Name: Sichuan Province (四川; Sìchuān /sze-chwan/)
Meaning: "four rivers"
Other names: Four Circuits of Rivers and Gorges (川峡四路; Chuānxiá Sìlù), "Province of Abundance"
- An array of scenery: from Tibetan Plateau mountains in the west to flat plains in the east, from huge cities to tall mountains, forests and nature reserves
- Panda preserves
- Archeological sites of a newly discovered ancient Bronze-age civilization called Sanxingdui
- It is China's fifth largest province by size and the third most populous.
Most Popular Attractions
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: silk embroidery, Tibetan and local Chinese art and handicrafts
- Most popular food: Kung Pao (gangbao) Chicken, Sichuan hot pot
- 15th century BC~650 A civilization grew and waned near Chengdu and created cities at Sanxingdui and Jinsha.
- 316 BC The Qin Empire conquered the region.
- 1273 The Mongol army captured the region and seriously weakened the Song Empire.
- 1938-1945 Sichuan became the main Chinese stronghold in the war against the Empire of Japan.
- 1997 A large area of Sichuan Province was carved out to form Chongqing Municipality.
- Capital city: Chengdu
- Tourism: Four major UNESCO Heritage natural reserves, archaeological sites, rugged Tibetan Plateau and an ethnic mix are part of the province’s draw.
- Significance of the province: Sichuan and Chongqing form one of China’s main industrial regions and population centers. It is the only such center in the western part of China.
- Adjacent provinces and territories: Tibet, Qinghai, Gansu, Shaanxi, Guizhou, Yunnan, and the Chongqing Municipality
- Terrain: There is a region of high mountains in the southwest, a high plateau in the northwest, and a lowland region in the eastern part of the province.
- Main rivers: Yangtze River and many tributaries, Yalong River
- Province location: 25° 58' to 34° 19' N, 97° 21' to 108° 32' E; southwestern China.
- Population: (2010) 80,418,000
- Area: 485,000 sq km (187,000 sq mi)
- Population density: 180/sq km (470/sq mi)
The climate in the large province varies according to the elevation and locality. The whole province is impacted by the Southeast Pacific Ocean Monsoon and the Southwest Indian Ocean Monsoon.
- Eastern Lowlands and Chengdu It is often cloudy or foggy, and there is a subtropical monsoon climate. The high mountains southwest of Chengdu are good places to go in the summer.
- Northwestern High Plateau There is a long winter, a cold summer, but lots of sunshine. The temperature drops at night.
- Mountainous Southwest The climate in the southwest region varies from alpine and even arctic in the highest peaks to the tropical climate in the Jinshajiang River valley.
- Average annual income: 17,339 RMB (2,477 USD)
- Development: developing; the province is rich in minerals and is a major agricultural region.
- Industry: 33.7% tertiary industry (services), 50.5% secondary (heavy industry, steel, electronics), 15.7% primary (mining, agriculture)
- Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport is the air travel hub in the region.
- 1 bullet train line between Chengdu and Dujiangyan
Sichuan tours: If your goal is to reach Sichuan, we at China Highlights are here to help you get over all the difficulties.
Questions and Answers About Sichuan Facts
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on April 4, 2014
See all my travel articles