Tour Itinerary of Essence of the Ancient Silk Road
5-Day Lanzhou, Jiayuguan and Dunhuang Tour (CHT-OB-04)
Explore a quintessential part of the Ancient Silk Road by visiting Lanzhou, Dunhuang and Jiayuguan city. Accept this opportunity to discover the ancient civilizations that live along this trade route and to see the magnificent Gobi desert scenery of Western China.
- Tour Summary
- Full Itinerary
Place & Transport: Arrive in Lanzhou, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Lanzhou)
Accommodations: Lanzhou Legend Hotel (Deluxe)
Place & Transport: Lanzhou to Overnight train, Train No. T9201 (Lanzhou Railway Station - Jiayuguan Railway Station) Dep 22:20 - Arr 06:31
Today's Activities: Cruise from Liujiaxia Gorge to Binglingsi( fast boat), Bingling Si, White Pagoda Hill, Hotel to Train station Transfer (Lanzhou)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Hong Rui Restaurant
- Bingling Si (2 hours): These caves, which stretch for 200 meters, were built during the Western Qin, North Wei, Sui, Tang, and Song, Yuan, Ming, Qing dynasties (between the 3rd and 18th centuries). They are highly valued for their contribution to research into the history of Chinese painting, and the spread of Buddhism during that time. From June (sometimes as late as July) to October tourist boats depart daily from the dam to Bingling Si.During winter the water level is too low for boats, and there is no road access. Steps have been built into the rock-face to make is easier to see the caves.
- White Pagoda Hill (1 hour): It is located on the north bank of the Yellow River in Lanzhou. It is named after the white pagoda on top of it, which was originally erected in the Yuan Dynasty (1271–1368). A half hour climb (that could be shortened by a cable car ride over the Yellow River) offers a great view of Lanzhou and the surrounding mountains.
- Hong Rui Restaurant: Hongrui restaurant offer a great view of the Yellow river while you dine as well as a nice atmosphere and good service. The Muslim and Chinese food are popular among the locals.
Place & Transport: Overnight train to Jiayuguan
Today's Activities: Train station Transfer (Jiayuguan), The Great Wall on the Cliff, The Jiayuguan Pass(including Great Walls Museum)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at HUA YUAN HOTEL
- The Great Wall on the Cliff (1.5 hours): This spot is 11 km northwest of Jiayuguan city center, and 7 km north of Jiayu Pass Fort. The Suspended Wall is part of the Great Wall. The wall there was built on a ridge with a gradient of 45 degrees. It is very steep and it looks as if it should fall down from the side of the mountain range, so people refer to this section of the Great Wall as "the Suspended Wall".
- The Jiayuguan Pass(including Great Walls Museum) (3.5 hours): The "First Pass Under Heaven" is at the western end of the Ming Dynasty (1368–1644) Great Wall. It is the most magnificent and best-preserved pass among over a thousand Great Wall passes. This fort commands an awesome position straddling the Gansu corridor between two mountain ranges. The adjacent Great Wall Museum is full of artifacts tracing the history of the world's longest wall.
- HUA YUAN HOTEL : The Hua Yuan Hotel is near the Jiayuguan Pass. It serves Sichuan and Cantonese cuisines.
- JiaYuGang Hotel: The Jiayuguan Hotel is near the Jiayuguan Pass.The cuisine served is based on local flavors.
Accommodations: Great Wall Hotel Jiayuguan (Deluxe)
Place & Transport: Jiayuguan to Dunhuang
Today's Activities: Our guide and driver will escort you from Jiayuguan to Dunhuang, Mogao caves
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Mogao caves (3.5 hours): Tours of Mogao caves are conducted by a guide (English, German, French and Japanese speaking guides are available) who you will share with other tourists. There are about 30 caves open to the public, but usually the tour consists of 10 which provide a representation of the total. The selection is at the discretion of the guide.
Accommodations: Dunhuang Hotel (Deluxe)
Place & Transport: Depart Dunhuang, Flight not included
Today's Activities: The Singing Sand Mountains and Crescent Spring, Riding on a Camel, Hotel to airport Transfer (Dunhuang)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Fengqingyuan Restaurant
- The Singing Sand Mountains and Crescent Spring (2 hours): Crescent Spring (Yueya Quan) is in the Singing Sand Mountains (Mingsha Shan), 6 km (4 mi) south of Dunhuang. It is an oasis in the desert. The spring's name derives from the crescent-shaped lake formed by the spring water between two huge sand dunes. Although the area is very dry, the pool doesn't dry up as one might expect.
- Riding on a Camel: Riding a camel on the desert of the Singing Sand Mountains is a great experience. You can enjoy the beautiful wavy shapes of the smooth yellow dunes against the deep blue sky, and imagine you are traveling the ancient Silk Road. Step off the camel and listen for the singing of the sand.
- Fengqingyuan Restaurant: The restaurant is near the Moon Spring in Dunhuang. It is courtyard-style and the cuisine is based on local flavors. It is very popular with the locals.
|Nov.1 - Mar. 31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|1 Person||not supplied
No hotels available which meet our required standard
|Apr.1 - Oct.31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|1 Person||not supplied||$1,569||not supplied||-|
Excellent Local Guides
We selected the most experienced tour guides in each city. They are all very professional and flexible during the tour with oustanding knowledge of all the sites and history.
Our Luxury Car for Families
We use the modern air-conditioned luxury cars for families or 2-3 persons. The comfort and safety of our customers is of utmost importance, so we ensure that all of the vehicles that we use are well-maintained and always very clean.
Comfortable People Carrier for Small Groups
We use only air-conditioned small buses for small groups of 4-7 persons. Our drivers are very nice and careful with over 5-year drive experience.
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Lanzhou, Jiayuguan, Dunhuang by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
Lanzhou To Jiayuguan Transfer via: Train, T9201 (Our arrangements)
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports/railway stations and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
USA-CHINA/CHINA-USA: China Highlights has negotiated special discount fares (restrictions apply) for selected flights operated by Air China from major US and China gateways. We are able to offer these special deals to confirmed customers. Discount US to China Flights
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carryon baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm. More
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.