Tour Itinerary of Discover Shangri-la Tour
10-Day Beijing, Kunming, Dali, Lijiang and Shangri la Tour (CHT-MN-01)
Is this really the mythical Shangri-la? Come, find out for yourself you won't be disappointed . Some of the most magnificent scenery and unusual cultures are waiting to be explored after commencing in Beijing.
- Tour Summary
- Full Itinerary
Place & Transport: Arrive in Beijing, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Beijing), A Free CH cell phone package
- A Free CH cell phone package:
A Free CH cell phone package includes free rental for the cell phone and SIM card (Includes prepaid value of CNY 50), delivery and collection in China. Return the phone to your guide when you depart. For more about the cell phone rental service, please click cell phone rental information.
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car), Temple of Heaven
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant
- The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car) (2 hours): This less-crowded section of the Great Wall is a about 2.5 hours' drive from downtown Beijing. A cable car takes you to a good section (avoiding a very steep climb), where you can walk along the wall, through the watch towers and enjoy superb views as it snakes across the hills and mountains. You can return by cable car, walk down or walk along the wall for about an hour to descend by chairlift. Wear good walking shoes and protection from the weather.
- Temple of Heaven (1.5 hours): Built in 1420 during the Ming Dynasty, Temple of Heaven is a complex of Taoist buildings where emperors of Ming and Qing dynasties visited for annual ceremonies of pray for good harvests. Located in the south of Central Beijing, it covers an area of 273 hectares. Temple of Heaven was enrolled as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998.
- Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant: Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant is near Great Wall of Mutianyu section. This garden style restaurant serves farmhouse dishes, specializing in rainbow trout, sturgeon and salmon. The fabulous taste will leave you with great memories.
Place & Transport: Beijing to Kunming, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: The Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, Hotel to airport Transfer (Beijing), Airport Transfer (Kunming)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- The Forbidden City (2.5 hours): The Forbidden City was home to 24 emperors between 1368 and 1911.This "city within a city" is a World Heritage Site, and is the largest and the best preserved ancient imperial architecture complex in the world, with great square, halls and gates contrast with intricate halls, gardens, courtyards and quarters. The exhibitions, both permanent and temporary, are all important treasures of ancient China.
- Tiananmen Square (50 minutes): Tian'anmen Square is the largest city square in the centre of Beijing, named after the Tiananmen (literally, Gate of Heavenly Peace) which sits to its north, separating it from the Forbidden City. It has great cultural significance as it was the site of several key events in Chinese history. As the world's largest city square and enduring symbol of China's national pride, it is surrounded by many imposing buildings including the Heavenly Gate (entry to the Forbidden City), Museums, government buildings and Chairman Mao's Mausoleum.
- Beijing Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant: Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant is located near Summer Palace in Haidian District. It serves authentic Sichuan cuisine with its traditional Chinese style decor. Recommended dishes include sweet and sour fish, fried pork with celery and Kungpao Chicken.
Place & Transport: Kunming
Today's Activities: The Stone Forest
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Chinese Restaurant of Stone Forest Ashima Hotel
- The Stone Forest (2 hours): A fantastic natural phenomena located 90 km southeast of Kunming. The various shapes of karst landscape was formed due to millions of years' movement of Earth. The Stone Forest area is the home of the Sani people, their folk customs has become one spectacular scene, the colorful embroidery and minority dances combine with the natural sceneries, which will surely leave you a deep impression.
- Chinese Restaurant of Stone Forest Ashima Hotel : Situated by the entrance to Stone Forest landscaped area, the restaurant is famous for its roast duck.
- Kunming Hand Workshop: Located near Yangzong Lake, Kunming Hand Workshop sell the embroidery clothes, wall carpet and some ethnic style embroidery hand crafts.
Place & Transport: Kunming to Dali (Watch the Video ), Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Kunming), Airport Transfer (Dali), Houses of Bai People in Xizhou, Ancient City of Dali, Three Pagodas, Cruise on the Erhai Lake
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Caihuiju Restaurant
- Houses of Bai People in Xizhou (30 minutes): The Houses of Bai people in Xizhou are located in the Xizhou Town which is 16 kilometers away from the Ancient City of Dali. Xizhou is not only a famous historic city, but also a typical commercial town of Bai people. It is one of the cradles of National capitalism of Bai people, and a famous hometown to overseas Chinese in Yunnan. You will see typical Bai traditions and dresses there. Some buildings are old and typical ancient architectures, which are the real local house. On the outside walls of each house, there are numerous exquisite paintings showing the art atmosphere.
- Ancient City of Dali (1 hour): The ancient city of Dali is 13 kilometers away from Xiaguan, Dali city, and is located at the foot of Cangshan Mountain. It was built in the year Hongwu 15 of Ming Dynasty (1382 AD). It ranks in the first list of Famous Historic and Cultural Cities of China. There runs clear springs, and lives simple and unsophisticated local Bai people. The local people have a habit of growing flowers in their gardens, with the clear streams of water, finely decorated the traditional houses, a city well worth visiting.
- Three Pagodas (1.5 hours): The Three Pagodas between the Cangshan Mountain and Erhai Lake are considered the landmark of Dali. Towering aloft in a triangle shape, the Three Pagodas were built more than 1,000 years ago. Stored in the pagodas are valued Buddhist scripts and scriptures.
- Cruise on the Erhai Lake: The area around Lake Erhai is blessed with a mild climate and fertile land with forests containing valuable stocks of timber, medicinal herbs and rare animals. A cruise around the lake and its islands is an excellent way to explore the area and visit a working fishing village. Fifteen minutes' wait is sometimes required if there are less than five people to take the cruise.
- Caihuiju Restaurant: Cai Hui Ju is a very popular coffee shop on the foreigner’s street. No matter whether you want Western or Asian food as the menu offers lots of choices.
Place & Transport: Dali to Lijiang (Watch the Video )
Today's Activities: Our guide and driver will escort you from Dali to Lijiang, The Black Dragon Pool, Lijiang Ancient Town, Wangu Tower, Baisha Cultural Exchange Center
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at No.8 Lv Xue Zhai Restaurant
- The Black Dragon Pool (1.5 hours): The park holds the Black Dragon Pool and gets name because of it. The pool is listed in the Collections of Famous Pools of China because of its beauty.
- Lijiang Ancient Town (2 hours): It is situated in the middle area of the county, which is more than 2400 meters high above sea level. It enjoys beautiful scenes, an indeed famous city with long history and splendid culture, it is very rare in China that such well-preserved minority ancient city still exists. The old town is quite busy in the afternoon and evening with an active atmosphere of the lights and crowd. An early morning visit will be less crowded.
- Wangu Tower (1 hour): Located on the top of Lion Hill, Wangu is the landmark building of Lijiang ancient town. This pure wood building is 33 meters (108 ft) tall, overlooking the scenery of Lijiang at its foot, and looking out to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in the distance.
- No.8 Lv Xue Zhai Restaurant: The restaurant is decorated in courtyard style of Naxi region and mainly provides Naxi cuisine as well some Chinese dishes.
Place & Transport: Lijiang (Watch the Video )
Today's Activities: Baisha Murals at Baisha Village, The Jade Dragon Snow Mountain(Yak Meadow)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Baisha Murals at Baisha Village (30 minutes): Painted over a thousand years ago, the murals combine the cultures of Han, Tibetan and Naxi people displaying the life stories of the Tibet Buddhism, Confucian and Taoism.
- The Jade Dragon Snow Mountain(Yak Meadow) (3 hours): The cable way from the Yak Meadow has a top altitude of 3,800m. Attractions dot the area: Yak Snow Plain, Yak Snow Valley, Black Water Valley, Snow Flake Lake, Yak Stream, and Jinxiu Meadow. It is the best place to spot the 13 peaks of Jade Snow Mountain. Yi and Tibetan people live here, and they welcome visitors.
- Baisha Shiguang Restaurant: The restaurant is located in Baisha Village and provides mainly Naxi cuisine along with some Chinese dishes.
Place & Transport: Lijiang to Shangri la (Watch the Video )
Today's Activities: Tiger Leaping Gorge, Our guide and driver will escort you from Lijiang to Shangri la
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Tiger Leaping Gorge (1.5 hours): As one of the deepest and most marvelous gorges, Tiger Leaping Gorges are located in Hutiaoxia Town, 105 kilometers away from Zhongdian/Shangri-La County. Spring is the best time to visit, as melting snow flowing down from mountains makes the river turbulence at its peak.
Place & Transport: Shangri la (Watch the Video )
Today's Activities: Songzanlin Lamasery, Pudacuo National Park
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Songzanlin Lamasery (2 hours): The largest Tibetan Buddhist lamasery in Yunnan Province. Occupying an area of 33.3 hectares, Songzanlin was built in the style of Potala Palace in Lhasa and represents the Tibetan culture, housing buddhist statues and many precious cultural treasures.
- Pudacuo National Park (4 hours): Located near Shangri-La in China's Yunnan Province in southwest China, the Pudacuo National Park covers a total area of nearly 2,000 square kilometers. This park has an average altitude of 3,500 meters and retains a well-preserved ecosystem within the virgin forests. The must-see scenery in this park includes Lake Bita and Lake Shudu. "Bita" means "a place with a dense oak forest" in the Tibetan language and "Bitahai" means a quiet lake. The Bitahai Lake is surrounded by mountains covered with ancient pines, oaks and rhododendrons, and appears like an emerald in the heart of the mountain. Shudu Lake is located in northeast of Shangri-la and it is one of the largest fresh water lakes on the Diqing plateau. The lake is surrounded by a forest of fir, spruce and silver birch, and is home to lots of wild animals such as bears, golden cats, deer and pheasants.
Place & Transport: Shangri la to Kunming to Departure City, Flight No. TBA, connect Flight not included
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Shangri la), Airport Transfer (Kunming), Airport Transfer (Kunming)
Excellent Local Guides
We selected the most experienced tour guides in each city. They are all very professional and flexible during the tour with oustanding knowledge of all the sites and history.
Our Luxury Car for Families
We use the modern air-conditioned luxury cars for families or 2-3 persons. The comfort and safety of our customers is of utmost importance, so we ensure that all of the vehicles that we use are well-maintained and always very clean.
Comfortable People Carrier for Small Groups
We use only air-conditioned small buses for small groups of 4-7 persons. Our drivers are very nice and careful with over 5-year drive experience.
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Beijing, Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, Shangri la by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
Beijing To Kunming Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Kunming To Dali Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Shangri la To Kunming Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
- Airport Tax and Fuel Fee
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
USA-CHINA/CHINA-USA: China Highlights has negotiated special discount fares (restrictions apply) for selected flights operated by Air China from major US and China gateways. We are able to offer these special deals to confirmed customers. Discount US to China Flights
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carry on baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm. More
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.