Tour Itinerary of Jewels of China Tour
13-Day Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou, Guilin, Yangshuo and Hong Kong Tour (CHT-63C)
Jewels of yesterday and today; The Great Wall, the Forbidden City and Terra-cotta Warriors in Xian, all that Shanghai has to offer and then the many beautiful classical gardens in Suzhou & Hangzhou, the beautiful natural scenery in Guilin and finally - Hong Kong "The Pearl of the Orient".
- Tour Summary
- Full Itinerary
Place & Transport: Arrive in Beijing, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Beijing), A Free CH cell phone package (one cell phone for one group)
- A Free CH cell phone package (one cell phone for one group):
A Free CH cell phone package (one cell phone for one group) includes free rental for the cell phone and SIM card (Includes prepaid value of CNY 50), delivery and collection in China. Return the phone to your guide when you depart. For more about the cell phone rental service, please click cell phone rental information.China Highlights also provides a Wi-Fi package so that you can connect to the internet in China anytime and anywhere. Our 3G service provides speeds of up to 21Mbps on your smart phone, pad or laptop, so you can stay in contact. For more detail please visit Wi-Fi rental information .
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: Tiananmen Square, The Forbidden City, Treasure Houses, Hutong Tour in Xicheng District
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Jing Mian Da Wang Restaurant (Di'anmen Branch)
- Tiananmen Square (50 minutes): Tian'anmen Square is the largest city square in the centre of Beijing, named after the Tiananmen (literally, Gate of Heavenly Peace) which sits to its north, separating it from the Forbidden City. It has great cultural significance as it was the site of several key events in Chinese history. As the world's largest city square and enduring symbol of China's national pride, it is surrounded by many imposing buildings including the Heavenly Gate (entry to the Forbidden City), Museums, government buildings and Chairman Mao's Mausoleum.
- The Forbidden City (2.5 hours): The Forbidden City was home to 24 emperors between 1368 and 1911.This "city within a city" is a World Heritage Site, and is the largest and the best preserved ancient imperial architecture complex in the world, with great square, halls and gates contrast with intricate halls, gardens, courtyards and quarters. The exhibitions, both permanent and temporary, are all important treasures of ancient China.
- Treasure Houses (30 minutes): Treasure house has undergone 4 time renovations, the present one takes up almost 220 square metres, more than 440 treasures on display belonged to Qing dynasty royalty, half of which have not never been on display in the old one. It's worthy of visiting.
- Hutong Tour in Xicheng District (1 hour): Hutong is a maze of historic alleyways with old single storey traditional courtyard houses, which are now fast disappearing. In this one hour tour, you can hop on a rickshaw to ride through the narrow alleys as well as visit a local family then walk on the Silver Ingot Bridge (Yinding Bridge) and find out about the different thresholds of the courtyards.
- Jing Mian Da Wang Restaurant (Di'anmen Branch): This restaurant of typical Chinese style, it serves authentic dishes of Old Beijing fare - hand-pulled noodles, cold dishes, snack foods and more. Having the taste of the tasty noodles, usually eaten with a thick sesame and soy-based sauce.
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: Temple of Heaven, The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant
- Temple of Heaven (1.5 hours): Built in 1420 during the Ming Dynasty, Temple of Heaven is a complex of Taoist buildings where emperors of Ming and Qing dynasties visited for annual ceremonies of pray for good harvests. Located in the south of Central Beijing, it covers an area of 273 hectares. Temple of Heaven was enrolled as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998.
- The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car) (2 hours): This less-crowded section of the Great Wall is a about 2.5 hours' drive from downtown Beijing. A cable car takes you to a good section (avoiding a very steep climb), where you can walk along the wall, through the watch towers and enjoy superb views as it snakes across the hills and mountains. You can return by cable car, walk down or walk along the wall for about an hour to descend by chairlift. Wear good walking shoes and protection from the weather.
- Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant: Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant is near Great Wall of Mutianyu section. This garden style restaurant serves farmhouse dishes, specializing in rainbow trout, sturgeon and salmon. The fabulous taste will leave you with great memories.
Place & Transport: Beijing to Xian, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Summer Palace with boat Cruise and the Garden of Virtue and Harmony, Exterior visit of Beijing Olympic Stadiums(Bird's Nest and Water Cube), Hotel to airport Transfer (Beijing), Airport Transfer (Xian)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Beijing Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant
- Summer Palace with boat Cruise and the Garden of Virtue and Harmony (2 hours): The palace is about 12 kilometers northwest of the city center and is equally as famous as the Forbidden City, the Summer Palace is called 'Yiheyuan'(Garden of Nurtured Harmony) in Chinese. It is the best preserved and the largest imperial gardens in China and one of Beijing's premier attractions. It is also possible to cruise on the lake which takes 10 minutes by the ferry boat.
- Exterior visit of Beijing Olympic Stadiums(Bird's Nest and Water Cube) (1 hour): Located at the north end of the central axis of Beijing City, with a large area of 1215 hectares, it contains National museum, exhibition area, Olympic Village and Olympic competition avenues. Approximately 31 venues are used in Beijing Olympics, including National Stadium, the Bird's Nest and National Aquatics Center. You will explore the park, but it doesn't include going inside the Bird's Nest and Water Cube.
- Beijing Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant: Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant is located near Summer Palace in Haidian District. It serves authentic Sichuan cuisine with its traditional Chinese style decor. Recommended dishes include sweet and sour fish, fried pork with celery and Kungpao Chicken.
Place & Transport: Xian
Today's Activities: The Terracotta Warriors and Horses, Big Wild Goose Pagoda
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant(Qinling Branch)
- The Terracotta Warriors and Horses (2 hours): Discovered accidentally in 1974, this incredible army of over 7000 soldiers, archers, horses and chariots in full battle array has guarded Emperor Qin's tomb since 210BC. Each figure is unique, and the painstaking repair and excavation continues in 3 pits which are protected inside huge hangars. 1.5 hours from Xian, there is also an excellent museum and film about the history of the vaults. Photos (no flash) are allowed. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Big Wild Goose Pagoda (1 hour): A major Buddhist site, the simple, elegant brick Pagoda stands in the grounds of the attractive Da Ci'en Temple. The Pagoda was built in the 7th century to house the Buddhist materials that Xuanzang (Tripitaka) brought back from his epic journey to India. The Temple complex has several large halls with some great Buddhist statues and murals.
- A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant(Qinling Branch): A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant was established in 2004, mainly specializes in Hunan and Sichuan cuisine. It provides delicacy by using the material from Shanxi, obtaining a nationwide reputation from customers. It would be a nice choice to dine while traveling the nearby Terra cotta Warriors and Horses.
Place & Transport: Xian to Shanghai, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Shaanxi History Museum, Xian City Wall with Bicycle, Hotel to airport Transfer (Xian), Airport Transfer (Shanghai)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Reallove Restaurant
- Shaanxi History Museum (1.5 hours): The history of Shaanxi is said to be the history of China, and this museum is quite simply one of the nation's best. Four major galleries in large, Tang-style buildings house a vast and impressive collection, beautifully displayed. Most of the item labels are in English, although some other information on the exhibitions is not, but your guide can help here. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Xian City Wall with Bicycle (1.5 hours): The walls, ramparts, gates and watchtowers form one of the oldest and most complete city defenses still around. Built in the 13th century on the foundations of the original Tang Forbidden City surrounding the city centre, it is a major landmark, and the best preserved, as well as the oldest and largest of the city defense systems in China. We operate this with bicycle. If the weather is not good for biking on the city wall, we will substitute a visit to the Bell Tower. Your guide will be very glad to take you the Bell Tower after you have been to look at the city wall.
- Reallove Restaurant : Real Love Restaurant is located opposite the east gate of Small Wild Goose Pagoda and is one of the finest restaurants specializing in Shaanxi cuisine. It has become popular for its elegant environment and excellent service.
Place & Transport: Shanghai
Today's Activities: Yuyuan Garden, The Bund, The Shanghai World Financial Center, Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Home's Restaurant
- Yuyuan Garden (1 hour): Yuyuan Garden is located in the center of Shanghai old quarters. It was a private garden built in 1559 during the Ming Dynasty, with typical Chinese classic architecture and style. The complex covers an area of 2 hectares, with rockeries, pavilions, ponds and corridors. Yuyuan Garden is surrounding by a busy market place, where visitors can find everything from popular local snacks, handicrafts, antiques and souvenirs to some famous time-honored restaurants.
- The Bund (40 minutes): This 1.5-kilometer-long embankment runs along the western bank of Huangpu River. On its west side it is the "architecture gallery" with 52 well-preserved old European style buildings. Once the major trading and commercial center of old Shanghai, the Bund has now taken on new vitality, with futuristic developments, chic restaurants, top end shops and bars offer plenty to see and do-and by night it's magic!
- The Shanghai World Financial Center (40 minutes): Shanghai World Financial Center is located in Pudong District, reaching a height of 492 meters (1,615 feet). It is now a new landmark of prosperous Shanghai. It was the second tallest building in the world when it was completed in 2007. Its observation deck, at 474 meters (1,555 feet) above the ground, is currently the tallest in the world. The multi-function skyscraper consists of hotels, apartments, restaurants, shopping malls, offices and observation decks.
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (1 hour): A short walk across Renmin Square from the Shanghai Museum, this offers a fascinating insight into Shanghai's future. The 2nd floor has a giant walkaround model of the city, and other floors have great displays and interactive exhibitions.
- Home's Restaurant: Home's Restaurant is located near the Nanjing Road. It specializes in Shanghai cuisine using the best local ingredients. Smoked fish and red jujube with sticky rice are well known in Shanghai. The restaurant enjoys a great reputation with diners from many parts of China and abroad.
Place & Transport: Shanghai to Suzhou
Today's Activities: Our guide and driver will escort you from Shanghai to Suzhou, Humble Administrators Garden, The Grand Canal(Cruising by Motor Boat), Rickshaw ride
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Pine and Crane Restaurant
- Humble Administrators Garden (1.5 hours): The garden is the best representative of Chinese classical gardens, constructed in the Ming dynasty, which focuses on a central pond with pavilions, terraces, chambers, and towers located nearby, the garden is divided into three parts: the eastern, middle and western parts. At 5 hectares the largest of these beautiful gardens, it is one of the most famous one. It provides everyone with pleasure. Don't miss the Garden Museum - actually don't miss any of these lovely places. Tourists may wear comfortable shoes, as there's a lot of walking here.
- The Grand Canal(Cruising by Motor Boat) (40 minutes): The Grand Canal ranks alongside the Great Wall of China as the country's greatest engineering achievement and it is the longest man-made waterway in the world.Cruising on the Canal(about 30-40 minutes), you can see the local peoples' life. Known as the land of rice and fish, Suzhou city has a network of picturesque lakes and canals both large and small, which all link in eventually to the Grand Canal. The view from the little boats that ply the smaller canals is enchanting, whilst the traffic on the Grand Canal reminds you of Suzhou that it was the original source of the 'sea' silk road.
- Rickshaw ride (1.5 hours): Through the old streets & Hutongs in Suzhou, you will see local people's life.
- Pine and Crane Restaurant: The Pine and Crane Restaurant is located in the bustling hub of Suzhou City. Originally dating back to 1780, the Pine and Crane Restaurant has undergone plenty changes, history-wise and cuisine-wise. It boasts for the richly tastful Su-style cuisine and offers Suzhou tour makers a feast of both taste buds and eyes.
Place & Transport: Suzhou to Hangzhou, Train No. D5657 (Shanghai South Railway Station - Hangzhou Railway Station) Dep 09:30 - Arr 10:48
Today's Activities: Hotel to Train station Transfer (Suzhou), Train station Transfer (Hangzhou), Lingyin Temple
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Zhang Sheng Ji Restaurant
- Lingyin Temple (2 hours): As one of the most important and wealthiest Buddhist temples in China, Lingyin Temple boasts plenty of pagodas and Buddhist grottoes.
During the Eastern Jin Dynasty in 328 AD, Hui Li, a monk from India brought Buddhism to this area and founded this temple. At that time, nine multi-storey buildings, 8 pavilions, 72 halls and more than 1,300 dormitory rooms had made up this temple, and it was the national worship center.
Located in front of the temple proper, Feilai Feng (Flying Peak) is an outstanding Buddhist grotto site, in which are engraved numerous Buddha images. Legend has it the peak was originally from India, and flew to Hangzhou overnight as a demonstration of the omnipotence of Buddhist law.
Other attractions include Hall of the Heavenly Kings, Grand Hall of the Great Sage, Hall of the Medicine Buddha, Sutra Library, and Hall of the Five Hundred Arhats.
- Zhang Sheng Ji Restaurant : Zhang Sheng Ji is a popular old Hangzhou restaurant whose philosophy is that food doesn't have to be fancy or use exotic ingredients to be delicious. Duck casserole and West Lake vinegar fish are the first dishes that come to mind for most people when Zhang Sheng Ji is mentioned.
Place & Transport: Hangzhou to Guilin, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: The West Lake(including the Island on the lake), Hotel to airport Transfer (Hangzhou), Airport Transfer (Guilin)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Louwailou Resturant
- The West Lake(including the Island on the lake) (1 hour): West Lake has an area of 5.6 square kilometers (2.2 square miles) and is the symbol of Hangzhou which lies on its banks and is a place of tranquility. A visit to Fairy Island is worth it to see on of the Ten Best Views of West Lake - Three Pools Mirroring the Moon. The occasional pagoda and Chinese-style arched bridges add atmosphere to the tree-lined walkways, verdant islands and hills make West Lake a very special part of any China experience.
- Louwailou Resturant: Louwailou is a famous restaurant located nearby West Lake and has a long history of more than 150 years. The restaurant specializes in Hangzhou cuisine and it is well known for West lake vinegar fish and Braised Dongpo Pork.
Place & Transport: Guilin
Today's Activities: Reed Flute Cave, Fubo Hill, Elephant Trunk Hill
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at McFound Restaurant
- Reed Flute Cave (1 hour): Located 5 kilometers northwest of Guilin city, the Reed Flute Cave gets the name from the reeds used for making flutes and pipes that grow at its entrance. The cave is regarded as the largest and most impressive cave in Guilin. It is 240 meters long, and the length of the tour is about 550 meters offering a magic land of stalactites, stalagmites, stone pillars, stone curtains, birds, plants and animals in fantastic shapes and colors. The visit lasts for 40 minutes and there are a lot of steps. Watch your step as the lights are dim. You guide will show you by electric torch.
- Fubo Hill: Fubo Hill is on the west bank of the Li River in the city center. Partially submerged in the river it was named after General Fubo of the Tang Dynasty who built Mayuan Temple on the hill. Because of its location and height, Fubo Hill can tame the waves and stop the surging waters which then form whirlpools. It is 213 meters above sea level and 62 meters above ground level. There are almost 350 steps to climb to reach top of hill and but then you can enjoy a birds eye view of Guilin city.
- Elephant Trunk Hill (40 minutes): Elephant Trunk Hill is located at the junction of Li River and Peach Blossom River. It is the symbol of Guilin with 55 meters high and got its name because its shape resembles an elephant with its trunk drinking from the Li River. The hill is pierced with many caves and topped with a small pagoda.
- McFound Restaurant: A restaurant which decorated in traditional northern style, with wheaten food of full aroma and household atmosphere of authentic culture, is warmly welcome for customers.
Place & Transport: Guilin to Yangshuo (Watch the Video )
Today's Activities: Li River Cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo., Yangshuo Countryside Cycling
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Li River Cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo. (4 hours): A cruise along the Li River between Guilin and Yangshuo is an unforgettable experience. As you take in the stunning scenery, there's something interesting to see at almost every bend in the river. Between spectacular limestone peaks you'll see graceful bamboo groves, farmers tending rice paddies, and lumbering water buffaloes pulling carts or cooling off in the river. You may see fishermen gliding along on their narrow bamboo rafts, and if you're very lucky you might see one of the famous fishing cormorants. Boats depart from various wharves, according to the height of the river at different times of the year.The Li river cruise is by a medium size boat which can accommodate about 140 passengers.
- Yangshuo Countryside Cycling: Experience the hustle & bustle of the Yangshuo traffic for 10 minutes before you escape onto the country roads, lanes and tracks of the distinctive and beautiful Yangshuo countryside. Biking alongside the paddy field and orchards that surround the famous mountains will give a fascinating insight into life in rural China. You will have a family visit on the half way. It is an opportunity to see a real country life and talk to the local farmers.
Place & Transport: Yangshuo to Guilin to Hong Kong, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Guilin)
Excellent Local Guides
We selected the most experienced tour guides in each city. They are all very professional and flexible during the tour with oustanding knowledge of all the sites and history.
Our Luxury Car for Families
We use the modern air-conditioned luxury cars for families or 2-3 persons. The comfort and safety of our customers is of utmost importance, so we ensure that all of the vehicles that we use are well-maintained and always very clean.
Comfortable People Carrier for Small Groups
We use only air-conditioned small buses for small groups of 4-7 persons. Our drivers are very nice and careful with over 5-year drive experience.
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
- Phone Rental Package:
Rental cost for the cell phone and SIM card for use in mainland China, and at least 30 mins of FREE international calls.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou, Guilin, Hong Kong by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
Beijing To Xian Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Xian To Shanghai Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Suzhou To Hangzhou Transfer via: Train, D5475 (Our arrangements)
Hangzhou To Guilin Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Guilin To Hong Kong Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
- Airport Tax for Domestic Flights
Airport Tax and Fuel Fee for Flights if applicable
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports/railway stations and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
USA-CHINA/CHINA-USA: China Highlights has negotiated special discount fares (restrictions apply) for selected flights operated by Air China from major US and China gateways. We are able to offer these special deals to confirmed customers. Discount US to China Flights
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carryon baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm. More
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.