Tour Itinerary of Shanxi Highlights Tour
6-Day Datong, Wutaishan, Taiyuan and Pingyao Tour (CHT-OB-02)
Discover the origin of Shaolin Kung fu and explore Song Dynasty Culture in Henan's classic cities including Zhengzhou, Dengfeng, Luoyang and Kaifeng.
- Tour Summary
- Full Itinerary
Place & Transport: Arrive in Datong, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Datong), Yungang Grottoes, Datong Nine-Dragon Screen Wall, The Huayan Temple, Shanhua Monastery
Meals: Chinese Lunch at Lvyuan Restaurant
- Yungang Grottoes (2 hours): As a World Heritage Site, Yungang Grottoes were carved out of sandstone cliffs on Wuzhou Mountain. Yungang Grottoes were dug over a span of forty years (CE 453-493). It stretches some 1000 meters continuously from east to west and it is one of the four famous grotto complexes throughout China. Of the 53 original grottoes of the Yungang Grotto complex, only 45 remain intact. These remaining 45 grottoes contain some 250 niches and 51,000 Buddhism statues and murals.They are masterpieces of ancient Chinese grotto carving art. At the west part of the scenic area there is Yungang Exhibition Hall. It was opened in 2011, showing precious historical relics of the Northern Wei Dynasty (368–534).
Visitors to the Yungang Grottoes will see two presentations lasting one hour during their visit. The first is Song Tan Yao at Tan Yao Square and gives and insight of the everyday worship of the peopleduring North Wei Dynasty. The other is the Emperor's Salutation at Lotus Lane, depicting worshipers from the royal court. Visitors will experience Buddhist practices and worship of the time and hear the interesting folklores.
- Datong Nine-Dragon Screen Wall (30 minutes): Built over 600 years ago, Nine Dragon Screen is the oldest and largest glazed screen in China. It is 45 meters long, 8 meter tall and 2 meters tall. The screen was tiled with 426 specially made multi-colored glazes. The nine dragons on the screen appear vivid and marvelous.
- The Huayan Temple (2 hours): Huayan Temple is the largest and most perfectly preserved temple of the Liao (916-1125) and Jin (1115-1234) dynasties in China. It is considered a museum of art of the Liao Dynasty. Its buildings, statues and frescos all present the masterpieces of the Liao Dynasty. Inside the temple 31 statues made in the Liao Dynasty are well preserved. 21 large-scale frescos of the Qing Dynasty are still bright colored and resplendent.
- Shanhua Monastery (1 hour): Located in central Datong within the old city walls. It was first constructed during the Tang dynasty (618-907) though most of the present wooden building dates back to the 12th century. The temple houses some intricately carved Jin dynasty (265-420) statues and has a screen wall decorated with dragons.
- Lvyuan Restaurant: The Lvyuan Restaurant is one of the most famous restaurants in Datong. It specializes in Shanxi Cai (cuisine from north-western China). It is highly recommended by customers for its good food and reasonable prices.
Accommodations: Garden Hotel Datong (Economy)
Place & Transport: Datong to Wutaishan
Today's Activities: Hanging Monastery, Yingxian Wooden Pagoda, Our guide and driver will escort you from Datong to Wutaishan
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Hanging Monastery (2 hours): It is a wondrous monastery listed as a World Heritage Site. The Hanging Monastery was magically built into a near vertical rock face and hangs about 50 meters above the ground. The monastery is the only one in China that enshrines Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism within one monastery.
- Yingxian Wooden Pagoda (1 hour): Yingxian Wooden Pagoda is the oldest and tallest wooden pagoda in China. The pagoda was built in 1056. It remains a mystery to scientists and tourists alike that this pagoda withstood several natural disasters and still was able to maintain its original condition.
- Hongtai Restaurant: The Hongtai Restaurant is one of the best restaurants around the Wooden Pagoda. It specializes in Shanxi Cuisine (cuisine from north-western China). It is highly recommended by customers for its good food and reasonable prices.
Accommodations: Huahui Hotel (Economy)
Place & Transport: Wutaishan to Taiyuan
Today's Activities: Wutai Mountain Scenic Area, Taihuai Temple Forest, Our guide and driver will escort you from Wutaishan to Taiyuan
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Wutai Mountain Scenic Area (3 hours): The beautiful scenery of Mt. Wutaishan is a masterpiece, nature at its most exquisite. There are five glorious peaks: Wanghai Peak in the east, Guayue Peak in the west, Jinxiu Peak in the south, Yedou Peak in the north, and the central Cuiyan Peak. This mountain, one of the four holy Buddhist Mountains, is said to be the dwelling place of Manjusri Bodhisattva. 360 temples were built here dating back to the Tang Dynasty (618-907) and 47 of these still exist.
Accommodations: Hua Yuan Hotel (Economy)
Place & Transport: Taiyuan to Pingyao (Watch the Video )
Today's Activities: Jinci Temple, Our guide and driver will escort you from Taiyuan to Pingyao, Pingyao Ancient Town, Shuanglin Temple
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Chengyifeng Folk-Style Hotel
- Jinci Temple (1 hour): Jinci Temple lies at the foothill of Xuanweng Mountain. It was initially built during the Northern Wei Dynasty (386-535), and is famous for its magnificent building complex and excellent art of statue. It integrates ancient consecration buildings, landscape garden, sculptures, carvings, fresco and stele.
- Pingyao Ancient Town: Located in the middle of Shanxi Province, this World Heritage Site is one of the four best-preserved ancient towns in China. Inside the intact Ming Dynasty city wall, there are exceptionally well-preserved buildings built in the Ming and Qing Dynasties centuries ago. You can either walk or rent a bike to see around. You can also learn the traditional Chinese art of paper cutting and watch the producing process of laquerware, and many other traditional handicrafts as well. In the evening, the town is especially beautiful with the red lanterns on, and it is very relaxing to sit and chat in one of the numerous bars.
- Shuanglin Temple (1 hour): Also known as "Double Forest Temple", Shuanglin Temple is located about 20 minutes drive from Pingyao Ancient Town. Shuanglin Temple was built about 1,500 years ago, and is renowned for ancient locust trees, steles, frescos and especially the vivid and well-preserved colored-painting mud sculptures which number over 2,000.
- Chengyifeng Folk-Style Hotel : Chengyifeng is representatives of classical architecture in Ming and Qing dynasty in the old city. It's Well-known at that time. It is the busiest section in the old city. consistsofshops,yards,and attics,is the oldest yards in the ancient town. in the east and adjacent to ancient town wall. And it’s a superior qualityfolk-style hotel, Changyifeng folk-style hotel maintains building style and feature in Ming and Qing dynasty.
Accommodations: Dejuyuan Inn (Economy)
Place & Transport: Pingyao (Watch the Video )
Today's Activities: Wang Family Courtyard, Zhangbi Ancient Village
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Wang Family Courtyard (2 hours): This huge and magnificent courtyard complex occupies a higher ground and overlooks a vast horizon. Its total area is about 250,000 square meters, among which 45,000 square meters (one fifth) is open to tourists, with 123 courtyards and 1118 rooms. It gathers all the major features of north China folk houses. Its building and decoration reflect the strict hierarchy back then, and the carvings and statues all imply lots of meanings and stories.
- Zhangbi Ancient Village: Zhangbi Ancient Village, or Zhangbi Ancient Castle, is located in Zhangbi Village, about 1.5 hours' drive from Pingyao Ancient Town. With the area of about 12 square miles, it was established first as part of a military defense system. Its underground tunnel was scientifically constructed according to ancient Chinese astrology. Temples and old building are dotted around the village.
Accommodations: Dejuyuan Inn (Economy)
|Nov.1 - Mar. 31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$1,249||$1,069||$1,059||$291/ $196/ $166|
|6-9 Persons||$909||$799||$759||$291/ $196/ $166|
|Apr.1 - Oct.31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$1,219||$1,079||$1,059||$315/ $198/ $166|
|6-9 Persons||$919||$799||$759||$315/ $198/ $166|
Excellent Local Guides
We selected the most experienced tour guides in each city. They are all very professional and flexible during the tour with oustanding knowledge of all the sites and history.
Our Luxury Car for Families
We use the modern air-conditioned luxury cars for families or 2-3 persons. The comfort and safety of our customers is of utmost importance, so we ensure that all of the vehicles that we use are well-maintained and always very clean.
Comfortable People Carrier for Small Groups
We use only air-conditioned small buses for small groups of 4-7 persons. Our drivers are very nice and careful with over 5-year drive experience.
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Datong, Wutaishan, Taiyuan, Pingyao by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
USA-CHINA/CHINA-USA: China Highlights has negotiated special discount fares (restrictions apply) for selected flights operated by Air China from major US and China gateways. We are able to offer these special deals to confirmed customers. Discount US to China Flights
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carryon baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm. More
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.