Tour Itinerary of Ancient China Capitals tour
11-Day Beijing, Zhengzhou, Luoyang, Xian and Nanjing Tour (CHD-5)
This history discovery tour will take you to the most important and charming historical cities in China, where you will visit many historical wonders, Buddhism temples and beautiful ancient Chinese archetetures, such as the Forbidden City, Great Wall, the Shaolin Temple and the White Horses Temple( the oldest Buddhism temple in China), the Terra-Cotta Worriors, Longmen Grottoes,the Ming tomb in Nanjing,etc.
- Tour Summary
- Full Itinerary
Place & Transport: Arrive in Beijing, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Beijing), A Free CH cell phone package
- A Free CH cell phone package:
A Free CH cell phone package includes free rental for the cell phone and SIM card (Includes prepaid value of CNY 50), delivery and collection in China. Return the phone to your guide when you depart. For more about the cell phone rental service, please click cell phone rental information.China Highlights also provides a Wi-Fi package so that you can connect to the internet in China anytime and anywhere. Our 3G service provides speeds of up to 21Mbps on your smart phone, pad or laptop, so you can stay in contact. For more detail please visit Wi-Fi rental information .
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: Sacred Way, The Mutianyu Great Wall, Mutianyu Cable Car(round trip), Shahe Cloisonne Factory
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch, Chinese Dinner at Hepingmen Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant
- Sacred Way (50 minutes): An attractive tree-lined walk which leads to the Ming Tombs, this is bordered by 12 sets each of animal and human statues, and includes the attractive Great Red Gate, housing a stele on the back of a tortoise, and marble memorial archway.
- The Mutianyu Great Wall (2 hours): This less-crowded section of the Great Wall is about 1.5-2 hours' drive from Beijing city center. A cable car takes you to a good section (avoiding a very steep climb), where you can walk along the wall, through the watch towers and enjoy superb views as it snakes across the hills and mountains. You can return by cable car, walk down or walk along the wall for about an hour to descend by chairlift. Wear comfortable walking shoes, and in summer prepare sun protection.
- Mutianyu Cable Car(round trip) (10 minutes): It is a challenging climb up to the Mutianyu Great Wall for it is much steeper than Badaling section. Here you have the option of taking the Cable car to the highest point or down to the foot in a few minutes instead of climbing more than 1,400 steps, while you can also have a bird view of the wall.
- Shahe Cloisonne Factory : Sha He Cloisonne Factory manufactures and sells high quality Cloisonne ware. High quality Cloisonne also called "Copper - body and wire inlaid Enamel" requires an elaborate and complicated manufacturing process including hammering, filigree welding, enamel filling, surface polishing and gilding. This is a popular place for those looking for special, quality souvenirs. China Highlights customers have the opportunity to see the manufacturing process. This is an exclusive offer for our customers! There is no pressure to buy!
Address: Dingfu Huang Zhuang North District Beijing
- Hepingmen Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant: Beijing Roast Duck is renowned as the most delicious food of Beijing while Quanjude Restaurants enjoy a high reputation for its Beijing roast duck. Quanjude restaurants have developed their own technique and are famous for outstanding quality. Hepingmen Quanjude restaurant was established in 1979 and located beside Hepingmen Gate (Peace Gate).
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: The Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Tiananmen Square, Lizexiang Pearl Store
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Traditional Mongolian Restaurant
- The Forbidden City (2.5 hours): The Forbidden City was home to 24 emperors between 1368 and 1911.This "city within a city" is a World Heritage Site, and is the largest and the best preserved ancient imperial architecture complex in the world, with great square, halls and gates contrast with intricate halls, gardens, courtyards and quarters. The exhibitions, both permanent and temporary, are all important treasures of ancient China.
- Temple of Heaven (1.5 hours): Built in 1420 during the Ming Dynasty, Temple of Heaven is a complex of Taoist buildings where emperors of Ming and Qing dynasties visited for annual ceremonies of pray for good harvests. Located in the south of Central Beijing, it covers an area of 273 hectares. Temple of Heaven was enrolled as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998.
- Tiananmen Square (50 minutes): Tian'anmen Square is the largest city square in the centre of Beijing, named after the Tiananmen (literally, Gate of Heavenly Peace) which sits to its north, separating it from the Forbidden City. It has great cultural significance as it was the site of several key events in Chinese history. As the world's largest city square and enduring symbol of China's national pride, it is surrounded by many imposing buildings including the Heavenly Gate (entry to the Forbidden City), Museums, government buildings and Chairman Mao's Mausoleum.
- Lizexiang Pearl Store : China's freshwater pearls are celebrated throughout the world. See how they are produced including some of the latest technology, and learn how to spot a fake. The outlet also offers a range of items produced from pearls and pearl oysters which goes far wider than jewellery. China Highlights customers will see the seeds being planted in the live mussel and also how learn how to differentiate real pearls from fake. This is a great opportunity to buy genuine pearls, that come with a guarantee, for your family and friends but there is absolutely no pressure to buy.
Address: No.7.Changqing Yuan, Congwen District,Beijign City.
- Traditional Mongolian Restaurant: Traditional Mongolian Restaurant is located near the Forbidden City. It serves northern Chinese food based on Mongolia cuisine. It brings Mongolia's long and distinguished cultural and literary history. A traditional Mongolian yurt (tent) is available on the third floor but a reservation is needed and a surcharge applies. Live performances of Mongolian music are sometimes preformed in the restaurant.
Place & Transport: Beijing to Zhengzhou, Train No. T151 (Beijing West Railway Station Railway Station - Zhengzhou Railway Station) Dep 14:23 - Arr 21:07
Today's Activities: Hutong Tour in Xicheng District, Hotel to Train station Transfer (Beijing), Train station Transfer (Zhengzhou)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Courtyard 7 Restaurant
- Hutong Tour in Xicheng District (1 hour): Hutong is a maze of historic alleyways with old single storey traditional courtyard houses, which are now fast disappearing. In this one hour tour, you can hop on a rickshaw to ride through the narrow alleys as well as visit a local family then walk on the Silver Ingot Bridge (Yinding Bridge) and find out about the different thresholds of the courtyards.
- Courtyard 7 Restaurant: Courtyard 7 is located in central area of Nan Luo Guo. Its well designed Chinese style modeling, the layout makes it antiquity and rusticity. Its special featured restaurant provides new modern French dishes. Seating in Courtyard 7, you may see the fusion of eastern and western culture, and smell apart of old and new fashion air. Here, you can not only taste delicious gourmet food, but also can enjoy a piece of pure land and haven in such a busy city. Courtyard 7 welcomes you stay and enjoy.
Place & Transport: Zhengzhou
Today's Activities: Yellow River Scenic Spot, Shang Dynasty Ruins
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Xingyuan Restaurant
- Yellow River Scenic Spot (1 hour): Yellow River, the cradle of Chinese culture. in the Yellow River Scenery Area, you can feel the majesty and immensity of the Chinese mother river
- Shang Dynasty Ruins (30 minutes): It lies in the Zhengzhou city with an area of 25 sq m. Today you still can see an ancient city wall as long as 7 km.
- Xingyuan Restaurant: Located in Xingyuan Hotel, the restaurant is decorated in Chinese style and mainly serves Yu and Yue cuisine.
Place & Transport: Zhengzhou to Luoyang
Today's Activities: Our guide and driver will escort you from Zhengzhou to Luoyang, Shaolin Temple and Pagoda Forest (including Shaolin Kungfu Show), Jades store
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Yongtaisi shaolin Vegetarian
- Shaolin Temple and Pagoda Forest (including Shaolin Kungfu Show) (3 hours): This temple is shrouded in legend and mystery. The origin of martial arts and kung fu is part of the mystique of Shaolin Temple and the Shaolin monks. This is probably the most famous temple in China, not only because of its long history and its role in Chinese Buddhism, but also because of its martial arts or Wushu. There is a theatre here which presents the famous Kungfu Show at 0930, 1030, 1130, 1400, 1500, and1600. It's best to get there early, as it is only a small theatre with about 200 seats.
- Jades store : The store showcases chinese jade products.It has become a popular spot for foreign tourists looking for authentic, quality products.
Address: The BeiHuan Road , dengfeng
- Yongtaisi shaolin Vegetarian : Located close to the Shaoling Temple, the Yongtai Nunnery serves Vegetarian food.
Accommodations: Jingan Peony Plaza Hotel New friendship Hotel Huayang Plaza Hotel
Place & Transport: Luoyang to Xian, Train No. K316/K317 (Luoyang Railway Station - Xian Railway Station) Dep 15:45 - Arr 20:54
Today's Activities: White Horse Temple, Longmen Grottoes, Hotel to Train station Transfer (Luoyang), Train station Transfer (Xian)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Zhenbutong Water Banquet
- White Horse Temple (30 minutes): Backed by Mangshan Mountain and facing the Luohe River, White Horse Temple lies about 20 kilometers to the east of Luoyang city, Henan province. Since White Horse Temple, Buddhism monasteries in China traditionally began to be called as 'temple'. White Horse Temple as a result was ever since regarded as the cradle land of Buddhism in China. In history, highly accomplished Buddhist monks from China, even world renowned Buddhist monks from abroad used to pay visits to White Horse Temple in pursuit of Buddhism inspirations and wisdom; it was thereby also called the 'Home of Sakyamuni' or the 'Court for Ancestors'.
- Longmen Grottoes (2.5 hours): 13 kilometers to the west of Luoyang, Longmen Grottoes is one of the four largest grottoes in China. Live cultural relics lie amid green mountains and serpentine rivers. As early as 1961, Longmen Grottoes had been authorized by the central government of PRC as a key national cultural relic protection unit. It was authorized in 1982 by central government as one of the 44 National Parks of China. In 2000, it was enlisted into the List of World Heritage.
- Zhenbutong Water Banquet : The restaurant was first built in late Qing Dynasty more than one hundred years ago. The building comprises five floors. The famous Luoyang Water Banquet fried dishes are served at the second floor.
Place & Transport: Xian
Today's Activities: Banpo Museum, The Terracotta Warriors and Horses, Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Chongde Handmade Pottery Factory
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Reallove Restaurant
- Banpo Museum (1 hour): Remains of a 6000 year old Neolithic community discovered in 1953. Today there are 2 exhibition halls, displaying items from the site such as stone tools, spinning wheels, pottery and daily living utensils. The third Site Hall (a bit over half an acre) demonstrates the residential, pottery making and burial sections of the village, including huts, kilns and tombs.
- The Terracotta Warriors and Horses (2 hours): Discovered accidentally in 1974, this incredible army of over 7000 soldiers, archers, horses and chariots in full battle array has guarded Emperor Qin's tomb since 210BC. Each figure is unique, and the painstaking repair and excavation continues in 3 pits which are protected inside huge hangars. 1.5 hours from Xian, there is also an excellent museum and film about the history of the vaults. Photos (no flash) are allowed. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Big Wild Goose Pagoda (1 hour): A major Buddhist site, the simple, elegant brick Pagoda stands in the grounds of the attractive Da Ci'en Temple. The Pagoda was built in the 7th century to house the Buddhist materials that Xuanzang (Tripitaka) brought back from his epic journey to India. The Temple complex has several large halls with some great Buddhist statues and murals.
- Chongde Handmade Pottery Factory: Chongde Handmade Pottery Factory manufactures copies of the famous Terra-cotta Warriors and Horses from Jing De porcelain. This is a popular place for those looking for special, quality souvenirs. China Highlights customers have the opportunity to see the manufacturing process but also try it with their own hands. This is an exclusive offer for our customers! There is no pressure to buy!
Address: No.2 East Chanhe bridge, Hua Qing Rd., Xian.
- Reallove Restaurant : Real Love Restaurant is located opposite the east gate of Small Wild Goose Pagoda and is one of the finest restaurants specializing in Shaanxi cuisine. It has become popular for its elegant environment and excellent service.
Place & Transport: Xian to Nanjing, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Shaanxi History Museum, Ancient City Wall, Hotel to airport Transfer (Xian), Airport Transfer (Nanjing)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Guohua Restaurant
- Shaanxi History Museum (1.5 hours): The history of Shaanxi is said to be the history of China, and this museum is quite simply one of the nation's best. Four major galleries in large, Tang-style buildings house a vast and impressive collection, beautifully displayed. Most of the item labels are in English, although some other information on the exhibitions is not, but your guide can help here. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Ancient City Wall (30 minutes): The walls, ramparts, gates and watchtowers form one of the oldest and most complete city defenses still around. Built in the 13th century on the foundations of the original Tang Forbidden City, it s surrounding the city centre. You can walk or pay extra cost to rent a bike (CNY40 per person), rickshaw (CNY45 per person for 45 minutes) or an electric cart (CNY40 per person) around the full 14km circuit, with great views of the city on either side. If the weather is not good for biking on the city wall, we will substitute a visit to the Bell Tower. Your guide will be very glad to take you the Bell Tower after you have been to look at the city wall.
- Guohua Restaurant: Located near Big Wild Goose Pagoda, the restaurant serves Cantonese food and is famous for its sea food. The restaurant is nicely decorated, and is a long established restaurant popular with the locals.
Place & Transport: Nanjing
Today's Activities: Zhonghua Gate, Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge, Confucius Temple, Qinhuai River
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Xianheng Restaurant
- Zhonghua Gate: Zhonghua Men Gate is the largest castle-style gate among the 13 ancient city gates in Nanjing. It's the best preserved and, architecturally, most complicated ancient castle in the world. The elaborately designed castle contains three closed courtyards and four arched gates serving as entrances to the city.
- Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge: This is the first bridge independently designed and constructed by the Chinese themselves. The bridge was added to the Guinness World Records as the world's longest bridge featuring the dual functions of a highway and a railway.
- Confucius Temple: The Confucius Temple (Fuzimiao) was built in the year 1034 and dedicated to worshiping the great philosopher Confucius. Many shops, restaurants and bars, have been included with the temple to make it a commercial and entertainment center combining rich culture and arts. The Dacheng Hall in Fuzimiao scenic area has is the largest figure of Confucius in China. The largest river in the city - Qin Huai River flow in front of the Confucius Temple
- Qinhuai River: The Qinhuai River is a watery slice of history which contains traces of the city's glorious past and activities of its people. The river bore witness to the many comedies and tragedies occurring in the notorious red-light area along its banks, during the Ming and Qing Dynasties.
- Xianheng Restaurant: The restaurant is located at Fuzi Temple, by the side of Qinhuai River. It serves Huaiyang Cuisine and local snacks.
|Nov.1 - Mar. 31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$2,119||$2,079||$2,129||$506/ $373/ $355|
|6-9 Persons||$1,799||$1,739||$1,799||$506/ $373/ $355|
|Apr.1 - Oct.31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$2,299||$2,139||$2,219||$636/ $396/ $405|
|6-9 Persons||$1,939||$1,799||$1,859||$636/ $396/ $405|
Tour Class Comparison (Demo for Beijing)
|Superior ( 5 Star )||Deluxe (4 Star)||Economy (4/3 Star)|
|Crowne Plaza Beijing||Sunworld Hotel||Days Inn Forbidden City|
Hotels We Selected for This Tour
|City||Superior Class||Deluxe Class||Tourist Class|
|Beijing||Crowne Plaza Hotel Beijing Chaoyang U-Town||Sunworld Hotel Beijing||Days Inn Forbidden City Hotel Beijing|
|Zhengzhou||Sofitel Zhengzhou International||Holiday Inn Zhengzhou||Civil Aviation Hotel|
|Luoyang||Huayang Plaza Hotel||Jingan Peony Plaza Hotel||New friendship Hotel|
|Xian||Sofitel on Renmin Square Xian||Grand Noble Hotel||Xian Skytel Hotel|
|Nanjing||Xuanwu Hotel Nanjing||New Era Hotel Nanjing||Orange Hotel Nanjing Confucian Temple|
Excellent Local Guides
We selected the most experienced tour guides in each city. They are all very professional and flexible during the tour with oustanding knowledge of all the sites and history.
Our Luxury Car for Families
We use the modern air-conditioned luxury cars for families or 2-3 persons. The comfort and safety of our customers is of utmost importance, so we ensure that all of the vehicles that we use are well-maintained and always very clean.
Comfortable People Carrier for Small Groups
We use only air-conditioned small buses for small groups of 4-7 persons. Our drivers are very nice and careful with over 5-year drive experience.
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
- Phone Rental Package:
Rental cost for the cell phone and SIM card for use in mainland China, and at least 30 mins of FREE international calls.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Beijing, Zhengzhou, Luoyang, Xian, Nanjing by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
Beijing West To Zhengzhou Transfer via: Train, T151 (Our arrangements)
Luoyang To Xian Transfer via: Train, K316/K317 (Our arrangements)
Xian To Nanjing Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Nanjing To Beijing Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
- Airport Tax for Domestic Flights
Airport Tax and Fuel Fee for Flights if applicable
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports/railway stations and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
USA-CHINA/CHINA-USA: China Highlights has negotiated special discount fares (restrictions apply) for selected flights operated by Air China from major US and China gateways. We are able to offer these special deals to confirmed customers. Discount US to China Flights
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carryon baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm. More
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.