Top 10 Family Activities in Shanghai
Shanghai is a family-friendly city combining Chinese characters with modern elements.
1. Paying an In-depth Visit to Old Alleys
The old alleys in Shanghai are like the Hutongs in Beijing, which best reflect the local life there. You can visit the local residents' homes, having an authentic Shanghai-style lunch. You can also learn to speak Shanghainese by visiting the local market and bargaining with the vendors. Also read Top Five Old Streets in Shanghai.
- Recommended tour: 3-Day Essence of Shanghai with Chinese Language Learning Experience
2. Having a Chinese Cooking Class in the French Concession
You can not only learn Chinese cooking in Beijing's Hutongs, but also in the French Concession area of Shanghai. You can receive a fruitful harvest after about two hours' effort in learning two or three traditional Chinese dishes.
- Recommended tour: Totole Industry & Cooking Class
3. Learning Tai Chi in Kung Fu School
Tai chi is an important part of Chinese culture, which you can learn in the Shanghai Changsheng Tai Chi School in the morning under the guidance of the teacher. Parks in Shanghai and the Bund are also great places to practice tai chi.
- Recommended tour: 1-Day Shanghai Classic & Chinese Learning Combo Tour
4. Wandering off in Yuyuan Garden
Interspersing the forest of skyscrapers in Shanghai, Yuyuan Garden is a cultural scenic attraction for family visitors with toddlers to explore. As a typical Chinese-style garden, Yuyuan is not only a must-visit garden in Shanghai, but also in China, as it is decorated with ancient buildings and countless plants.
- Recommended tour: 3-Day Essence of Shanghai Tour
5. Visiting Shanghai Zoo and Shanghai Wild Animal Park
Animals are the best friends of children. Shanghai Zoo is home to a large variety of animals, including giant pandas, and many other rare species. Kids love that most! Furthermore, Shanghai Wild Animal Park is a place that you shouldn’t miss for a family tour, where you can walk around and take a bus ride around it.
- Recommended tour: Shanghai Memories Tour (contact us to customize it to have the Shanghai Zoo and Wild Animal Park included)
6. Strolling in Water Towns around Shanghai
Taking a boat ride throughout the water towns around Shanghai is a great way to escape the hustle and bustle of the city, experiencing the quiet life. Also see Top Nine Ancient Towns near Shanghai.
- Recommended tour: 4-Day Shanghai Memories & Zhuajiajiao Water Town Tour
7. See Acrobatic Shows
Spending your precious night-time in Shanghai Circus World, appreciating exceptional acrobatic shows, is very interesting and meaningful. Kids love these traditional performances, comprised of dancing, juggling, and even some difficult stunts.
- Recommended tour: Essence of Shanghai and Hangzhou Tour (or have us tailor-make a Shanghai tour including appreciating the acrobatic show)
8. Night Cruising on Huangpu River
The night view of the Bund and modern buildings in the Pudong New District is fantastic. After a whole day of shopping on Nanjing Road, go to the Bund and cruise on Huangpu River with your family as an unmissable part of the Shanghai tour. Also read How to Experience an Evening of Real Shanghai Jazz.
- Recommended tour: Evening Huangpu River Cruise and the Bund Lights Tour
9. Being a Pilgrim in Museums
Museums in Shanghai record the development of Shanghai and China. They are equipped with advanced guidance and facilities. Kids can receive a great lesson of China's history, culture, art and many other aspects by touring in the museums. See Top Seven Museums in Shanghai.
- Recommended tour: Essence of Shanghai with Shanghai Baoyang Cruise Terminal Transfer Tour
10. Flying Kites in Parks
- Recommended tour: Shanghai and Suzhou Memories Tour
Book with Us
Go to Shanghai with your families to enjoy an unforgettable holiday! All China Highlights' Shanghai tours are fully customizable to your requirements. We can also help you to tailor-make a unique tour of Shanghai with top attractions, hotels and restaurants, without any extra cost.
- Things to Do with Kids in Shanghai
- China Family Tours
- Shanghai Accommodation Guide
- Key Places in Shanghai that Every Tourist Needs to Know
- Things to Do
- Top Reasons to Visit
- Top Things to Do
- Things to Do With Kids