Name: Sanya (三亚; Sānyà /san-ya/)
Meaning: 'three Asias' or 'three inferiors'
Previous names: Yazhou, Samah, Pearl Shire
- Popular beach resort
- Southernmost city in China
- Rain forest, offshore islands, beaches and water activities
- 5-star resorts
- Nantian Hot Springs, Yagoda Rainforest, Dadong Hai, Yalong Bay resorts (starred)
- Luhuitou Park, The End of the Earth and the Corner of the Ocean (Tianyahaijiao), Nanshan Cultural Tourism Zone, Wuzhizhou Tourism Zone, Yalong Bay Tourism Zone
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: shells, pearls, spices, fruit products, tropical clothing
- Most popular local food: seafood, spices, fruit products, coconut products
Sanya has become a popular beach holiday destination. It is considered China's Hawaii.
- 110 BC Emperor Hanwu issued an edict for the establishment of Pearl District.
- 1941 The Japanese navy set up a major naval base.
- Significance of the city: Tropical climate, beaches, and rain forest has made the area a favorite tourist spot. It is as the same latitude as Hawaii.
- Nearby cities: Haikou (214 km/133 mi)
- Municipality terrain: stretch of coastline between hills and the South China Sea.
- Municipality location: southern tip of Hainan Island in southernmost China.
- Municipality population: 536,000
- Municipality area: 1,919 sq km (741 sq mi)
- Municipality population density:279/sq km (723/sq mi)
- North to south distance of main urban area: 2.8 km (1.7 mi)
- East to west distance of main urban area: 15 km (9.3 mi)
- City Center: Sanya People's Government building (18.25N, 109.51E)
- Annual average low temperature in January: 18.5 °C (65.3 °F)
- Annual average high temperature in June: 32 °C (89.4 °F)
- Humid subtropical climate; annual precipitation: 1,392 mm (55 in)
Tropical climate with wet and dry seasons; the city is known for warm weather even in winter. Water temperatures remain above 20 °C (68 °F) all year.
- Average annual income: 42,910 RMB (6,100 USD)
- Development: developing; the town is a rapidly developing tropical resort destination.
- Industry: 65.2% tertiary industry (tourist industry, services), 21.4% secondary (industry), 13.4% primary (agriculture, fishing industry)
- Shopping Streets: Jiefang Road
- Sanya Phoenix International Airport is 11 kilometers northwest.
- 1 bullet train line to Haikou
- 1 regular train line that continues on ferries to lines to Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou
I updated this article on April 27, 2012
See all my travel articles