Tour Itinerary of Beijing with Yangtze River and Panda keeping Tour
12-Day Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Yangtze, Yichang and Shanghai Tour (CHT-FT-07)
Combine the very best of Beijing, Chengdu, Yangtze River and Shanghai in the tour designed for the whole family. Beijing: See the Hutong by rickshaw and learn to make dumplings and enjoy your achievements with the local family. Chengdu: One day volunteering at the Panda Feeding and Research centre. Cleaning the cages and preparing the bamboo for the Giant Pandas. Take a Yangtze Cruise and visit Shanghai to round off your forgettable China family tour.
- Tour Summary
- Full Itinerary
Place & Transport: Arrive in Beijing, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Beijing), A Free CH cell phone package (one cell phone for one group)
- A Free CH cell phone package (one cell phone for one group):
A Free CH cell phone package (one cell phone for one group) includes free rental for the cell phone and SIM card (Includes prepaid value of CNY 50), delivery and collection in China. Return the phone to your guide when you depart. For more about the cell phone rental service, please click cell phone rental information.China Highlights also provides a Wi-Fi package so that you can connect to the internet in China anytime and anywhere. Our 3G service provides speeds of up to 21Mbps on your smart phone, pad or laptop, so you can stay in contact. For more detail please visit Wi-Fi rental information .
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: Tiananmen Square, The Forbidden City, Hutong tour, Local Family Visit and Dumpling Making, Cricket Culture
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Free As A Bird Restaurant
- Tiananmen Square (50 minutes): Tian'anmen Square is the largest city square in the centre of Beijing, named after the Tiananmen (literally, Gate of Heavenly Peace) which sits to its north, separating it from the Forbidden City. It has great cultural significance as it was the site of several key events in Chinese history. As the world's largest city square and enduring symbol of China's national pride, it is surrounded by many imposing buildings including the Heavenly Gate (entry to the Forbidden City), Museums, government buildings and Chairman Mao's Mausoleum.
- The Forbidden City (2.5 hours): The Forbidden City was home to 24 emperors between 1368 and 1911.This "city within a city" is a World Heritage Site, and is the largest and the best preserved ancient imperial architecture complex in the world, with great square, halls and gates contrast with intricate halls, gardens, courtyards and quarters. The exhibitions, both permanent and temporary, are all important treasures of ancient China.
Hutong tour, Local Family Visit and Dumpling Making: Visit the old alleyways (Hutong) of the Xicheng District and walk along the bank of the beautiful Houhai lake area. Visit a local family in one of the traditional courtyard houses. Chat with the families about their life, learn to make Chinese dumplings (jiaozi), and share the meal (dumplings and other dishes) with them.
Cricket Culture: Cricket Culture in China encompasses a 2000 year history of both singing insects and fighting crickets. It is a traditional culture of Beijing. You will visit the home of a cricket enthusiast in the Hutong who is engaged in the crickets rearing. You will receive a history of Beijing Cricket Culture and basic knowledge of crickets rearing.
- Free As A Bird Restaurant: Wing Stake is built and decorated in a traditional courtyard house style. They serve traditional Sichuan style in keeping with the restaurant’s theme. The paintings and setting complete the atmosphere. It is a nice place to dine and hang out.
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Dinner at Qianmen Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant, Chinese Lunch at Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant
- The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car) (2 hours): This less-crowded section of the Great Wall is a about 2.5 hours' drive from downtown Beijing. A cable car takes you to a good section (avoiding a very steep climb), where you can walk along the wall, through the watch towers and enjoy superb views as it snakes across the hills and mountains. You can return by cable car, walk down or walk along the wall for about an hour to descend by chairlift. Wear good walking shoes and protection from the weather.
- Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant: Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant is near Great Wall of Mutianyu section. This garden style restaurant serves farmhouse dishes, specializing in rainbow trout, sturgeon and salmon. The fabulous taste will leave you with great memories.
- Qianmen Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant: In the evening, enjoy Peking Roasted Duck which is renowned as the most delicious food of Beijing at Qianmen Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant(Old Duck). As the nickname implies, this is one of the oldest restaurants in the capital, dating back to 1864, and they serve great Peking duck.
Place & Transport: Beijing to Chengdu, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Beijing), Airport Transfer (Chengdu), Wu Hou Temple, Jinli Old Street, Shunxin Old Teahouse Snack & Sichuan Opera & Tea
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Chengdu Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant
- Wu Hou Temple (1.5 hours): The Marquis of Wu, Zhuge Liang (181-234) was the outstanding military strategist immortalized in "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" and in the saying wise as "the Marquis of Wu". Peaceful and attractive gardens surround several halls, including one dedicated to his memory and another to that of his emperor Liu Bei, some impressive statues, a small museum, a famous Tang Dynasty stele and the classic red wall leading to Liu Bei's tomb. A delightful complex.
- Jinli Old Street (1 hour): Once the commercial heart of the old kingdoms this ancient street has been fully restored in traditional Sichuan style. Picturesque, bustling, and cheerful, you can sample local arts and craft, traditional Chinese goods, food and delicacies, and even a Starbucks, local style.
Shunxin Old Teahouse Snack & Sichuan Opera & Tea: After enjoy the snack,appreciate the classic operatic circle of the origin of a hundred years.
Wheneve performing Sichuan Opera in night: changing face , spit out fiery, hand shadow play , spit out fiery nighlights from operas
- Chengdu Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant: Ba Guo Bu Yi is located nearby Wu Hou Temple. The restaurant serves authentic Sichuan food with its traditional Chinese style decorations. It is an old and famous restaurant, which is very popular with local people. Favorite dishes include Peppery chicken, braised beef tenderloin, and fried carp in squirrel shape.
Place & Transport: Chengdu
Today's Activities: Panda Keeper - International Internship Program Plan
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch, Chinese Dinner at Morals Village
- Panda Keeper - International Internship Program Plan:
The Panda keeper experience at the Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding Research Base will be a highlight of your trip. Arrive at the Panda Base before 08:30am. The morning program is from 08:35am-11:30am, including feeding the pandas with fresh bamboo or apples, clean the enclosure, clean bamboo and hose the pandas (in summer) from outside the enclosure. Have lunch and a break at Panda Base. A tour of Panda Base is scheduled from 1:30pm-3.30 pm when you will watch a film about the Giant Panda and visit the panda museum to learn more about giant pandas and their biodiversity. A certificate will be issued to you afterwards. It is not permitted to touch the panda you will not be allowed to enter the pandas'enclosure during the course. The Panda Base has a donation program which allows you take pictures hugging a panda in your arms for 1,300RMB. This program is subject to the availability of pandas on that day. Please bring RMB cash as they don't accept credit cards.
Note: The program is subject to change without notice and is totally dependent on the program of the day at the Panda Base. We can not guarantee that the programs listed above will be all provided.
- Morals Village: This fabulously decorated restaurant which can hold up hundreds of people for dining is famous for its delicious hotpot. Another kind of specialty is its crisp baber tripe.
Place & Transport: Chengdu to Chongqing to Yangtze, Train No. D5112 (Chengdu East Railway Station - Chongqing North Railway Station) Dep 14:06 - Arr 16:10
Today's Activities: Hotel to Train station Transfer (Chengdu), Train station Transfer (Chongqing), Cruise pier Transfer (Chongqing), Board the ship from 17:30 to 21:30 for overnight accommodation (dinner is not included).
Place & Transport: Yangtze
Today's Activities: Shore excursion to Fengdu Ghost City: 09:00–12:00.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch, Chinese Dinner
--Fengdu is where the devil lives, according to Chinese legend. They say that spirits go to heaven, and evil goes to Fengdu. The town is overlooked by Ming Shan Hill, home of Tianzi, the King of the Dead. The whole place has an eerie feel to it with deserted streets, tower blocks, empty shops and banks. The only people here are those who make a living from visiting cruise boats.
Place & Transport: Yangtze
Today's Activities: Shore excursion to the Lesser Three Gorges: 12:30–16:30. You have the option of visiting White Emperor City (260 RMB per person): 08:00–10:30.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch, Chinese Dinner
--The Lesser Three Gorges are the three separate valleys of the Daning River: Dragon Gate Gorge, Misty Gorge and Emerald Gorge. These lie on the lower reaches of the Daning, which flows into the Yangtze. The gorges are truly spectacular. Sheer cliffs soar up towards the sky from the brown-green water. Mountain tops hover above the ribbon of mist, disconnected from their roots. Its "subtle mountains, clear waters, pretty rocks, dangerous rapids, sharp turns, fantastic caves, and stalactites in various shapes" create the timeless beauty that you see in Chinese landscape paintings. Monkeys, mandarin ducks and other water birds can be seen loitering on big boulders in this area. In addition to the wonderful natural scenery there are a number of historical places of interest along the way, such as a suspended coffin, boat coffin, and remains of ancient plank walkway.
-Also known as the White Emperor City, Baidi City clings to the hills and cliffs of a peninsular jutting out into the river. It is a miniature city of temples and gates on Baidi Hill. The city is well known as "the Poet’s City", because it has been visited by many scholars in the past, who have left many literary relics. It is also known for two famous legends, "The Seven Hundred Connected Barracks were Burned", and "The Orphan who put Trust in Baidi City".
Place & Transport: Yangtze to Yichang to Shanghai, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Cruise pier Transfer (Yichang), Airport Transfer (Yichang), Airport Transfer (Shanghai), Shore Excursion to the Three Gorges Dam Site. Arrive in Yichang at 12:00.
--Three Gorges Dam, the largest water conservancy project ever undertaken by man and it has been a dream for several generations of Chinese people. The construction of the dam formally began in 1994. The body of the dam was completed in 2003, and the whole construction has been completed in 2009. It will be 2,335 meters long, 185 meters high, 18 meters wide on the top and 130 meters wide at the bottom.The tourists can get access to the top of the dam and enjoy different kinds of photo opportunities.
Place & Transport: Shanghai
Today's Activities: Shangcheng Acrobatic Show, Yuyuan Garden, Yuyuan Market, Nanjing Road, The Bund
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Home's Restaurant
Shangcheng Acrobatic Show: This famous Chinese troupe have pleased crowds and won acrobatic awards all over the world. The amazing show features some of the best acts, and is a feast of light color ， incredible acrobatic and circus feats.
Price: Type A (RMB 280), Type B (RMB 200), Type C (RMB 150)
- Yuyuan Garden (1 hour): Yuyuan Garden is located in the center of Shanghai old quarters. It was a private garden built in 1559 during the Ming Dynasty, with typical Chinese classic architecture and style. The complex covers an area of 2 hectares, with rockeries, pavilions, ponds and corridors. Yuyuan Garden is surrounding by a busy market place, where visitors can find everything from popular local snacks, handicrafts, antiques and souvenirs to some famous time-honored restaurants.
- Yuyuan Market (30 minutes): Located next to the Yuyuan Garden and also known today as the City God Temple, it was built in the fifteenth century during the Ming Dynasty. The City God Temple is a Taoist temple which is composed of many halls such as the Grand Hall, Middle Hall, Bedroom Palace, Star Gods Hall and etc. The City God Temple has a great influence on the residents of Shanghai. The religious festivals of the temple are considered to be festivals for all Shanghai people.
- Nanjing Road (40 minutes): Nanjing Road is the most famous and busiest shopping street in Shanghai. From time-honored traditional Chinese brand stores to international designer boutiques, Nanjing Road is a shopping paradise where you can find everything. There are also many hotels, restaurants, theaters and shopping malls. It's a fascinating glimpse of modern, commercial China.
- The Bund (40 minutes): This 1.5-kilometer-long embankment runs along the western bank of Huangpu River. On its west side it is the "architecture gallery" with 52 well-preserved old European style buildings. Once the major trading and commercial center of old Shanghai, the Bund has now taken on new vitality, with futuristic developments, chic restaurants, top end shops and bars offer plenty to see and do-and by night it's magic!
- Home's Restaurant: Home's Restaurant is located near the Nanjing Road. It specializes in Shanghai cuisine using the best local ingredients. Smoked fish and red jujube with sticky rice are well known in Shanghai. The restaurant enjoys a great reputation with diners from many parts of China and abroad.
Place & Transport: Shanghai
Today's Activities: An In Depth Visit to Shanghai Old Alleys, The Shanghai World Financial Center
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
An In Depth Visit to Shanghai Old Alleys: Experience the real life of the Shanghainese. Enjoy a lunch and chat with locals in their home. Visit the local market and even learn how to speak Shanghainese.
- The Shanghai World Financial Center (40 minutes): Shanghai World Financial Center is located in Pudong District, reaching a height of 492 meters (1,615 feet). It is now a new landmark of prosperous Shanghai. It was the second tallest building in the world when it was completed in 2007. Its observation deck, at 474 meters (1,555 feet) above the ground, is currently the tallest in the world. The multi-function skyscraper consists of hotels, apartments, restaurants, shopping malls, offices and observation decks.
Place & Transport: Depart Shanghai, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Shanghai)
Excellent Local Guides
We selected the most experienced tour guides in each city. They are all very professional and flexible during the tour with oustanding knowledge of all the sites and history.
Our Luxury Car for Families
We use the modern air-conditioned luxury cars for families or 2-3 persons. The comfort and safety of our customers is of utmost importance, so we ensure that all of the vehicles that we use are well-maintained and always very clean.
Comfortable People Carrier for Small Groups
We use only air-conditioned small buses for small groups of 4-7 persons. Our drivers are very nice and careful with over 5-year drive experience.
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Yangtze, Yichang, Shanghai by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
- Yangtze River Cruises:
The price quoted for a Yangtze River Cruise includes all meals onboard, and all land excursions including the smaller cruise fee to Lesser Three Gorges or Shennong Stream. (Optional land excursions are available for a few ships which will be specially noted.) The price does not include any incidental charges, including room service, mini bar, laundry, and drinks and bar charges, tipping, etc.
The Pre-boarding Fee includes overnight accommodations on the ship the night before departure and breakfast in the morning.
Beijing To Chengdu Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Chengdu East To Chongqing North Railway Station Transfer via: Train, D5112 (Our arrangements)
Yichang To Shanghai Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
- Airport Tax and Fuel Fee
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports/railway stations/cruise piers and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
USA-CHINA/CHINA-USA: China Highlights has negotiated special discount fares (restrictions apply) for selected flights operated by Air China from major US and China gateways. We are able to offer these special deals to confirmed customers. Discount US to China Flights
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carryon baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm. More
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement:
Important note for those who choose to pay a single room supplement fee: The fee only covers hotel single room supplements; it does NOT include use of a single cabin on the Yangtze River Cruise. Standard Yangtze River Cruise prices per person are based on 2 people sharing 1 cabin unless otherwise specified. If you would like to request a single cabin on the Yangtze River ship, please contact us to check cost and availability.