Tour Itinerary of World Heritage Explosion Tour
12-Day Beijing, Dunhuang, Xian, Shanghai and Huangshan Tour (CHT-WH-07)
This odyssey takes you to some of the best world cultural heritages. See how the Emperors lived at the Forbidden City and discover the mystery of the Entombed Warriors amaze. The Silk Road culture in Dunhuang and a well known mountain - Huangshan will enrich your world heritage tour.
- Tour Summary
- Full Itinerary
Place & Transport: Arrive in Beijing, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Airport Transfer (Beijing), A Free CH cell phone package
- A Free CH cell phone package:
A Free CH cell phone package includes free rental for the cell phone and SIM card (Includes prepaid value of CNY 50), delivery and collection in China. Return the phone to your guide when you depart. For more about the cell phone rental service, please click cell phone rental information.China Highlights also provides a Wi-Fi package so that you can connect to the internet in China anytime and anywhere. Our 3G service provides speeds of up to 21Mbps on your smart phone, pad or laptop, so you can stay in contact. For more detail please visit Wi-Fi rental information .
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: Tiananmen Square, The Forbidden City, Hutong Tour in Xicheng District
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Jing Mian Da Wang Restaurant (Di'anmen Branch)
- Tiananmen Square (50 minutes): Tian'anmen Square is the largest city square in the centre of Beijing, named after the Tiananmen (literally, Gate of Heavenly Peace) which sits to its north, separating it from the Forbidden City. It has great cultural significance as it was the site of several key events in Chinese history. As the world's largest city square and enduring symbol of China's national pride, it is surrounded by many imposing buildings including the Heavenly Gate (entry to the Forbidden City), Museums, government buildings and Chairman Mao's Mausoleum.
- The Forbidden City (2.5 hours): The Forbidden City was home to 24 emperors between 1368 and 1911.This "city within a city" is a World Heritage Site, and is the largest and the best preserved ancient imperial architecture complex in the world, with great square, halls and gates contrast with intricate halls, gardens, courtyards and quarters. The exhibitions, both permanent and temporary, are all important treasures of ancient China.
- Hutong Tour in Xicheng District (1 hour): Hutong is a maze of historic alleyways with old single storey traditional courtyard houses, which are now fast disappearing. In this one hour tour, you can hop on a rickshaw to ride through the narrow alleys as well as visit a local family then walk on the Silver Ingot Bridge (Yinding Bridge) and find out about the different thresholds of the courtyards.
- Jing Mian Da Wang Restaurant (Di'anmen Branch): This restaurant of typical Chinese style, it serves authentic dishes of Old Beijing fare - hand-pulled noodles, cold dishes, snack foods and more. Having the taste of the tasty noodles, usually eaten with a thick sesame and soy-based sauce.
Place & Transport: Beijing
Today's Activities: Temple of Heaven, The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car), Cloisonne Factory
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant
- Temple of Heaven (1.5 hours): Built in 1420 during the Ming Dynasty, Temple of Heaven is a complex of Taoist buildings where emperors of Ming and Qing dynasties visited for annual ceremonies of pray for good harvests. Located in the south of Central Beijing, it covers an area of 273 hectares. Temple of Heaven was enrolled as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998.
- The Mutianyu Great Wall(with round way cable car) (2 hours): This less-crowded section of the Great Wall is a about 2.5 hours' drive from downtown Beijing. A cable car takes you to a good section (avoiding a very steep climb), where you can walk along the wall, through the watch towers and enjoy superb views as it snakes across the hills and mountains. You can return by cable car, walk down or walk along the wall for about an hour to descend by chairlift. Wear good walking shoes and protection from the weather.
- Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant: Xin Shuang Quan Restaurant is near Great Wall of Mutianyu section. This garden style restaurant serves farmhouse dishes, specializing in rainbow trout, sturgeon and salmon. The fabulous taste will leave you with great memories.
- Cloisonne Factory: Cloisonne is an intricate and detailed process, dating back over 700 years, to produce fine enamel on a copper base. You can watch the workers at all stages of the process to see how these beautiful objects are produced. There's a showroom attached for those who would like a souvenir of the visit, big or small, and all objects are guaranteed. This is a popular place for those looking for special, quality souvenirs. China Highlights customers have the opportunity to see the manufacturing process. This is an exclusive offer for our customers! There is no pressure to buy!
Address: No.488, Wujia village, Huanrou town, Beijing City
Place & Transport: Beijing to Dunhuang, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Summer Palace, Hotel to airport Transfer (Beijing), Airport Transfer (Dunhuang)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Hancang Hakka Restaurant
- Summer Palace (1.5 hours): Much-loved summer retreat of the Imperial families, the lovely landscaped gardens, halls, pavilions and corridors are set around the lake and rivers in natural harmony. It is the largest and best preserved imperial garden in China, and also a World Heritage Site.
- Hancang Hakka Restaurant: Hancang Hakka Restaurant is conveniently located on the east bank of Shicha Hai Lake and has a traditional Chinese environment and culture. It serves the very popular cuisine of the Hakka minority group.
Place & Transport: Dunhuang
Today's Activities: Mogao caves, The Singing Sand Mountains and Crescent Spring, Riding on a Camel
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Fengqingyuan Restaurant
- Mogao caves (3.5 hours): Tours of Mogao caves are conducted by a guide (English, German, French and Japanese speaking guides are available) who you will share with other tourists. There are about 30 caves open to the public, but usually the tour consists of 10 which provide a representation of the total. The selection is at the discretion of the guide.
- The Singing Sand Mountains and Crescent Spring (2 hours): Crescent Spring (Yueya Quan) is in the Singing Sand Mountains (Mingsha Shan), 6 km (4 mi) south of Dunhuang. It is an oasis in the desert. The spring's name derives from the crescent-shaped lake formed by the spring water between two huge sand dunes. Although the area is very dry, the pool doesn't dry up as one might expect.
- Riding on a Camel: Riding a camel on the desert of the Singing Sand Mountains is a great experience. You can enjoy the beautiful wavy shapes of the smooth yellow dunes against the deep blue sky, and imagine you are traveling the ancient Silk Road. Step off the camel and listen for the singing of the sand.
- Fengqingyuan Restaurant: The restaurant is near the Moon Spring in Dunhuang. It is courtyard-style and the cuisine is based on local flavors. It is very popular with the locals.
Place & Transport: Dunhuang to Xian, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Yumenguan Pass, Desert Discovery at Yadan Landform Park, The Great Wall of the Han Dynasty, Hotel to airport Transfer (Dunhuang), Airport Transfer (Xian)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- Yumenguan Pass (30 minutes): Once as one of the west gates out of the country of the Han Dynasty (206 B. C. -220 A. D.), it is quite ruined by the shifting sands but still shows the ever splendor.
Yumeng Town: The site of China’s first oil field
- Desert Discovery at Yadan Landform Park (2.5 hours): The Evil City:It locates the south to the Wubao town in Hami and 20kms far from Wubao while 100kms far from Hami city. The Evil city is famous for its night sound and vivid rocks in various shapes those look like animals or other world famous attractions in the world.
- The Great Wall of the Han Dynasty (30 minutes): Great wall of the Han dynasty was build for defending the nomadic Xiongnu during the Han Dynasty (206 BC--220 AD).
Place & Transport: Xian
Today's Activities: The Terracotta Warriors and Horses, Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts center
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant(Qinling Branch)
- The Terracotta Warriors and Horses (2 hours): Discovered accidentally in 1974, this incredible army of over 7000 soldiers, archers, horses and chariots in full battle array has guarded Emperor Qin's tomb since 210BC. Each figure is unique, and the painstaking repair and excavation continues in 3 pits which are protected inside huge hangars. 1.5 hours from Xian, there is also an excellent museum and film about the history of the vaults. Photos (no flash) are allowed. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Big Wild Goose Pagoda (1 hour): A major Buddhist site, the simple, elegant brick Pagoda stands in the grounds of the attractive Da Ci'en Temple. The Pagoda was built in the 7th century to house the Buddhist materials that Xuanzang (Tripitaka) brought back from his epic journey to India. The Temple complex has several large halls with some great Buddhist statues and murals.
- A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant(Qinling Branch): A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant was established in 2004, mainly specializes in Hunan and Sichuan cuisine. It provides delicacy by using the material from Shanxi, obtaining a nationwide reputation from customers. It would be a nice choice to dine while traveling the nearby Terra cotta Warriors and Horses.
- Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts center: Xi'an Imperial Fine Arts mainly manufactures jade carvings and lacquer ware. Tourists can learn how the fine Chinese jade carved and the function of jade.
Place & Transport: Xian to Shanghai, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Shaanxi History Museum, Ancient City Wall, Hotel to airport Transfer (Xian), Airport Transfer (Shanghai)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Guohua Restaurant
- Shaanxi History Museum (1.5 hours): The history of Shaanxi is said to be the history of China, and this museum is quite simply one of the nation's best. Four major galleries in large, Tang-style buildings house a vast and impressive collection, beautifully displayed. Most of the item labels are in English, although some other information on the exhibitions is not, but your guide can help here. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Ancient City Wall (30 minutes): The walls, ramparts, gates and watchtowers form one of the oldest and most complete city defenses still around. Built in the 13th century on the foundations of the original Tang Forbidden City, it s surrounding the city centre. You can walk or pay extra cost to rent a bike (CNY40 per person), rickshaw (CNY45 per person for 45 minutes) or an electric cart (CNY40 per person) around the full 14km circuit, with great views of the city on either side. If the weather is not good for biking on the city wall, we will substitute a visit to the Bell Tower. Your guide will be very glad to take you the Bell Tower after you have been to look at the city wall.
- Guohua Restaurant: Located near Big Wild Goose Pagoda, the restaurant serves Cantonese food and is famous for its sea food. The restaurant is nicely decorated, and is a long established restaurant popular with the locals.
Place & Transport: Shanghai
Today's Activities: Yuyuan Garden, Yuyuan Market, Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall, The Shanghai World Financial Center, The Bund, Jiangnan Silk Shop and Workshop
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Home's Restaurant
- Yuyuan Garden (1 hour): Yuyuan Garden is located in the center of Shanghai old quarters. It was a private garden built in 1559 during the Ming Dynasty, with typical Chinese classic architecture and style. The complex covers an area of 2 hectares, with rockeries, pavilions, ponds and corridors. Yuyuan Garden is surrounding by a busy market place, where visitors can find everything from popular local snacks, handicrafts, antiques and souvenirs to some famous time-honored restaurants.
- Yuyuan Market (30 minutes): Located next to the Yuyuan Garden and also known today as the City God Temple, it was built in the fifteenth century during the Ming Dynasty. The City God Temple is a Taoist temple which is composed of many halls such as the Grand Hall, Middle Hall, Bedroom Palace, Star Gods Hall and etc. The City God Temple has a great influence on the residents of Shanghai. The religious festivals of the temple are considered to be festivals for all Shanghai people.
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (1 hour): A short walk across Renmin Square from the Shanghai Museum, this is a fascinating insight into Shanghai's future. The 2nd floor has a giant walkaround model of the city, and other floors have great displays, interactive exhibitions and walkthroughs of aspects such as the ports, greening, leisure etc.
- The Shanghai World Financial Center (40 minutes): Shanghai World Financial Center is located in Pudong District, reaching a height of 492 meters (1,615 feet). It is now a new landmark of prosperous Shanghai. It was the second tallest building in the world when it was completed in 2007. Its observation deck, at 474 meters (1,555 feet) above the ground, is currently the tallest in the world. The multi-function skyscraper consists of hotels, apartments, restaurants, shopping malls, offices and observation decks.
- The Bund (40 minutes): This 1.5-kilometer-long embankment runs along the western bank of Huangpu River. On its west side it is the "architecture gallery" with 52 well-preserved old European style buildings. Once the major trading and commercial center of old Shanghai, the Bund has now taken on new vitality, with futuristic developments, chic restaurants, top end shops and bars offer plenty to see and do-and by night it's magic!
- Home's Restaurant: Home's Restaurant is located near the Nanjing Road. It specializes in Shanghai cuisine using the best local ingredients. Smoked fish and red jujube with sticky rice are well known in Shanghai. The restaurant enjoys a great reputation with diners from many parts of China and abroad.
- Jiangnan Silk Shop and Workshop: See how silk is produced from the cocoons of silk worms, and turned into the beautiful fabric we all know and love. Silk filled duvets are excellent value, and the showroom offers everything from small souvenirs to larger items. The beauty of real silk is that it's so light, and packs really easily.
Address: 289, Ao'men Road, Putuo District, Shanghai
Place & Transport: Shanghai to Huangshan, Flight No. TBA
Today's Activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Shanghai), Airport Transfer (Huangshan), , Tunxi Ancient Street, Tunxi Ancient Street
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Mei Shi Ren Jia Restaurant
- Tunxi Ancient Street (1 hour): It's located in the center of the old city of Tunxi,there are hundreds of old but well preserved rows of shops, evoking a bygone era in buildings that are simple and elegant. It is a commercial street that is only for pedestrians.
- Mei Shi Ren Jia Restaurant: Located in center of the old street, Mei Shi Ren Jia Restaurant serves Hui cuisine and Hangzhou cuisine. It is decorated in a Chinese style with a cozy environment. The restaurant also caters to a variety of cuisine especially specializes in dim sum, which has earned a wide prestige in locals.
- Tunxi Ancient Street: Tunxi Ancient Street is a business street, most of the building were built in Ming and Qing dynasties. It is a free market which sells local products.
Place & Transport: Huangshan
Today's Activities: The Yellow Mountains, Yungu Cable Car
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
- The Yellow Mountains (6 hours): Located in the south of Anhui Province, with an area of about 1,200 square kilometers, known as "the loveliest mountain in China",famous for magnificent scenery whatever the season: granite peaks piercing the clouds, strangely shaped rocks and gnarled trees, hot springs, waterfalls, wonderful outlooks and over 1500 plant species. No traffic within the core area of about 150 square kilometres, accessible by cable car or on foot. Many enticing walks of all grades, all include some steps.
- Yungu Cable Car (10 minutes): You can enjoy the scenery along the way as you ascend or descend the Yellow Mountain by cable car.
Place & Transport: Depart Huangshan, Flight not included
Today's Activities: Yungu Cable Car, Hongcun Village, Hotel to airport Transfer (Huangshan)
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Leigang villa
- Yungu Cable Car (10 minutes): You can enjoy the scenery along the way as you ascend or descend the Yellow Mountain by cable car.
- Hongcun Village (1.5 hours): It's located about 10 kilometers off the northeast part of Yixian County. An ancient village over 800 years old leaning against Mt. Huangshan, it is folded in the fog of the Mt Huangshan, which makes it look like a natural landscape painting. Parts of the famous film "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon" were made here.
Surrounded by a picturesque moat with bridges to the village and a half-moon shaped pond in the centre, it is a favourite haunt of artists and students who often stay with local families to paint here. Laid out to represent a buffalo, it is one of the prettiest places in the area, known as the Chinese town in the pictures and has been listed by UNESCO for its beauty and largely undeveloped traditional streets and houses. Various halls, dwellings and an old school are open to visitors.
- Leigang villa: Located on the top of the Leigang hill, Leigang Villa restaurant serves local style Chinese food. Lunch is served in a beautiful environment with pleasant scenery, as the restaurant is surrounded by a forest of bamboo and peach trees. The restaurant has a bird's eye view of Hongcun village.
|Nov.1 - Mar. 31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$3,419||$3,199||$3,079||$795/ $572/ $463|
|6-9 Persons||$2,919||$2,699||$2,599||$795/ $572/ $463|
|Apr.1 - Oct.31||Superior||Deluxe||Economy||Single Room Supplement *|
|2-5 Persons||$3,709||$3,399||$3,299||$1,002/ $690/ $568|
|6-9 Persons||$3,199||$2,869||$2,739||$1,002/ $690/ $568|
Tour Class Comparison (Demo for Beijing)
|Superior ( 5 Star )||Deluxe (4 Star)||Economy (4/3 Star)|
|Crowne Plaza Beijing||Sunworld Hotel||Days Inn Forbidden City|
Hotels We Selected for This Tour
|City||Superior Class||Deluxe Class||Tourist Class|
|Beijing||Crowne Plaza Beijing||Sunworld Hotel Beijing||Days Inn Forbidden City Hotel Beijing|
|Dunhuang||The silk Road Dunhuang Hotel||Dunhuang Hotel||Dunhuang Yangguan Hotel|
|Xian||Sofitel on Renmin Square Xian||Grand Noble Hotel||Xian Skytel Hotel|
|Shanghai||Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World||The Bund Hotel Shanghai||Kingtown Hotel Plaza Shanghai|
|Huangshan||Huangshan Golf Hotel(in the city)||Huangshan International Hotel(in the city)||Xinan Country Villa Hotel(in the city)|
|Huangshan||Beihai Hotel Huangshan||Beihai Hotel Huangshan||Beihai Hotel Huangshan|
Excellent Local Guides
We selected the most experienced tour guides in each city. They are all very professional and flexible during the tour with oustanding knowledge of all the sites and history.
Our Luxury Car for Families
We use the modern air-conditioned luxury cars for families or 2-3 persons. The comfort and safety of our customers is of utmost importance, so we ensure that all of the vehicles that we use are well-maintained and always very clean.
Comfortable People Carrier for Small Groups
We use only air-conditioned small buses for small groups of 4-7 persons. Our drivers are very nice and careful with over 5-year drive experience.
- Entrance Fees:
To scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
- Phone Rental Package:
Rental cost for the cell phone and SIM card for use in mainland China, and at least 30 mins of FREE international calls.
All meals as specified in the itinerary.
If the restaurant indicated is not available on the day, your guide will arrange another restaurant from our list of approved restaurants. Breakfast is usually a western style buffet. We endeavor to ensure that a choice of western and Chinese breakfasts is supplied, however there may be occasions when only a Chinese breakfast is available in some remote locations.
- Private Transfers:
Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in Beijing, Dunhuang, Xian, Shanghai, Huangshan by private air conditioned vehicle with a driver and English-speaking guide (as listed above).
Your comfort is our priority! Click here to get a description of the vehicles that we use for our tours.
As outlined in the itinerary an English-speaking guide and driver will be provided in each city, who will remain with you throughout your time in that city. A new guide and a new driver will meet you at each city on your tour, to provide you with the best local knowledge available.
Hotel fees are based on two people sharing one room with twin beds.
All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or Chinese breakfast. All rooms are air-conditioned with private facilities unless specified.
Beijing To Dunhuang Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Dunhuang To Xian Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Xian To Shanghai Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
Shanghai To Huangshan Transfer via: Flight, TBA (Our arrangements)
- Airport Tax for Domestic Flights
Airport Tax and Fuel Fee for Flights if applicable
- Service Charge & Government Taxes:
The insurance is China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
Click here to learn more about the insurance coverage and the sum insured.
- Luggage Transfers:
Between airports and hotels.
The tour cost includes planning, handling, operational and communication charges.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
USA-CHINA/CHINA-USA: China Highlights has negotiated special discount fares (restrictions apply) for selected flights operated by Air China from major US and China gateways. We are able to offer these special deals to confirmed customers. Discount US to China Flights
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
Passengers holding an adult fare or half fare ticket are entitled to a free baggage allowance of 20kg, for economy class. Total weight of carryon baggage for each passenger may not exceed 5kg. The size may not exceed 20x40x 55cm. More
- Personal Expenses:
Expenses of a purely personal nature such as laundry, drinks, fax, telephone calls, optional activities, sightseeing or meals which are not included in the tour itinerary.
Any meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.