Name: Qingdao (青岛; Qīngdǎo /ching-dow/)
Meaning: 'blue-green island'
Previous names: Tsingtao (Western name), Jiao-ao (Qing Empire)
- Major industrial area, port, and military center
- Famous for Tsingtao Beer and International Beer Festival
- Tourist highlight in Shangdong Province
- Popular for its coastal scenery, parks and German architecture
- Laoshan Mountain, International Beer Festival, and many old German buildings including St. Michael's Cathedral and Guest House (a small German castle)
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: Tsingtao Beer, seafood, local green tea, seashell carving
- Most popular local food: Tsingtao Beer, Qingdao dabaozi (stuffed bun)
The city city is now a world-leading port and industry area. There was a Qing fort there in the late Qing Empire, and in the early 20th century under German and Japanese rule, it was one of China's most modern towns.
- 1897 The city was ceded to Germany.
- 1914 Japan conquered the city after declaring war on Germany.
- 1938 Japan conquered the region.
- Significance of the city: It is a major port city and the center of a rapidly growing industrial region. The World Bank named it as one of the 6 "golden cities" of China in 2006.
- Nearby cities: Jinan (308 km/191 mi), Yantai (250 km/155 mi)
- Municipality terrain: The municipality terrain covers a small peninsula and surrounding areas on the East China Sea facing South Korea. There are some mountains in the municipality and several small rivers.
- Main rivers: Licun River
- Municipality location: 35 ° 35' to 37 ° 09' N and 119 ° 30' to 121 ° 00' E; East China
- Municipality population: 8,715,000
- Municipality area: 11,026 sq km (4,257 sq mi)
- Municipality population density: 790/sq km (2,047/sq mi)
- Urban area: 1,411 sq km (544 sq mi)
- Urban population: 3,063,000
- Urban population density: 2,170/sq km (5,622/sq mi)
- North to south distance: 117 km (73 mi)
- East to west distance: 54 km (33 mi)
- City center: Shinan District (36.0N, 120.37E)
- Annual average low temperature in January: -3 °C (27 °F)
- Annual average high temperature in July: 28 °C (82 °F)
- Temperate, four-season, monsoon-influenced climate; annual precipitation: 700~900 mm (27~ 35 in) depending on location and elevation
Qingdao has dry, cold winters and warm, humid summers.
- Average annual income: (2008) 52,900 RMB (8,316 USD)
- Development: developing; the economy is rapidly growing, and the city has the world's seventh largest port.
- Industry: 46.4% tertiary industry (services), 48.7% secondary (heavy industry, electronics, petrochemical industry), 4.9% primary (agriculture, fishing industry)
- Shopping Streets: Longshan Underground Commercial Street, Taidong Pedestrian Street
- Qingdao Liuting International Airport is about 65 kilometers from the city center.
- 1 main regular train station
- The first subway line may begin operation in 2014.
I updated this article on April 27, 2012
See all my travel articles