Tour Itinerary of China West Experience
12-Day Beijing, Xian, Kunming, Dali, Lijiang and Guilin Tour (CHT-63E)
After fabulous Beijing we take off for China's amazing west. First Xi'an - The Entombed Warriors, Gateway to the Silk Road and capital of Ancient China. Then on to something completely different; Lijiang and Guilin where you will be amazed by the beauty that mother nature has created.
- Tour Summary
- Full Itinerary
Place & Transport: Arrive in Beijing, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Beijing), A Free CH cell phone package
- A Free CH cell phone package:
A Free CH cell phone package includes free rental for the cell phone and SIM card (Includes prepaid value of CNY 50), delivery and collection in China. Return the phone to your guide when you depart. For more about the cell phone rental service, please click cell phone rental information.China Highlights also provides a Wi-Fi package so that you can connect to the internet in China anytime and anywhere. Our 3G service provides speeds of up to 21Mbps on your smart phone, pad or laptop, so you can stay in contact. For more detail please visit Wi-Fi rental information .
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car), Cloisonne Factory
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant, Chinese Dinner at Qianmen Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant
- The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car) (2 hours): This less-crowded section of the Great Wall is a about 2.5 hours' drive from downtown Beijing. A cable car takes you to a good section (avoiding a very steep climb), where you can walk along the wall, through the watch towers and enjoy superb views as it snakes across the hills and mountains. You can return by cable car, walk down or walk along the wall for about an hour to descend by chairlift. Wear good walking shoes and protection from the weather.
- Cloisonne Factory: Cloisonne is an intricate and detailed process, dating back over 700 years, to produce fine enamel on a copper base. You can watch the workers at all stages of the process to see how these beautiful objects are produced. There's a showroom attached for those who would like a souvenir of the visit, big or small, and all objects are guaranteed. This is a popular place for those looking for special, quality souvenirs. China Highlights customers have the opportunity to see the manufacturing process. This is an exclusive offer for our customers! There is no pressure to buy!
Address: No.488, Wujia village, Huanrou town, Beijing City
- Qianmen Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant: In the evening, enjoy Peking Roasted Duck which is renowned as the most delicious food of Beijing at Qianmen Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant(Old Duck). As the nickname implies, this is one of the oldest restaurants in the capital, dating back to 1864, and they serve great Peking duck.
- Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant: Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant is near Great Wall of Mutianyu section. This garden style restaurant serves farmhouse dishes, specializing in rainbow trout, sturgeon and salmon. The fabulous taste will leave you with great memories.
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: The Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Tiananmen Square, Lizexiang Pearl Store
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Traditional Mongolian Restaurant
- The Forbidden City (2.5 hours): The Forbidden City was home to 24 emperors between 1368 and 1911.This "city within a city" is a World Heritage Site, and is the largest and the best preserved ancient imperial architecture complex in the world, with great square, halls and gates contrast with intricate halls, gardens, courtyards and quarters. The exhibitions, both permanent and temporary, are all important treasures of ancient China.
- Temple of Heaven (1.5 hours): Built in 1420 during the Ming Dynasty, Temple of Heaven is a complex of Taoist buildings where emperors of Ming and Qing dynasties visited for annual ceremonies of pray for good harvests. Located in the south of Central Beijing, it covers an area of 273 hectares. Temple of Heaven was enrolled as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998.
- Tiananmen Square (50 minutes): Tian'anmen Square is the largest city square in the centre of Beijing, named after the Tiananmen (literally, Gate of Heavenly Peace) which sits to its north, separating it from the Forbidden City. It has great cultural significance as it was the site of several key events in Chinese history. As the world's largest city square and enduring symbol of China's national pride, it is surrounded by many imposing buildings including the Heavenly Gate (entry to the Forbidden City), Museums, government buildings and Chairman Mao's Mausoleum.
- Lizexiang Pearl Store : China's freshwater pearls are celebrated throughout the world. See how they are produced including some of the latest technology, and learn how to spot a fake. The outlet also offers a range of items produced from pearls and pearl oysters which goes far wider than jewellery. China Highlights customers will see the seeds being planted in the live mussel and also how learn how to differentiate real pearls from fake. This is a great opportunity to buy genuine pearls, that come with a guarantee, for your family and friends but there is absolutely no pressure to buy.
Address: No.7.Changqing Yuan, Congwen District,Beijign City.
- Traditional Mongolian Restaurant: Traditional Mongolian Restaurant is located near the Forbidden City. It serves northern Chinese food based on Mongolia cuisine. It brings Mongolia's long and distinguished cultural and literary history. A traditional Mongolian yurt (tent) is available on the third floor but a reservation is needed and a surcharge applies. Live performances of Mongolian music are sometimes preformed in the restaurant.
Place & Transport: Beijing to Xian, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Beijing), Airport Transfer (Xian), Shaanxi History Museum, Xian City Wall with Bicycle
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Yue Zhen Xuan Restaurant (Hanguang Branch)
- Shaanxi History Museum (1.5 hours): The history of Shaanxi is said to be the history of China, and this museum is quite simply one of the nation's best. Four major galleries in large, Tang-style buildings house a vast and impressive collection, beautifully displayed. Most of the item labels are in English, although some other information on the exhibitions is not, but your guide can help here. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Xian City Wall with Bicycle (1.5 hours): The walls, ramparts, gates and watchtowers form one of the oldest and most complete city defenses still around. Built in the 13th century on the foundations of the original Tang Forbidden City surrounding the city centre, it is a major landmark, and the best preserved, as well as the oldest and largest of the city defense systems in China. We operate this with bicycle. If the weather is not good for biking on the city wall, we will substitute a visit to the Bell Tower. Your guide will be very glad to take you the Bell Tower after you have been to look at the city wall.
- Yue Zhen Xuan Restaurant (Hanguang Branch): Yue Zhen Xuan Restaurant is located near the Hanguang Gate of Xi'an City Wall and has a capacity of 200 people. This restaurant features for Cantonese cuisine and seafood along with a great variety of refreshments. It has become popular for its elegant environment and excellent service.
Place & Transport: Xian to Kunming, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: The Terracotta Warriors and Horses, Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts center, Hotel to airport Transfer (Xian), Airport Transfer (Kunming)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant(Qinling Branch)
- The Terracotta Warriors and Horses (2 hours): Discovered accidentally in 1974, this incredible army of over 7000 soldiers, archers, horses and chariots in full battle array has guarded Emperor Qin's tomb since 210BC. Each figure is unique, and the painstaking repair and excavation continues in 3 pits which are protected inside huge hangars. 1.5 hours from Xian, there is also an excellent museum and film about the history of the vaults. Photos (no flash) are allowed. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Big Wild Goose Pagoda (1 hour): A major Buddhist site, the simple, elegant brick Pagoda stands in the grounds of the attractive Da Ci'en Temple. The Pagoda was built in the 7th century to house the Buddhist materials that Xuanzang (Tripitaka) brought back from his epic journey to India. The Temple complex has several large halls with some great Buddhist statues and murals.
- A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant(Qinling Branch): A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant was established in 2004, mainly specializes in Hunan and Sichuan cuisine. It provides delicacy by using the material from Shanxi, obtaining a nationwide reputation from customers. It would be a nice choice to dine while traveling the nearby Terra cotta Warriors and Horses.
- Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts center: Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts mainly manufactures jade carvings and lacquer ware. Tourists can learn how the fine Chinese jade carved and the function of jade.
Place & Transport: Kunming
Today's Activities: The Stone Forest, Jiuxiang Caves, Colorful Yunnan Shopping Center
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Chinese Restaurant of Stone Forest Ashima Hotel
- The Stone Forest (2 hours): A fantastic natural phenomena located 90 km southeast of Kunming. The various shapes of karst landscape was formed due to millions of years' movement of Earth. The Stone Forest area is the home of the Sani people, their folk customs has become one spectacular scene, the colorful embroidery and minority dances combine with the natural sceneries, which will surely leave you a deep impression.
- Jiuxiang Caves (2 hours): Jiuxiang Caves are situated in Jiuxiang Township, about 70 kilometers from Kunming. There are more than one hundred karst caves in Jiuxiang scenic area. The caves at Jiuxiang are the largest cave group system in China. Inside the cave are many well-developed and wonderful stalactites and stalagmites, which look like pretty fairies welcoming their guests. Names have been given to them such as "Fairies Welcoming Guests", "Woman Weaver", and "The Fairy is coming out of bathing".
Note: The final stage is to climb up Bat Cave. This is the most challenging part as there are about 336 steps. Sometimes there are laborers who offering sedan chair service.
- Colorful Yunnan Shopping Center : Colorful Yunnan is a shopping complex with shops, entertainment and restaurants. It contains the largest jade shop in China.
Address: ANNING--SHILIN ROAD
- Chinese Restaurant of Stone Forest Ashima Hotel : Situated by the entrance to Stone Forest landscaped area, the restaurant is famous for its roast duck.
Place & Transport: Kunming to Dali (Watch the Video ), Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Kunming), Airport Transfer (Dali), Houses of Bai People in Xizhou, Cruise on the Erhai Lake
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Houses of Bai People in Xizhou (30 minutes): The Houses of Bai people in Xizhou are located in the Xizhou Town which is 16 kilometers away from the Ancient City of Dali. Xizhou is not only a famous historic city, but also a typical commercial town of Bai people. It is one of the cradles of National capitalism of Bai people, and a famous hometown to overseas Chinese in Yunnan. You will see typical Bai traditions and dresses there. Some buildings are old and typical ancient architectures, which are the real local house. On the outside walls of each house, there are numerous exquisite paintings showing the art atmosphere.
- Cruise on the Erhai Lake: The area around Lake Erhai is blessed with a mild climate and fertile land with forests containing valuable stocks of timber, medicinal herbs and rare animals. A cruise around the lake and its islands is an excellent way to explore the area and visit a working fishing village. Fifteen minutes' wait is sometimes required if there are less than five people to take the cruise.
Place & Transport: Dali to Lijiang (Watch the Video )
Today's Activities: Our guide and driver will escort you from Dali to Lijiang, Lijiang Ancient Town, The Black Dragon Pool
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at No.8 Lv Xue Zhai Restaurant
- Lijiang Ancient Town (2 hours): It is situated in the middle area of the county, which is more than 2400 meters high above sea level. It enjoys beautiful scenes, an indeed famous city with long history and splendid culture, it is very rare in China that such well-preserved minority ancient city still exists. The old town is quite busy in the afternoon and evening with an active atmosphere of the lights and crowd. An early morning visit will be less crowded.
- The Black Dragon Pool (1.5 hours): The park holds the Black Dragon Pool and gets name because of it. The pool is listed in the Collections of Famous Pools of China because of its beauty.
- No.8 Lv Xue Zhai Restaurant: The restaurant is decorated in courtyard style of Naxi region and mainly provides Naxi cuisine as well some Chinese dishes.
Place & Transport: Lijiang (Watch the Video )
Today's Activities: Spruce Meadow on Jade Snow Mountain, Baisha Murals at Baisha Village
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Baisha Shiguang Restaurant
- Spruce Meadow on Jade Snow Mountain (2.5 hours): Half way up Shanzidou, in the spruce jungle, is hidden a vast meadow called Spruce Meadow. Its altitude is 3,240m. Every spring and summer, the Spruce Meadow stands out on the mountain ridge like a carpet of greenery. The legend of a couple of lovers who died for love certainly dyes the area with a romantic hint. It is also a popular spot for photography and local ethnic dancing performances.
- Baisha Murals at Baisha Village (30 minutes): Painted over a thousand years ago, the murals combine the cultures of Han, Tibetan and Naxi people displaying the life stories of the Tibet Buddhism, Confucian and Taoism.
- Baisha Shiguang Restaurant: The restaurant is located in Baisha Village and provides mainly Naxi cuisine along with some Chinese dishes.
Place & Transport: Lijiang to Kunming to Guilin, Flight No. TBA, connect Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Lijiang), Airport Transfer (Guilin)
Place & Transport: Guilin
Today's Activities: Li River Cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo., Yangshuo Countryside Cycling
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Li River Cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo. (4 hours): A cruise along the Li River between Guilin and Yangshuo is an unforgettable experience. As you take in the stunning scenery, there's something interesting to see at almost every bend in the river. Between spectacular limestone peaks you'll see graceful bamboo groves, farmers tending rice paddies, and lumbering water buffaloes pulling carts or cooling off in the river. You may see fishermen gliding along on their narrow bamboo rafts, and if you're very lucky you might see one of the famous fishing cormorants. Boats depart from various wharves, according to the height of the river at different times of the year.The Li river cruise is by a medium size boat which can accommodate about 140 passengers.
- Yangshuo Countryside Cycling: Experience the hustle & bustle of the Yangshuo traffic for 10 minutes before you escape onto the country roads, lanes and tracks of the distinctive and beautiful Yangshuo countryside. Biking alongside the paddy field and orchards that surround the famous mountains will give a fascinating insight into life in rural China. You will have a family visit on the half way. It is an opportunity to see a real country life and talk to the local farmers.
|Nov.1 - Mar. 31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$3,299||$2,819||$2,729||$1,034/ $559/ $435|
|6-9 Persons||$2,909||$2,419||$2,319||$1,034/ $559/ $435|
|Apr.1 - Oct.31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$3,539||$3,019||$2,869||$1,184/ $664/ $477|
|6-9 Persons||$3,119||$2,599||$2,429||$1,184/ $664/ $477|
Tour Class Comparison (Demo for Beijing)
|Superior ( 5 Star )||Deluxe (4 Star)||Economy (4/3 Star)|
|Crowne Plaza Beijing||Sunworld Hotel||Days Inn Forbidden City|
Hotels We Selected for This Tour
|City||Superior Class||Deluxe Class||Tourist Class|
|Beijing||Crowne Plaza Hotel Beijing Chaoyang U-Town||Sunworld Hotel Beijing||Days Inn Forbidden City Hotel Beijing|
|Xian||Sofitel on Renmin Square Xian||Grand Noble Hotel||Xian Skytel Hotel|
|Kunming||Green Lake Hotel||Kunming New Era Hotel||King World Hotel|
|Dali||Gurong Hotel||Dali Landscape Hotel||Dali Landscape Hotel|
|Lijiang||Crowne Plaza Lijiang Ancient Town||Lijiang Yinxiang Old City Hotel||Sanhe Hotel Lijiang|
|Guilin||Sheraton Guilin||Guilin Bravo Hotel||Guilin Osmanthus Hotel|
Excellent Local Guides
We selected the most experienced tour guides in each city. They are all very professional and flexible during the tour with oustanding knowledge of all the sites and history.
Our Luxury Car for Families
We use the modern air-conditioned luxury cars for families or 2-3 persons. The comfort and safety of our customers is of utmost importance, so we ensure that all of the vehicles that we use are well-maintained and always very clean.
Comfortable People Carrier for Small Groups
We use only air-conditioned small buses for small groups of 4-7 persons. Our drivers are very nice and careful with over 5-year drive experience.
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
- Phone Rental Package:
Rental cost for the cell phone and SIM card for use in mainland China, and at least 30 mins of FREE international calls.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Beijing, Xian, Lijiang, Dali, Kunming, Guilin by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
Beijing To Xian Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Xian To Lijiang Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Kunming To Guilin Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
- Airport Tax for Domestic Flights
Airport Tax and Fuel Fee for Flights if applicable
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
USA-CHINA/CHINA-USA: China Highlights has negotiated special discount fares (restrictions apply) for selected flights operated by Air China from major US and China gateways. We are able to offer these special deals to confirmed customers. Discount US to China Flights
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carryon baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm. More
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.
All of the guides were right there at the airport to meet us, logistics were perfect.all guides were informative, told us a lot about daily life. Meals were all excellent, and we never got sick.I Would Read more
Ann Feb. 09, 2010
Our guide Sally in Dali was outstanding - not only did she know and told us about local Bai and other customs, she really knew a lot about the history of the places we visited, and although she spoke Read more
Margit Jan. 29, 2010
We are the FIRST as well as the LARGEST online tour operator to meet the strict standards to be allowed to offer Paypal payment services to our foreign customers in China. This makes booking our tours even faster and more secure.