vegetarian Restaurant
There has been a long history of this vegetarian restaurant in Nanjing. The service is quite considerate and is highly spoken of by the customers. The environment is elegant and comfortable. It is near to the Nanjing Institute of P.E and there are a lot of scenic spots around. The dishes are mainly light to taste, are very delicious and healthy.
Chinese name: 深松居素菜馆 Shensongju Sucai Guan
Recommended dishes: vegetarian noodles (素面), vegetarian “pork ribs” (素排骨, lotus roots with a pork rib taste), fried vegetables (烧时蔬), fried balsam (炒苦瓜)
- Average price per person: 28 yuan
- Opening hours: 11am – 9pm
- Address: Linggu Temple scenic spot, Zhongshan Cemetery, 2 Linggu Temple Road, Xuanwu District (玄武区灵谷寺路2号中山陵园灵谷寺景区内), near to the Nanjing Institute of P.E. (南京体育学院)
- Tel: 025-84430579
- 1. Take Subway Line 1 and get off at Xinjiekou station (新街口站)
- 2. Take Subway Line 2 and get off at Xiamafang station, Exit 4 (下马坊站4号出口)
Tiandi Vegetarian Restaurant
It is located near to the Ancient Forest Park which has beautiful scenery. The environment is quiet and comfortable. What’s more, the sanitary condition is good. The waiters and waitresses are enthusiastic and considerate. There are various kinds of vegetarian dishes offered which are both great in appearance and in taste.
Chinese name: 天帝素食 Tiandi Sushi
Recommended dishes: boiled “fish” with pickled cabbage and chili (酸菜鱼, bean products with a fish taste), Chinese yam with osmanthus sauce (桂花山药), fried mixed vegetables (什锦蔬菜), pumpkin with a cream cake roll (奶油金瓜卷)
- Average price per person: 50 yuan
- Address: Ancient Forest Park, 21 Kuju North Road, Gulou District (鼓楼区虎锯北路21号古林公园正门口), near to Beijing West Road (北京西路)
- Tel: 025-83960407, 025-85412807
- Transportation: Take Bus 21, 24, 109 or 132 and get off at Ancient Forest Park (古林公园)
Questions and Answers About Nanjing Vegetarian Restaurants
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on August 21, 2012
See all my travel articles