Tour Itinerary of Shanghai and Her Amazing Neighbours
8-Day Shanghai, Suzhou, Huangshan and Hangzhou Tour (CHT-107)
Shanghai, the thriving mega city is surrounded by some of the best scenery and magnificent examples of Ancient Chinese culture. A few hours will get us to the spectacular Yellow Mountains and the elegant and stunning classical beauty of Suzhou and Hangzhou. This tour has it all.
- Tour Summary
- Full Itinerary
Place & Transport: Arrive in Shanghai, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Shanghai), A Free CH cell phone package (one cell phone for one group)
- A Free CH cell phone package (one cell phone for one group):
A Free CH cell phone package (one cell phone for one group) includes free rental for the cell phone and SIM card (Includes prepaid value of CNY 50), delivery and collection in China. Return the phone to your guide when you depart. For more about the cell phone rental service, please click cell phone rental information.China Highlights also provides a Wi-Fi package so that you can connect to the internet in China anytime and anywhere. Our 3G service provides speeds of up to 21Mbps on your smart phone, pad or laptop, so you can stay in contact. For more detail please visit Wi-Fi rental information .
Place & Transport: Shanghai
Today's Activities: Yuyuan Garden, The Bund, Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall, The Shanghai World Financial Center
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Home's Restaurant
- Yuyuan Garden (1 hour): Yuyuan Garden is located in the center of Shanghai old quarters. It was a private garden built in 1559 during the Ming Dynasty, with typical Chinese classic architecture and style. The complex covers an area of 2 hectares, with rockeries, pavilions, ponds and corridors. Yuyuan Garden is surrounding by a busy market place, where visitors can find everything from popular local snacks, handicrafts, antiques and souvenirs to some famous time-honored restaurants.
- The Bund (40 minutes): This 1.5-kilometer-long embankment runs along the western bank of Huangpu River. On its west side it is the "architecture gallery" with 52 well-preserved old European style buildings. Once the major trading and commercial center of old Shanghai, the Bund has now taken on new vitality, with futuristic developments, chic restaurants, top end shops and bars offer plenty to see and do-and by night it's magic!
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (1 hour): A short walk across Renmin Square from the Shanghai Museum, this is a fascinating insight into Shanghai's future. The 2nd floor has a giant walkaround model of the city, and other floors have great displays, interactive exhibitions and walkthroughs of aspects such as the ports, greening, leisure etc.
- The Shanghai World Financial Center (40 minutes): Shanghai World Financial Center is located in Pudong District, reaching a height of 492 meters (1,615 feet). It is now a new landmark of prosperous Shanghai. It was the second tallest building in the world when it was completed in 2007. Its observation deck, at 474 meters (1,555 feet) above the ground, is currently the tallest in the world. The multi-function skyscraper consists of hotels, apartments, restaurants, shopping malls, offices and observation decks.
- Home's Restaurant: Home's Restaurant is located near the Nanjing Road. It specializes in Shanghai cuisine using the best local ingredients. Smoked fish and red jujube with sticky rice are well known in Shanghai. The restaurant enjoys a great reputation with diners from many parts of China and abroad.
Place & Transport: Shanghai to Suzhou
Today's Activities: Our guide and driver will escort you from Shanghai to Suzhou, Tongli, Tongli Cruise
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Tongli Nanyuan Tea House
- Tongli: Tongli town has a history of more than one thousand years. There are over hundreds of gardens established in Ming dynasty and Qing dynasty, temples, cartilages and former residence of eminent souls. Fifteen rivers divide the town into seven islands and fortynine sets of historic bridges connect the town as a whole.
- Tongli Cruise (30 minutes): Tongli Cruise is the best way to experience this water town.
- Tongli Nanyuan Tea House: The Tea House was build with traditional brick. The wooden facade is decorated in the Qing Dynasty style, and there are two floors with a total area of about 400 square meters. Tea House serves many types of tea including black teas, green teas, scented teas. The tea house also provides smoked green beans, dried carrots and other refreshments. Patrons are entertained by traditional performances..
Place & Transport: Suzhou to Overnight train, Train No. K8418/K8419 (Suzhou Railway Station - Huangshan Railway Station) Dep 22:17 - Arr 09:00
Today's Activities: Humble Administrators Garden, The Grand Canal(Cruising by Motor Boat), Rickshaw ride, Hotel to Train station Transfer (Suzhou)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Pine and Crane Restaurant
- Humble Administrators Garden (1.5 hours): The garden is the best representative of Chinese classical gardens, constructed in the Ming dynasty, which focuses on a central pond with pavilions, terraces, chambers, and towers located nearby, the garden is divided into three parts: the eastern, middle and western parts. At 5 hectares the largest of these beautiful gardens, it is one of the most famous one. It provides everyone with pleasure. Don't miss the Garden Museum - actually don't miss any of these lovely places. Tourists may wear comfortable shoes, as there's a lot of walking here.
- The Grand Canal(Cruising by Motor Boat) (40 minutes): The Grand Canal ranks alongside the Great Wall of China as the country's greatest engineering achievement and it is the longest man-made waterway in the world.Cruising on the Canal(about 30-40 minutes), you can see the local peoples' life. Known as the land of rice and fish, Suzhou city has a network of picturesque lakes and canals both large and small, which all link in eventually to the Grand Canal. The view from the little boats that ply the smaller canals is enchanting, whilst the traffic on the Grand Canal reminds you of Suzhou that it was the original source of the 'sea' silk road.
- Rickshaw ride (1.5 hours): Through the old streets & Hutongs in Suzhou, you will see local people's life.
- Pine and Crane Restaurant: The Pine and Crane Restaurant is located in the bustling hub of Suzhou City. Originally dating back to 1780, the Pine and Crane Restaurant has undergone plenty changes, history-wise and cuisine-wise. It boasts for the richly tastful Su-style cuisine and offers Suzhou tour makers a feast of both taste buds and eyes.
Place & Transport: Overnight train to Huangshan
Today's Activities: Train station Transfer (Huangshan), The Yellow Mountains, Yungu Cable Car, Huizhou Culture Museum
Meals: Chinese Lunch
- The Yellow Mountains (6 hours): Located in the south of Anhui Province, with an area of about 1,200 square kilometers, known as "the loveliest mountain in China",famous for magnificent scenery whatever the season: granite peaks piercing the clouds, strangely shaped rocks and gnarled trees, hot springs, waterfalls, wonderful outlooks and over 1500 plant species. No traffic within the core area of about 150 square kilometres, accessible by cable car or on foot. Many enticing walks of all grades, all include some steps.
- Yungu Cable Car (10 minutes): You can enjoy the scenery along the way as you ascend or descend the Yellow Mountain by cable car.
- Huizhou Culture Museum: Located at the south side of Tunxi aiport Yingbin Avenue and adjacent to Hui-hang high way entrance, Huizhou culture museum covers a land area of 10.4 hectares and an architecture area of 1.4 hectares. With more than 100000 historical relics varying from ancient ceramics and pottery, ink stone, Huizhou ink stick ,paintings ,calligraphy, carvings in stone ,brick and wood, bronze ware, jade and old local books and documents to some others, Huizhou culture museum fully bring forth the feature of local culture.
Place & Transport: Huangshan to Hangzhou,
Today's Activities: Yungu Cable Car, Hongcun Village, Xidi Village, Hotel to bus station Transfer (Huangshan), Express bus station transfer (Hangzhou)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Leigang villa
- Yungu Cable Car (10 minutes): You can enjoy the scenery along the way as you ascend or descend the Yellow Mountain by cable car.
- Hongcun Village (1.5 hours): It's located about 10 kilometers off the northeast part of Yixian County. An ancient village over 800 years old leaning against Mt. Huangshan, it is folded in the fog of the Mt Huangshan, which makes it look like a natural landscape painting. Parts of the famous film "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon" were made here.
Surrounded by a picturesque moat with bridges to the village and a half-moon shaped pond in the centre, it is a favourite haunt of artists and students who often stay with local families to paint here. Laid out to represent a buffalo, it is one of the prettiest places in the area, known as the Chinese town in the pictures and has been listed by UNESCO for its beauty and largely undeveloped traditional streets and houses. Various halls, dwellings and an old school are open to visitors.
- Xidi Village (1.5 hours): Xidi(the World Cultural Heritage site)is located at the foot of Mt. Huangshan. It's 54 kilometers away from Huangshan City. First built 900 years ago in the Song Dynasty , its traditional architecture is well preserved. The buildings and the street patterns, reflect the socio-economic structure of an enduring period of Chinese history. Don't miss the magnificent memorial archway.
- Leigang villa: Located on the top of the Leigang hill, Leigang Villa restaurant serves local style Chinese food. Lunch is served in a beautiful environment with pleasant scenery, as the restaurant is surrounded by a forest of bamboo and peach trees. The restaurant has a bird's eye view of Hongcun village.
Place & Transport: Hangzhou to Shanghai, Train No. G7326 (Hangzhou Railway Station) Dep 19:00 - Arr 20:01
Today's Activities: Lingyin Temple, The West Lake(including the Island on the lake), Hotel to Train station Transfer (Hangzhou), Train station Transfer (Shanghai)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Louwailou Resturant
- Lingyin Temple (2 hours): As one of the most important and wealthiest Buddhist temples in China, Lingyin Temple boasts plenty of pagodas and Buddhist grottoes.
During the Eastern Jin Dynasty in 328 AD, Hui Li, a monk from India brought Buddhism to this area and founded this temple. At that time, nine multi-storey buildings, 8 pavilions, 72 halls and more than 1,300 dormitory rooms had made up this temple, and it was the national worship center.
Located in front of the temple proper, Feilai Feng (Flying Peak) is an outstanding Buddhist grotto site, in which are engraved numerous Buddha images. Legend has it the peak was originally from India, and flew to Hangzhou overnight as a demonstration of the omnipotence of Buddhist law.
Other attractions include Hall of the Heavenly Kings, Grand Hall of the Great Sage, Hall of the Medicine Buddha, Sutra Library, and Hall of the Five Hundred Arhats.
- The West Lake(including the Island on the lake) (1 hour): West Lake has an area of 5.6 square kilometers (2.2 square miles) and is the symbol of Hangzhou which lies on its banks and is a place of tranquility. A visit to Fairy Island is worth it to see on of the Ten Best Views of West Lake - Three Pools Mirroring the Moon. The occasional pagoda and Chinese-style arched bridges add atmosphere to the tree-lined walkways, verdant islands and hills make West Lake a very special part of any China experience.
- Louwailou Resturant: Louwailou is a famous restaurant located nearby West Lake and has a long history of more than 150 years. The restaurant specializes in Hangzhou cuisine and it is well known for West lake vinegar fish and Braised Dongpo Pork.
Place & Transport: Depart Shanghai, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Shanghai)
Excellent Local Guides
We selected the most experienced tour guides in each city. They are all very professional and flexible during the tour with oustanding knowledge of all the sites and history.
Our Luxury Car for Families
We use the modern air-conditioned luxury cars for families or 2-3 persons. The comfort and safety of our customers is of utmost importance, so we ensure that all of the vehicles that we use are well-maintained and always very clean.
Comfortable People Carrier for Small Groups
We use only air-conditioned small buses for small groups of 4-7 persons. Our drivers are very nice and careful with over 5-year drive experience.
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
- Phone Rental Package:
Rental cost for the cell phone and SIM card for use in mainland China, and at least 30 mins of FREE international calls.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Shanghai, Suzhou, Yellow Mountain, Hangzhou by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
Shanghai To Suzhou Transfer via: Train, D444 (Our arrangements)
Suzhou To Huangshan Transfer via: Train, N418/N419 (Our arrangements)
Yellow Mountain To Hangzhou Transfer via: Bus, (Our arrangements)
Hangzhou To Shanghai South Transfer via: Train, D680 (Our arrangements)
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports/railway stations and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
USA-CHINA/CHINA-USA: China Highlights has negotiated special discount fares (restrictions apply) for selected flights operated by Air China from major US and China gateways. We are able to offer these special deals to confirmed customers. Discount US to China Flights
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carryon baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm. More
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.