Wuzhizhou Island Tourism Zone
Wuzhizhou is a small island with an associated holiday village just off the coast of Hainan. Crystal clear sea, beautiful beaches, rare wildlife and coral reefs are its main attractions．
Top Beaches in China
Wuzhizhou Island is located in Haitang Bay on the south coast of Hainan Island, about 30 kilometers (18 miles) due west from the city of Sanya. Wuzhizhou Island is located in Haitang Bay. Yalong Bay, known as "The Best Bay in China" is the next bay to the south. It is 38 kilometers (24 miles) from Phoenix Airport, Sanya.
Wuzhizhou Island has an area of 1.48 square kilometers (0.57 square miles) in the shape of an irregular butterfly with a length of 1400 meters from the east to the west and a width of 1100 meters from the north to the south.
As one of the few islands with fresh water and rich plant life around Hainan Island, it possesses more than 2000 species of plants and lots of rare trees, like the dragon tree "Giant Panda in the Plants", as well as some rare botanic ecosystems.
There are more than 2000 different kinds of plants, trees and shrubs growing on the island. The altitude of the highest point in the southeast of the island is 80 meters (260 feet) with a dangerous cliff, reef and breaking waves. Land in the west and north is relatively flat with soft white sandy beaches. The sea water there is extremely clear with a maximum visible depth of 27 meters (90 meters). It is rich in nightlight snails, sea cucumber, lobsters, sierra fish, urchins, pomfret and colorful tropical fish. The coral reefs, which are fantastic and of different shapes in the seabed of the southern sea area are well-preserved. Therefore, it is a great place for seawater exploration, especially for diving.
Two historical relics, namely the Matsu Temple and the Guanri Cliff, are the must-see spots.
- Enjoying the beaches
- Seeing the plant and sea life
- Transport to the island is very convenient thanks to its location near Hainan's Eastern Highway and currently the biggest hovership in China, which is able to carry 70 people at a time to the island. The island is accessed from the airport by 25 kilometers (16 miles) of national highway, 6 kilometers (4 miles) of local road to Wuzhizhou Holiday Village and a 6 kilometer (4 mile) boat ride across the bay.
- Weather: Wuzhizhou Island, which is of a typical tropical maritime climate, is endowed with a pleasant temperature all the year round - an ideal place for holidays, leisure, winter escapes, winter swimming and other recreation.
- Telephones: There are telephone boxes on the island, and you can also use the telephone in the hotel room if you have paid the deposit at the front desk. Besides, there is mobile phone reception in Wuzhizhou Holiday Village, and on the beach, Guanri Cliff and on the highest point of the island.
- Clothing and equipment: Usually summer clothes are enough, but you'd better bring some outer layers with long sleeves during the period from January to March as it may be cold in the evening or in the sea breeze. Sunglasses and hats should be taken to protect you from the strong sunshine and sun screen should be used if you are suspectible to sun burn. You may also require mosquito repellant and medicine for sea sickness.
Questions and Answers About Wuzhizhou Island Tourism Zone
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on December 14, 2012
See all my travel articles