Qingdao Vegetarian Restaurants
1. Tian Hua Xiang Vegetarian Restaurant
The restaurant mainly serves Taiwanese-style vegetarian food, the raw materials of which are mostly selected from the semi-finished products from Taiwan. And famous cooks from Taiwan have given much guidance there and have even been the chefs involved in the cooking process. More and more consumers have been attracted to the restaurant. It is enjoyable to taste tea and chat there.
- Chinese name: 天华香素食馆 Tian Hua Xiang Sushi Guan
- Recommended dishes: needle mushrooms, lentinus edodes (shiitake mushrooms), potato skins and bean curd steamed in black pepper (黑椒素牛排)，baked ‘hams’ and ‘abalone’ slices (素煨火腿鲍片), pure vegetarian diet (纯素食)
- Kindly reminder: While many dishes have the name, appearance, and even the taste of meat or fish, they are actually made for vegetarians. We can only marvel at the exceptional culinary skills of the cooks!
- Address: 86 Yunxiao Road 青岛市云霄路86号
- Tel: 0532-85718788
- Transportation: 1) Take bus 402 (one-way traffic) and get off at Minjiang Garden; 2) Take bus 12, 12 (branch), 26, 31 (one-way traffic), 33, 104, 104 (branch), 110, 110 (interval), 125, 125 (branch), 224 (one-way traffic), 225 (one-way traffic and with air conditioner), 228 (one-way traffic), 231 (one-way traffic), 232 (one-way traffic and with air conditioner), 304, 311, 312 (whole journey), 312 (interval), 314, 316, 319 (one-way traffic), 321 (one-way traffic), 374, 402 (one-way traffic), 501 (with air conditioner) or 601 (one-way traffic) and get off at Fushansuo (浮山所), and then walk about 320 meters.
- Opening hours: 11am – 2pm; 5pm – 9pm
2. Qing Xin Lian Vegetarian Tea House
The restaurant mainly serves vegetarian food as well as scented tea, advocating the natural concept of this diet. The food there is cooked with only a little oil, a little salt, without any scallion, garlic, onion, or gourmet powder. The restaurant tries its best to maintain the original taste and true qualities of the food. In addition, it is near a seaside scenic spot; though adjacent to the commercial strip, the restaurant enjoys a tranquil environment. And the traffic there is convenient. The fitments inside and outside the restaurant have combined the styles of both Buddhism and modernism together, making it look more like a palace of art than a restaurant.
- Chinese name: 清心莲素食茶艺馆 Qing Xin Lian Sushi Chayi Guan
- Address: 6 Yan’erdao Road, Shinan District (near Crowne Plaza Qingdao) 市南区燕儿岛路6号(近颐中皇冠假日酒店)
- Tel: 0532-80779116
- Transportation: Take bus 210 (one-way traffic), 231 (one-way traffic) or 402 (one-way traffic) and get off at Ao Fan Base (奥帆基地), and then walk about 170 meters.
3. Tian Yi Xiang Vegetarian Restaurant
The restaurant mainly serves vegetarian dishes made from soybean protein, farina, konjak and various other vegetables. All of the food there is suitable for vegetarians, but you won’t find any ginger or garlic there! Sometimes you may find Buddhist abbots from a nearby temple doing the cooking there. The fitments are of primitive simplicity while the music, the calligraphy and paintings on the walls, and even the droplights on the ceiling embody a charm of Buddhism. On many occasions you will be able to meet masters of Buddhism there; they are from all over the country. Besides, the serving speed is very fast there!
- Chinese name: 天一香素食馆Tian Yi Xiang Sushi Guan
- Recommended dishes: steamed bean sheets with the taste of crispy duck (脆皮素鸭), steamed ‘pork belly’ with preserved greens (梅菜扣肉), boiled dumplings with vegetarian stuffing and vegetable juice (素馅菜汁水饺), fried ‘hams’ and sliced ‘whelks’ (火腿炒螺片), purely fungus soup (全菌汤)
- Kindly reminder: If you find meat-like or fish-like dishes there, please be rest assured that they are all actually made from vegetarian ingredients by excellent chefs.
- Address: 9 Xianju Road, Shinan District (市南区仙居路９号)
- Tel: 0532-85774655
- Transportation: Take bus 11, 23 (loop line), 202 (loop line), 205 (loop line), 223 (loop line), 226 (loop line), 227 (loop line), 301 (loop line), 309 (loop line) or 601 (loop line) and get off at the television building, and then walk about 80 meters.
Xiang Guang Yuan Vegetarian Restaurant
All of the food served in the restaurant is vegetarian, and it is definitely affordable. Meanwhile, you can read books related to Buddhism there for free. One philosophy held by the restaurant is that “Animals are our friends, so we should pay close attention to them and the human beauty embodied by them”.
- Chinese name: 香光园素食餐厅 Xiang Guan Yuan Sushi Canting
- Recommended dishes: shredded ‘pork’ with garlic sauce (鱼香肉丝), spicy diced ‘chicken’ with peanuts (宫保鸡丁)
- Kindly reminder: While much of the food looks and tastes like meat dishes, they are actually all made from vegetarian products. Therefore, pure vegetarians can rest assured that they can eat the food there.
- Opening hours: 6am – 8.30pm
- Address: 25, the second branch, Taihangshan Community, Huangdao District (behind Grand Hoya Hotel in Xiangjiang Road) 黄岛区太行山二支路25号（香江路世贸海悦大酒店后）
- Tel: 13687693746
- Transportation: 1) Take bus 15, 25 or 27, and get off at Grand Hoya Hotel; 2) Take bus Huangdao 1, Huangdao 12, Huangdao 15, Huangdao 22, Huangdao 25, Huangdao 27, Huangdao 29 or Huangdao 30 and get off at PICC P&C, and then walk about 190 meters.
- Opening hours: 10am – 10.30pm
Quan Fu Zhai Restaurant
All of the dishes served in the restaurant are pure vegetarian dishes. The restaurant pays special attention to the preservation of people’s health, and adheres to environmentally friendly and low carbon cooking methods. In this way, the restaurant intends to enable the consumer to have a delicious as well as a healthy diet. A vegetarian diet has become a symbol of fashion, and having vegetarian meals has become a healthy, elegant and harmonious lifestyle. The pure vegetarian dishes and marvelous delicacy of the food make it an ideal place for vegetarians.
- Chinese name: 全福斋食府 Quan Fu Zhai Restaurant
- Address: 1295 Zhujiang Road, Kaifa District 开发区珠江路1595号
- Tel: 15092115699
P. S. : Din Tai Fung, a restaurant that is famous both at home and abroad, offers vegetarians exceptional and delicious dumplings, which will make you unable to stop eating even though you want to. It’s no doubt a gospel message for people who love vegetarian food as well as dumplings. The introduction is as follows:
Din Tai Fung Restaurant
Din Tai Fung, a large pastry chain originating from Taiwan, was once ranked as one of the world’s top ten restaurants by the New York Times and is famous for its soup dumplings; both the wrapper’s size and the stuffing’s weight of which are strictly stipulated. The size of a soup dumpling may be small, but every one is pretty tasty. The restaurant also serves many kinds of seasonal vegetables, such as fried bean seedlings which taste extremely refreshing. The restaurant is very well maintained and clean which adds additional confidence towards the preparation of the food.
- Chinese name: 鼎泰丰 Ding Tai Fung
- Recommended dishes: stir-fried bacteria mushrooms (清炒菌菇), ‘meat’ dumplings in a spicy sauce (红油抄手), baked agrocybe aegerita (black poplar mushroom) (焗茶树菇 ), vinegar-pepper soup (酸辣汤), vegetarian steamed dumplings (素菜蒸饺), fried lettuce leaves (油麦菜), almond curd in syrup (杏仁豆腐)
- Average price per person: 106 yuan
- Address: the western district of Baili Square, 88 Macao Road, Shinan District 市南区澳门路88号百丽广场西区
- Tel: 0532-66061309
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 11.30am – 9.30pm; Saturday, Sunday and holidays 11am – 10pm
- Transportation: Take bus 231 or 317, and get off at Ao Fan Base station (奥帆基地站).
I updated this article on August 20, 2012
See all my travel articles