Tour Itinerary of Essence of Chengdu with Lhasa Trip
7-Day Chengdu and Lhasa Tour (CHT-TB-09)
During the 9-day tour of Chengdu, Lhasa and Shigatse, you will experience the culture of Chengdu, view the pandas at rest and play, and experience the mystery and scenery of Tibet.
- Tour Summary
- Full Itinerary
Place & Transport: Arrive in Chengdu, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Chengdu), A Free CH cell phone package
- A Free CH cell phone package:
A Free CH cell phone package includes free rental for the cell phone and SIM card (Includes prepaid value of CNY 50), delivery and collection in China. Return the phone to your guide when you depart. For more about the cell phone rental service, please click cell phone rental information.China Highlights also provides a Wi-Fi package so that you can connect to the internet in China anytime and anywhere. Our 3G service provides speeds of up to 21Mbps on your smart phone, pad or laptop, so you can stay in contact. For more detail please visit Wi-Fi rental information .
Place & Transport: Chengdu
Today's Activities: Jinli Old Street, Wu Hou Temple, Du Fu Thatched Cottage, Wangjiang Park
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Long Chao Shou Snack
- Jinli Old Street (1 hour): Once the commercial heart of the old kingdoms this ancient street has been fully restored in traditional Sichuan style. Picturesque, bustling, and cheerful, you can sample local arts and craft, traditional Chinese goods, food and delicacies, and even a Starbucks, local style.
- Wu Hou Temple (1.5 hours): The Marquis of Wu, Zhuge Liang (181-234) was the outstanding military strategist immortalized in "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" and in the saying wise as "the Marquis of Wu". Peaceful and attractive gardens surround several halls, including one dedicated to his memory and another to that of his emperor Liu Bei, some impressive statues, a small museum, a famous Tang Dynasty stele and the classic red wall leading to Liu Bei's tomb. A delightful complex.
- Du Fu Thatched Cottage (1.5 hours): A museum and memorial for Du Fu (712-770 AD), often called China's greatest poet, surrounded by a large and beautiful garden. Du Fu spent five years in Chengdu, the peak of his creativity, living in a thatched hut on this site.
- Wangjiang Park (1.5 hours): Wangjiang Park is located two kilometers east of Chengdu, on the south bank of the Jinjiang River. The park is renowned because the famous poet, Xue Tao (768-831), once lived here. She originally came from Chang'an and later moved to Chengdu with her father. And also famous for it's Bamboo.
- Long Chao Shou Snack: It is a time-honored snack bar with different kinds of snack. Ordering a package of snack it gives you a chance of tasting all the delicious food in Chengdu. The decoration is extravagant, but is also appearing traditional style of Chengdu.
Place & Transport: Chengdu
Today's Activities: Sanxingdui Museum in Guanghan, Panda Breeding and Research Center
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Sanxingdui Museum in Guanghan (2 hours): Founded in 1992, this museum occupies an area of 7000 square kilometers, and has a exhibition of the cultural relics excavated from No1 and No2 sacrificial pits of Shang Dynasty (from 16th-11th century B.C.). There are thousands of pieces of invaluable relics such as bronze ware, jade ware, gold ware, pottery, and bone ware on the exhibition, where you can get a closed look and learn more about the ancient China.
- Panda Breeding and Research Center (2.5 hours): Located 6 miles north of Chengdu City, it is home to giant pandas, red (or lesser) pandas, and other endangered species. Visit the nursery to see the highly successful breeding program, among the bamboo groves and shady walkways, and to view the pandas at rest or play. There is a panda museum where you can learn some information about giant pandas.
Note: The Panda Breeding and Research Center has a donation program which allows you take pictures with holding a panda one minute by donating RMB 2,000 Yuan (for reference only). Only 40 tourists are allowed to hold pandas a day. If you want to hold a panda, you must book it one day in advance.This program is subject to the availability of pandas on that day. Please bring enough RMB cash as payment by credit card is not accepted there.
Place & Transport: Chengdu to Lhasa, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Chengdu), Airport Transfer (Lhasa)
Place & Transport: Lhasa
Today's Activities: Barkhor Street, Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Kechu Hotel
- Barkhor Street (2 hours): Built about 1,300 years ago, The Barkhor (pilgrims' circuit) is found in the heart of Lhasa encircling the Jokhang Temple. In the past, it was a designated circumambulation circuit, "a saint's road" in the eyes of Tibetans. Many people call the Barkhor "the window of Tibet" as it exhibits typical Tibetan life. Watch the pilgrims, wearing their local dress from many different parts of Tibet, as they circle clockwise around Jokhang Temple with prayer wheels, or prostrate them near the front gate. Join the locals and visitors to shop for local goods at the colourful stalls, or relax in a coffee shop or tea house to enjoy the passing parade.
- Potala Palace (1 hour): Former winter home of the Dalai Lama, a vast, awe-inspiring maze of corridors and stairs leading through countless rooms of richly decorated statues, tombs, murals and antiques. You will climb past the White Palace into the Red Palace, where the file of pilgrims offering silk scarves, coins or yak butter to burn in the shrines combine to make this an unforgettable experience. Note: you need to be fit for climbing up the long stairways.
- Jokhang Temple (2 hours): Smaller and more manageable than the Potala, this 4-storey, golden-roofed temple is at the heart of a rich and living Tibetan Buddhism. Many locals pray here regularly; the Temple is surrounded by Barkhor Street and thronged with pilgrims and visitors. Yak butter lamps burn in front of rich statuary that includes the Sakyamuni Buddha brought to Tibet by Princess Wen Cheng in the 7th Century.
- Kechu Hotel : Located near Jokhang Temple,The Kechu hotel and restaurant has a beautiful garden and provides Tibetan and Nepal food.
Place & Transport: Lhasa
Today's Activities: Norbulingka, Drepung Monastery, Sera Monastery
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Lhasa Kitchen
- Norbulingka (2.5 hours): Norbulingka means "Jeweled Garden". Constructed as a summer palace for the Dalai Lama, it later served the whole government administration. It was built by the 7th Dalai Lama and served both administrative and religious purposes.
- Drepung Monastery (3.5 hours): Drepung Monastery lies in west of Lhasa under Mt. Gambo Utse, clustered round by the black mountain, its white grand buildings shining under the sunlight. Built in 1416, it is considered as one of the largest monasteries in the six principle monasteries of Gelu Sect in China. Drepung Monastery used to be the living palace of Dalai Lamas before the reconstruction of Potala palace (after the 5th Dalai Lamas was bestowed by Qing emperor Qianlong). The grand Shonton Festival is held in the early part of August every year. That is the busiest day there with crowds of people. It is an opportunity to enjoy the atmosphere of this festival.
- Sera Monastery (3 hours): Located in the northern suburbs of Lhasa, The Sera Monastery is a complex of 4 structures; the Great Assembly Hall and three colleges. It was founded in 1419 by Jamchen Chojey of Sakya Yeshe of Zel Gungtang (1355–1435), a disciple of Tsongkhapa. 'Sera' means wild roses and was called this because the monastery was surrounded by wild roses. One of the three main monasteries of Lhasa, it is here that the monks "famous daily debates" take place.
Tips: Every day (except Mondays) at 15:00, there is a debate about Buddhist doctrines among the monks at Sera Monastery. The debating is held in the grounds and is a necessary way of learning sutras and scriptures. Visitors can watch the debate, but it is advised to keep quiet.
- Lhasa Kitchen: Lhasa Kitchen is near the Jokhang Temple. It is decorated by merging Tibetan style with Indian, Nepalese, Chinese and Italian architecture. It serves a variety of styles of food.
|Nov.1 - Mar. 31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$1,439||$1,309||$1,239||$471/ $305/ $239|
|6-9 Persons||$1,239||$1,099||$1,009||$471/ $305/ $239|
|Apr.1 - Oct.31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$1,639||$1,499||$1,319||$628/ $449/ $276|
|6-9 Persons||$1,449||$1,299||$1,099||$628/ $449/ $276|
Note: A Tibet Travel Permit is required to enter Tibet in addition to a China Visa. The Tibet Tourism Administration has recently indicated that they will tighten the regulations which control the issuance of Tibet Travel Permits. Besides now having to enter Tibet in a group of five people or more of the same nationality, the permit will be issued just 4-5 days before arriving in Lhasa. This means that we are unable to guarantee that a permit to travel will be approved. Also the permit will need to be sent to the place of departure in China for Lhasa by express courier. The additional cost will be 300–400 CNY. Your travel advisor will provide additional information. We apologize for this extra cost. However, it is out of our control.
Tour Class Comparison (Demo for Beijing)
|Superior ( 5 Star )||Deluxe (4 Star)||Economy (4/3 Star)|
|Crowne Plaza Beijing||Sunworld Hotel||Days Inn Forbidden City|
Hotels We Selected for This Tour
|City||Superior Class||Deluxe Class||Tourist Class|
|Chengdu||Sofitel Wanda Chengdu||Tianfu Sunshine Hotel Chengdu||Minshan Lhasa Grand Hotel|
|Lhasa||Brahmaputra Grand Hotel||Xinding Hotel||ShangBaLa Hotel|
Excellent Local Guides
We selected the most experienced tour guides in each city. They are all very professional and flexible during the tour with oustanding knowledge of all the sites and history.
Our Luxury Car for Families
We use the modern air-conditioned luxury cars for families or 2-3 persons. The comfort and safety of our customers is of utmost importance, so we ensure that all of the vehicles that we use are well-maintained and always very clean.
Comfortable People Carrier for Small Groups
We use only air-conditioned small buses for small groups of 4-7 persons. Our drivers are very nice and careful with over 5-year drive experience.
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Chengdu, Lhasa by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
Chengdu To Lhasa Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
- Airport Tax and Fuel Fee
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
USA-CHINA/CHINA-USA: China Highlights has negotiated special discount fares (restrictions apply) for selected flights operated by Air China from major US and China gateways. We are able to offer these special deals to confirmed customers. Discount US to China Flights
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carryon baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm. More
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.