Tour Itinerary of China Ancient Cities and Celebrated Mountains
15-Day Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Emeishan, Leshan, Hangzhou, Huangshan and Shanghai Tour (CHT-PT-01)
Mountains hold a special place in Chinese culture. Stories are told about their creation and their effects on the lives of the Chinese people. Let us show you some of the most famous and beautiful mountains in China together with some of our most famous landmarks.
- Tour Summary
- Full Itinerary
Place & Transport: Arrive in Beijing, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Beijing), A Free CH cell phone package (one cell phone for one group)
- A Free CH cell phone package (one cell phone for one group):
A Free CH cell phone package (one cell phone for one group) includes free rental for the cell phone and SIM card (Includes prepaid value of CNY 50), delivery and collection in China. Return the phone to your guide when you depart. For more about the cell phone rental service, please click cell phone rental information.China Highlights also provides a Wi-Fi package so that you can connect to the internet in China anytime and anywhere. Our 3G service provides speeds of up to 21Mbps on your smart phone, pad or laptop, so you can stay in contact. For more detail please visit Wi-Fi rental information .
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: The Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Tiananmen Square, Lizexiang Pearl Store
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Beijing Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant
- The Forbidden City (2.5 hours): The Forbidden City was home to 24 emperors between 1368 and 1911.This "city within a city" is a World Heritage Site, and is the largest and the best preserved ancient imperial architecture complex in the world, with great square, halls and gates contrast with intricate halls, gardens, courtyards and quarters. The exhibitions, both permanent and temporary, are all important treasures of ancient China.
- Temple of Heaven (1.5 hours): Built in 1420 during the Ming Dynasty, Temple of Heaven is a complex of Taoist buildings where emperors of Ming and Qing dynasties visited for annual ceremonies of pray for good harvests. Located in the south of Central Beijing, it covers an area of 273 hectares. Temple of Heaven was enrolled as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998.
- Tiananmen Square (50 minutes): Tian'anmen Square is the largest city square in the centre of Beijing, named after the Tiananmen (literally, Gate of Heavenly Peace) which sits to its north, separating it from the Forbidden City. It has great cultural significance as it was the site of several key events in Chinese history. As the world's largest city square and enduring symbol of China's national pride, it is surrounded by many imposing buildings including the Heavenly Gate (entry to the Forbidden City), Museums, government buildings and Chairman Mao's Mausoleum.
- Lizexiang Pearl Store : China's freshwater pearls are celebrated throughout the world. See how they are produced including some of the latest technology, and learn how to spot a fake. The outlet also offers a range of items produced from pearls and pearl oysters which goes far wider than jewellery. China Highlights customers will see the seeds being planted in the live mussel and also how learn how to differentiate real pearls from fake. This is a great opportunity to buy genuine pearls, that come with a guarantee, for your family and friends but there is absolutely no pressure to buy.
Address: No.7.Changqing Yuan, Congwen District,Beijign City.
- Beijing Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant: Ba Guo Bu Yi Restaurant is located near Summer Palace in Haidian District. It serves authentic Sichuan cuisine with its traditional Chinese style decor. Recommended dishes include sweet and sour fish, fried pork with celery and Kungpao Chicken.
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: Hutong Tour in Xicheng District, The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car), Cloisonne Factory
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant, Chinese Dinner at Roasted Duck at Fangzhuang
- Hutong Tour in Xicheng District (1 hour): Hutong is a maze of historic alleyways with old single storey traditional courtyard houses, which are now fast disappearing. In this one hour tour, you can hop on a rickshaw to ride through the narrow alleys as well as visit a local family then walk on the Silver Ingot Bridge (Yinding Bridge) and find out about the different thresholds of the courtyards.
- The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car) (2 hours): This less-crowded section of the Great Wall is a about 2.5 hours' drive from downtown Beijing. A cable car takes you to a good section (avoiding a very steep climb), where you can walk along the wall, through the watch towers and enjoy superb views as it snakes across the hills and mountains. You can return by cable car, walk down or walk along the wall for about an hour to descend by chairlift. Wear good walking shoes and protection from the weather.
- Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant: Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant is near Great Wall of Mutianyu section. This garden style restaurant serves farmhouse dishes, specializing in rainbow trout, sturgeon and salmon. The fabulous taste will leave you with great memories.
- Roasted Duck at Fangzhuang: Beijing Roast Duck is renowned as the most delicious food of Beijing while Quanjude Restaurants enjoy a high reputation for its Beijing roast duck. Quanjuede restaurants have developed their own technique and are famous for outstanding quality. Fangzhuang branch is located besides the Temple of Heaven.
- Cloisonne Factory: Cloisonne is an intricate and detailed process, dating back over 700 years, to produce fine enamel on a copper base. You can watch the workers at all stages of the process to see how these beautiful objects are produced. There's a showroom attached for those who would like a souvenir of the visit, big or small, and all objects are guaranteed. This is a popular place for those looking for special, quality souvenirs. China Highlights customers have the opportunity to see the manufacturing process. This is an exclusive offer for our customers! There is no pressure to buy!
Address: No.488, Wujia village, Huanrou town, Beijing City
Place & Transport: Beijing to Xian, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Beijing), Airport Transfer (Xian), The Terracotta Warriors and Horses
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant(Qinling Branch)
- The Terracotta Warriors and Horses (2 hours): Discovered accidentally in 1974, this incredible army of over 7000 soldiers, archers, horses and chariots in full battle array has guarded Emperor Qin's tomb since 210BC. Each figure is unique, and the painstaking repair and excavation continues in 3 pits which are protected inside huge hangars. 1.5 hours from Xian, there is also an excellent museum and film about the history of the vaults. Photos (no flash) are allowed. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant(Qinling Branch): A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant was established in 2004, mainly specializes in Hunan and Sichuan cuisine. It provides delicacy by using the material from Shanxi, obtaining a nationwide reputation from customers. It would be a nice choice to dine while traveling the nearby Terra cotta Warriors and Horses.
Place & Transport: Xian
Today's Activities: Huashan Mountain, Cable Car on Mt. Huashan(round way)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Huashan Mountain (4 hours): Huashan is famous for its precipice, located in Hayin city, Shaanxi province. It is one of the noted Five Mountains in China, and once called the West Mountain in ancient times. The mountain has three summits: the south peak, 2160.5m above sea level, the east Morning Sun Peak and the west Lotus Flower Peak.
- Cable Car on Mt. Huashan(round way) (30 minutes): You can enjoy the scenery along the way to Mt. Huashan by cable car.
Place & Transport: Xian to Chengdu, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Shaanxi History Museum, Xian City Wall with Bicycle, Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts center, Hotel to airport Transfer (Xian), Airport Transfer (Chengdu)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Reallove Restaurant
- Shaanxi History Museum (1.5 hours): The history of Shaanxi is said to be the history of China, and this museum is quite simply one of the nation's best. Four major galleries in large, Tang-style buildings house a vast and impressive collection, beautifully displayed. Most of the item labels are in English, although some other information on the exhibitions is not, but your guide can help here. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Xian City Wall with Bicycle (1.5 hours): The walls, ramparts, gates and watchtowers form one of the oldest and most complete city defenses still around. Built in the 13th century on the foundations of the original Tang Forbidden City surrounding the city centre, it is a major landmark, and the best preserved, as well as the oldest and largest of the city defense systems in China. We operate this with bicycle. If the weather is not good for biking on the city wall, we will substitute a visit to the Bell Tower. Your guide will be very glad to take you the Bell Tower after you have been to look at the city wall.
- Big Wild Goose Pagoda (1 hour): A major Buddhist site, the simple, elegant brick Pagoda stands in the grounds of the attractive Da Ci'en Temple. The Pagoda was built in the 7th century to house the Buddhist materials that Xuanzang (Tripitaka) brought back from his epic journey to India. The Temple complex has several large halls with some great Buddhist statues and murals.
- Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts center: Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts mainly manufactures jade carvings and lacquer ware. Tourists can learn how the fine Chinese jade carved and the function of jade.
- Reallove Restaurant : Real Love Restaurant is located opposite the east gate of Small Wild Goose Pagoda and is one of the finest restaurants specializing in Shaanxi cuisine. It has become popular for its elegant environment and excellent service.
Place & Transport: Chengdu
Today's Activities: Panda Breeding and Research Center, Wu Hou Temple, Jinli Old Street
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Sanguyuan Restaurant
- Panda Breeding and Research Center (2.5 hours): Located 6 miles north of Chengdu City, it is home to giant pandas, red (or lesser) pandas, and other endangered species. Visit the nursery to see the highly successful breeding program, among the bamboo groves and shady walkways, and to view the pandas at rest or play. There is a panda museum where you can learn some information about giant pandas.
Note: The Panda Breeding and Research Center has a donation program which allows you take pictures with holding a panda one minute by donating RMB 2,000 Yuan (for reference only). Only 40 tourists are allowed to hold pandas a day. If you want to hold a panda, you must book it one day in advance.This program is subject to the availability of pandas on that day. Please bring enough RMB cash as payment by credit card is not accepted there.
- Wu Hou Temple (1.5 hours): The Marquis of Wu, Zhuge Liang (181-234) was the outstanding military strategist immortalized in "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" and in the saying wise as "the Marquis of Wu". Peaceful and attractive gardens surround several halls, including one dedicated to his memory and another to that of his emperor Liu Bei, some impressive statues, a small museum, a famous Tang Dynasty stele and the classic red wall leading to Liu Bei's tomb. A delightful complex.
- Jinli Old Street (1 hour): Once the commercial heart of the old kingdoms this ancient street has been fully restored in traditional Sichuan style. Picturesque, bustling, and cheerful, you can sample local arts and craft, traditional Chinese goods, food and delicacies, and even a Starbucks, local style.
- Sanguyuan Restaurant : It's the place where you can enjoy not only the wonderful dishes but the culture of Three Kingdoms. Each dish has a name related with Three Kingdoms.
Place & Transport: Chengdu to Emeishan
Today's Activities: Emei Mountain, Our guide and driver will escort you from Chengdu to Emeishan, Baoguo monastery
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Emei Mountain (50 minutes): One of the most famous mountains for Buddhism in China. It has many temples and beautiful scenery.Baoguo Temple lies right at the foot of Mt. Emei.
- Baoguo monastery (1 hour): This monastery was built in the 16th century, enlarged in the 17th century, and rebuilt in recent years. To the left of the gate is a rockery for potted miniature trees and rare plants.
Place & Transport: Emeishan to Leshan to Chengdu
Today's Activities: Our guide and driver will escort you from Emeishan to Leshan, Leshan Giant Buddha, Cruise to have a overlook at Leshan Giant Buddha, Our guide and driver will escort you from Leshan to Chengdu
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Leshan Giant Buddha (2 hours): The Great Buddha in Leshan is located to the east of Leshan City, Sichuan Province and on the Lingyun Mountain where Min River, Qingyi River and Dadu River meet. It has been the largest stone carved sitting Buddhist statue in the world so far.
- Cruise to have a overlook at Leshan Giant Buddha (40 minutes): The Great Buddha in Leshan is located to the east of Leshan City, Sichuan Province and on the Lingyun Mountain where Min River, Qingyi River and Dadu River meet. It has been the largest stone carved sitting Buddhist statue in the world so far.You can sit on board to have an overlook at Leshan Giant Buddha.
Place & Transport: Chengdu to Hangzhou, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Chengdu), Airport Transfer (Hangzhou), Lingyin Temple, Six Harmonies Pagoda
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Zhang Sheng Ji Restaurant
- Lingyin Temple (2 hours): As one of the most important and wealthiest Buddhist temples in China, Lingyin Temple boasts plenty of pagodas and Buddhist grottoes.
During the Eastern Jin Dynasty in 328 AD, Hui Li, a monk from India brought Buddhism to this area and founded this temple. At that time, nine multi-storey buildings, 8 pavilions, 72 halls and more than 1,300 dormitory rooms had made up this temple, and it was the national worship center.
Located in front of the temple proper, Feilai Feng (Flying Peak) is an outstanding Buddhist grotto site, in which are engraved numerous Buddha images. Legend has it the peak was originally from India, and flew to Hangzhou overnight as a demonstration of the omnipotence of Buddhist law.
Other attractions include Hall of the Heavenly Kings, Grand Hall of the Great Sage, Hall of the Medicine Buddha, Sutra Library, and Hall of the Five Hundred Arhats.
- Six Harmonies Pagoda (30 minutes): The Liuhe Pagoda is located on the north bank of the Qiantang River in the south of Hangzhou City. The Liuhe Pagoda is one of the famous ancient pagodas in our country and forms the wonderful sceneries of Hangzhou together with "the ten sceneries of the West Lake". Highly erected by the Qiantang River and to the south of the West Lake, it is a perfect symbol of brick-and-wood structure built in the ancient China. It was first built in 970 AD in the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127). The name "six harmonies" comes from the six Buddhist ordinances, meaning "harmonies of the heaven, earth, east, west, south and north"
- Zhang Sheng Ji Restaurant : Zhang Sheng Ji is a popular old Hangzhou restaurant whose philosophy is that food doesn't have to be fancy or use exotic ingredients to be delicious. Duck casserole and West Lake vinegar fish are the first dishes that come to mind for most people when Zhang Sheng Ji is mentioned.
Place & Transport: Hangzhou to Huangshan,
Today's Activities: The West Lake(including the Island on the lake), Meijiawu Tea Plantation and Tea Shop and Farmhouse Tea Shop, Express bus station transfer (Hangzhou), Express bus station transfer (Huangshan)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Louwailou Resturant
- The West Lake(including the Island on the lake) (1 hour): West Lake has an area of 5.6 square kilometers (2.2 square miles) and is the symbol of Hangzhou which lies on its banks and is a place of tranquility. A visit to Fairy Island is worth it to see on of the Ten Best Views of West Lake - Three Pools Mirroring the Moon. The occasional pagoda and Chinese-style arched bridges add atmosphere to the tree-lined walkways, verdant islands and hills make West Lake a very special part of any China experience.
- Louwailou Resturant: Louwailou is a famous restaurant located nearby West Lake and has a long history of more than 150 years. The restaurant specializes in Hangzhou cuisine and it is well known for West lake vinegar fish and Braised Dongpo Pork.
- Meijiawu Tea Plantation and Tea Shop and Farmhouse Tea Shop: Meijiawu Tea Village is located in the western part of West Lake scenic area. It has a history of over 600 years. Situated among lush green hills, it is a rustic, natural scenic spot. Visitors can have a tea culture experience by seeing tea picking and processing. It also showcases tea products of all kinds including Jasmine tea, Dragon Well tea, Green tea, Black tea, and Wulong tea. Visitor can buy tea in the farmhouse tea shop which is operated by local farmers.
Address: No.1 South Meiling Road
Place & Transport: Huangshan
Today's Activities: The Yellow Mountains, Yungu Cable Car
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- The Yellow Mountains (6 hours): Located in the south of Anhui Province, with an area of about 1,200 square kilometers, known as "the loveliest mountain in China",famous for magnificent scenery whatever the season: granite peaks piercing the clouds, strangely shaped rocks and gnarled trees, hot springs, waterfalls, wonderful outlooks and over 1500 plant species. No traffic within the core area of about 150 square kilometres, accessible by cable car or on foot. Many enticing walks of all grades, all include some steps.
- Yungu Cable Car (10 minutes): You can enjoy the scenery along the way as you ascend or descend the Yellow Mountain by cable car.
Place & Transport: Huangshan to Shanghai, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Yungu Cable Car, Hongcun Village, Tunxi Ancient Street, , Hotel to airport Transfer (Huangshan), Airport Transfer (Shanghai)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Leigang villa
- Yungu Cable Car (10 minutes): You can enjoy the scenery along the way as you ascend or descend the Yellow Mountain by cable car.
- Hongcun Village (1.5 hours): It's located about 10 kilometers off the northeast part of Yixian County. An ancient village over 800 years old leaning against Mt. Huangshan, it is folded in the fog of the Mt Huangshan, which makes it look like a natural landscape painting. Parts of the famous film "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon" were made here.
Surrounded by a picturesque moat with bridges to the village and a half-moon shaped pond in the centre, it is a favourite haunt of artists and students who often stay with local families to paint here. Laid out to represent a buffalo, it is one of the prettiest places in the area, known as the Chinese town in the pictures and has been listed by UNESCO for its beauty and largely undeveloped traditional streets and houses. Various halls, dwellings and an old school are open to visitors.
- Tunxi Ancient Street (1 hour): It's located in the center of the old city of Tunxi,there are hundreds of old but well preserved rows of shops, evoking a bygone era in buildings that are simple and elegant. It is a commercial street that is only for pedestrians.
- Leigang villa: Located on the top of the Leigang hill, Leigang Villa restaurant serves local style Chinese food. Lunch is served in a beautiful environment with pleasant scenery, as the restaurant is surrounded by a forest of bamboo and peach trees. The restaurant has a bird's eye view of Hongcun village.
Place & Transport: Shanghai
Today's Activities: Shanghai Museum((Audio Guide included)), Yuyuan Garden, Oriental Pearl TV Tower, Jiangnan Silk Shop and Workshop
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Home's Restaurant
- Shanghai Museum((Audio Guide included)) (1.5 hours): The biggest, and many think the best museum in China. The galleries in this outstanding building display stunning collections of bronzes, sculptures, ceramics and porcelain, paintings, calligraphy, seals, jade, coins, furniture, ethnic artefacts from minority groups, temporary travelling exhibitions from places like the Guggenheim, and so much more ... give yourself time to enjoy it.
- Yuyuan Garden (1 hour): Yuyuan Garden is located in the center of Shanghai old quarters. It was a private garden built in 1559 during the Ming Dynasty, with typical Chinese classic architecture and style. The complex covers an area of 2 hectares, with rockeries, pavilions, ponds and corridors. Yuyuan Garden is surrounding by a busy market place, where visitors can find everything from popular local snacks, handicrafts, antiques and souvenirs to some famous time-honored restaurants.
- Oriental Pearl TV Tower (1.4 hours): One of the tallest TV towers in the world, known for its distinctive spheres, or "pearls", it stands across the river from the Bund, among the exciting architecture of the east bank. On a rare clear day you can see to the mouth of the Yangtze, but even in normal conditions there are great views of Shanghai's dramatic cityscape. The Shanghai History Museum is Located now just below the Oriental TV Tower at Pudong New Area. It was formally opened to the public on July 1, 2000. There you can see the three major exhibition units reflecting Shanghai's history, modern and recent revolutionary history respectively.
- Jiangnan Silk Shop and Workshop: See how silk is produced from the cocoons of silk worms, and turned into the beautiful fabric we all know and love. Silk filled duvets are excellent value, and the showroom offers everything from small souvenirs to larger items. The beauty of real silk is that it's so light, and packs really easily.
Address: 289, Ao'men Road, Putuo District, Shanghai
- Home's Restaurant: Home's Restaurant is located near the Nanjing Road. It specializes in Shanghai cuisine using the best local ingredients. Smoked fish and red jujube with sticky rice are well known in Shanghai. The restaurant enjoys a great reputation with diners from many parts of China and abroad.
|Nov.1 - Mar. 31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$4,019||$3,599||$3,499||$1,179/ $753/ $623|
|6-9 Persons||$3,369||$2,939||$2,819||$1,179/ $753/ $623|
|Apr.1 - Oct.31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$4,429||$3,869||$3,699||$1,476/ $912/ $692|
|6-9 Persons||$3,749||$3,199||$2,979||$1,476/ $912/ $692|
Excellent Local Guides
We selected the most experienced tour guides in each city. They are all very professional and flexible during the tour with oustanding knowledge of all the sites and history.
Our Luxury Car for Families
We use the modern air-conditioned luxury cars for families or 2-3 persons. The comfort and safety of our customers is of utmost importance, so we ensure that all of the vehicles that we use are well-maintained and always very clean.
Comfortable People Carrier for Small Groups
We use only air-conditioned small buses for small groups of 4-7 persons. Our drivers are very nice and careful with over 5-year drive experience.
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
- Phone Rental Package:
Rental cost for the cell phone and SIM card for use in mainland China, and at least 30 mins of FREE international calls.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Emeishan, Leshan, Hangzhou, Huangshan, Shanghai by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
Beijing To Xian Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Xian To Chengdu Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
CHENGDU To HANGZHOU Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Hangzhou To Huangshan Transfer via: Bus, (Our arrangements)
Huangshan To Shanghai Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
- Airport Tax and Fuel Fee
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
USA-CHINA/CHINA-USA: China Highlights has negotiated special discount fares (restrictions apply) for selected flights operated by Air China from major US and China gateways. We are able to offer these special deals to confirmed customers. Discount US to China Flights
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carryon baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm. More
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.
as an opportunity to meet local people and have true local food, and see what life is like for the Miao people. Mary our guide was the perfect person to show us the villages and find tasty places to eat, Read more
Kristi Nov. 30, 2010
We are the FIRST as well as the LARGEST online tour operator to meet the strict standards to be allowed to offer Paypal payment services to our foreign customers in China. This makes booking our tours even faster and more secure.